Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE.

Natural, unprocessed foods without additives, hormones, etc. Organic, whole foods. Healthy fats vs unhealthy fats. Less sugar. Protein that isn't pumped full of hormones. Plenty of liquids that AREN'T empty calories. Lessening anything that's addictive (caffeine, alcohol, sugars, etc.). I found that I wasn't getting enough sleep, and once I started getting more, I noticed the fat caused by stress (around my middle) started falling off. AMAZING.

I also bumped my caloric intake UP from 1200 calories a day to about 1500 calories a day and actually started losing weight FASTER (I need to lose about 25 pounds that I picked up after an injury that put me in a cast for 8 months and very limited mobility for a year).
Yes! A doctor told a friend of ours that the reason he wasn't losing weight was the he actually wasn't eating enough! I'm not sure why that is, or how it works, but maybe over time if enough calories are not getting consumed the body tries to conserve....

I personally have lost weight (about 30 lbs) but need to lose about 20 more. I work out a LOT, but this last 20 is hard to move. Still, I would rather be healthy, so I eat well of healthy foods and figure sooner or later my weight will stabilize where it should be. I am by no means obese, I am tall, have good muscle tone and carry the extra weight well; I just need to get more belly fat off, basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM

35 posts, read 71,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
a plant-based whole foods diet has been shown to effectively lower your risk to numerous diseases and promotion a healthy weight.

Nothing of the kind has been shown. The only 'science' done on them is a handful of badly designed observational studies. (Only clinical studies show causal linkage. Observational studies were never designed to prove anything. They are used to determine if the subject should be looked into further; i.e. whether or not clinical studies should be set up to study the subject.)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
Quote:
What extremes? You keep saying you can "eat as many veggies as we want including sweet potatoes", but that is obviously false. You can't eat as many high carb (and veggies and tubers are all high carb) foods as you want and still be on a low-carb diet. You have to eat them in limited amounts.....
PALEO IS NOT BY DEFINITION LOW CARB. I cannot believe how many people incorrectly assume this. Unless you are trying to lose weight, you are indeed permitted to eat as many sweet potatoes as you want. A paleo diet is not a ketogenic diet, just as a ketogenic diet is not a paleo diet. Cutting is usually best achieved by going low carb paleo, but there are plenty of people maintaining or bulking who practice paleo and they can eat as many carbs as they want, as long as they come from fruits and vegetables, not grains.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantenec View Post
Nothing of the kind has been shown. The only 'science' done on them is a handful of badly designed observational studies. (Only clinical studies show causal linkage. Observational studies were never designed to prove anything.
Of course it has, there are numerous studies on this, observational, epidemiological and clinical. Obviously, due to ethical considerations, what you can do in clinical studies is often limited....but this is a factor in all nutritional science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
PALEO IS NOT BY DEFINITION LOW CARB. I cannot believe how many people incorrectly assume this. Unless you are trying to lose weight, you are indeed permitted to eat as many sweet potatoes as you want.
Right, the paleo diet is instead "defined" by food restrictions that make no sense at all. But it is in practice a low-carbohydrate diet because once you remove the suggested foods its difficult to get enough calories without significant amounts of animal foods. The paleo diet is a tool to get people to eat more meat, you won't find a single paleo author suggesting a diet of potatoes and fruit. Instead these things are "okay" to eat with your meats, eggs, etc.

Grains and legumes aren't essential foods though, you can get the same nutrients from vegetables, fruit, nuts. So you could create a vegan paleo diet around vegetables, fruits and nuts.....it would just be more difficult to maintain than one that included grains and legumes. And why avoid grains and legumes? No good reason.....

Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
Quote:
But it is in practice a low-carbohydrate diet because once you remove the suggested foods its difficult to get enough calories without significant amounts of animal foods.
It is what you make it. It depends how many fruits and starchy vegetables you consume. I guess if you consider the average american consumption as your benchmark for high carb then getting only 150g of carbs a day would be considered low, but that is definitely not what I would consider a low carb diet. It is also not at all difficult to meet caloric requirements after cutting out grains, dairy, and sugar and that does not require gorging on meat. That is why paleo emphasizes consumption of healthy fats. If you haven't heard, fat has 9 calories per gram while carbs have only 4. I fail to see how anyone can have trouble getting enough calories for the day as long as they include healthy fats in their diet.

Quote:
The paleo diet is a tool to get people to eat more meat.
No it is not. I eat approximately the same amount of meat/same serving sizes of meat as I did on a standard american diet. The main difference is in cutting out processed foods/grains/sugars/dairy, and increasing healthy fats and veggie consumption by a lot.

Quote:
you won't find a single paleo author suggesting a diet of potatoes and fruit. Instead these things are "okay" to eat with your meats, eggs, etc.
Well duh. Then it would just be a vegetarian diet. And vegetables and fruit are not just considered "okay," they are an essential part of the plan. This is not Atkins, you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables on paleo. I get about 3 servings of veggies/fruit at each meal usually. Please refrain from echoing false information

Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
PALEO IS NOT BY DEFINITION LOW CARB. I cannot believe how many people incorrectly assume this. Unless you are trying to lose weight, you are indeed permitted to eat as many sweet potatoes as you want. A paleo diet is not a ketogenic diet, just as a ketogenic diet is not a paleo diet. Cutting is usually best achieved by going low carb paleo, but there are plenty of people maintaining or bulking who practice paleo and they can eat as many carbs as they want, as long as they come from fruits and vegetables, not grains.
But this thread is in the DIET AND WEIGHT LOSS forum, because the OP wants to discuss diets as they pertain to weight loss. And so yes, a Paleo diet for the purpose of weight loss IS a low-carb diet.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I can only go by my experience. I have now lost 60 pounds in the last year by adhering to a vegan diet -low fat, no added oils, high in good carbs with moderate regular exercise including weights. I feel great and I am happy with the way I look.

So say what you will about the fallacies of a low fat diet. My emperical evidence proves to me that it does work.

How many here are struggling with their weight? Lose a few and can't seem to lose more? Binge, cheat, give up or lose and gain it all back?

I never hit a plateau. I never feel the need or desire to binge or cheat (I cannot say this about any other weight loss plan I have done including Weight Watchers). I am actually looking to maintain my weight and not lose any more because I am a few pounds below my goal. But I am eating what I want and the amount that I want.

A balanced low fat vegan diet works. Not to say it is the only diet that works but for me low fat vegan is the way to go. My husband and I are in this way of eating for the long haul...we are believers.

Here is an interesting article about the best diet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...iet.html?_r=2&

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-04-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Quote:
It is what you make it. It depends how many fruits and starchy vegetables you consume. I guess if you consider the average american consumption as your benchmark for high carb then getting only 150g of carbs a day would be considered low, but that is definitely not what I would consider a low carb diet. It is also not at all difficult to meet caloric requirements after cutting out grains, dairy, and sugar and that does not require gorging on meat. That is why paleo emphasizes consumption of healthy fats. If you haven't heard, fat has 9 calories per gram while carbs have only 4. I fail to see how anyone can have trouble getting enough calories for the day as long as they include healthy fats in their diet.

No it is not. I eat approximately the same amount of meat/same serving sizes of meat as I did on a standard american diet. The main difference is in cutting out processed foods/grains/sugars/dairy, and increasing healthy fats and veggie consumption by a lot.

Well duh. Then it would just be a vegetarian diet. And vegetables and fruit are not just considered "okay," they are an essential part of the plan. This is not Atkins, you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables on paleo. I get about 3 servings of veggies/fruit at each meal usually. Please refrain from echoing false information
The Atkins diet advocates getting most of your carbs from non-starchy vegetables. People on Atkins are permitted to have lower glycemic fruits depending upon what phase of the diet they are in. A lot of people even make their way up to legumes and grains.

I'm on the Atkins diet and I'm allowed to have berries and other lower glycemic fruits most days of the week. I also average 3-5 cups of veggies daily. I don't really eat that much more meat than the average American. In fact my lunches are usually vegetarian.

May I ask that you also refrain from "echoing false information".

Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The Atkins diet advocates getting most of your carbs from non-starchy vegetables. People on Atkins are permitted to have lower glycemic fruits depending upon what phase of the diet they are in. A lot of people even make their way up to legumes and grains.

I'm on the Atkins diet and I'm allowed to have berries and other lower glycemic fruits most days of the week. I also average 3-5 cups of veggies daily. I don't really eat that much more meat than the average American. In fact my lunches are usually vegetarian.

May I ask that you also refrain from "echoing false information".
Please see the link posted above with regards to the Atkins diet.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Please see the link posted above with regards to the Atkins diet.
My doctor is ok with me being on Atkins. I just had some lab work done where my results came back just fine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss