Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times

Advertisements

What exactly are these made of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
They're japanese noodles. Those skinny slimy translucent beigy noodles; made from the ground dried tuber called Devil's Tongue.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
actually I go to the whole foods in RIdgewood, nj and they carry it. But when they dont I suck it up and have it shipped its so worth it. Its excellent. However I do order 3 loaves and freeze it. Its the best low carb bread. However,if your not a bread person then no big deal. I am a huge bread junkie and needed to find something that was low carb and not an air bread if you get the drift. This bread has some substance and only 8 carbs per slice. Its pretty darn heavy for the slice so it works for me. I dont eat the house out. Those air low carb breads set me up to binge.
Yeah, a lot of the low carb "substitute" foods like tortillas and the like set me up for a binge too. That's the same reason I can't eat just 1 cup of regular pasta once a week or even once a month like someone suggested earlier in this thread. That sends me on a serious binge.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Here's the ingredients listed on the package:

Purified water, Konnyaku (Glucomannan) and Calcium Hydroxide.

Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy products.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Here's the ingredients listed on the package:

Purified water, Konnyaku (Glucomannan) and Calcium Hydroxide.

Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy products.
Right. And Konnyaku is one version of the word "konjac," which is another name for Devil's Tongue. It's a tuber.

I'm not sure why they add calcium hydroxide, possibly to give the noodles a little flavor. It has a lot of uses, mostly industrial, but is also a pickling agent.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I haven't tried these yet,but I have tried Walden farms,another company that offers calorie free food.
I like the salad dressings,but they have ketchup and sauces too.
The question I have to ask is if I eat miracle noodles with the no calorie sauce for a day,would that be considered negative calores for the day even though you are still eating and feel full?

What I'm thinking about doing is eating 1700 calories of food a day,but between meals when I'm hungry eat Miracle noodles with the no calorie Alfredo sauce from Walden Farms.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post
Steve,

I didn't care for the Zero carb bread either. It has no taste at all. It is way too expensive too. Where can you get this When Pigs Fly bread? Can you order it online? Not all of the bread from Julian's bakery is bad though. The bread that has one carb is not too bad. It is a little dry but it was edible.
yes on line and so worth the money. Trust me, if you are a bread person like I am its worth it!!! I am the bread junkie. Like I said its not that air bread, its all natural, no crap in it, no fake chemicals, heavy body to it, toasts great and everyone loves it that I give aloaf too!!! Online at when pigs fly.com they are in the state of MA. Ohh and no blood sugar raises!!! You know I have had Trader Joe's tortilla's low carb and wind up eating the whole damn package because despite I like them they dont fill me up. So I just keep eating them, this bread does not do that to me! Its got some substance. I do not work for the company , just found a loaf , tried it, tested blood sugar, loved it and was off to bread bliss!! Ohh and it did not stall weight loss!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

141 posts, read 426,287 times
Thanks Steve I will have to check it out! I love bread too and it has been really hard doing low carb without it. Sweets I can do without but I love a good sandwich. I am not diabetic but I am insulin resistant. If i eat a lot of starchy foods I feel tired and bloated for the rest of the day. Our local Hy-vee carries some of the low carb foods and the nearest Trader Joe's is 3 hrs away in St. Louis. I have to buy most of my low carb products online.

Stef

Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Thanks Steve. They went on sale today at Amazon, so I ordered them anyway. LOL I bet I'm gonna regret spending my hard-earned money on them, but decided I need to try them for myself.
I enjoyed them. Open them, put them in a strainer and run cold water. After that I cook my vegetables in a wok, boil the noodles as per the package and then add it into the wok.

We enjoy them.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
actually I go to the whole foods in RIdgewood, nj and they carry it. But when they dont I suck it up and have it shipped its so worth it. Its excellent. However I do order 3 loaves and freeze it. Its the best low carb bread. However,if your not a bread person then no big deal. I am a huge bread junkie and needed to find something that was low carb and not an air bread if you get the drift. This bread has some substance and only 8 carbs per slice. Its pretty darn heavy for the slice so it works for me. I dont eat the house out. Those air low carb breads set me up to binge.
We're supposed to be getting a Whole Foods here in the next year. Hopefully they'll carry it too. I do miss bread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss