Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,847,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also - re: the bonobo chimp:

The bonobo's primary diet is fruit (just like most chimps). They also (just like most chimps) enjoy leaves, insects, meat from flying squirrels and other animals, including lower-order primates, and there has been one documented case of cannibalism in the wild.
The cannibalism reference is meaningless, as humans have participated in that as well. Here's just one well-known example.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Me, either. I draw the line at insects.
Sure, you weren't raised with them....but when was the last time you tried one? Insects have been a part of our ancestors diet for millions of years and are still consumed throughout the world today.

Heck, there are restaurants here (in Los Angeles) that serve insects.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,634,805 times
Ok, I've read all the responses and a few of them are really informative, thanks. To be honest, I've really had a hard time with eating just fruits and vegetables......I just can't satisfy my hunger. So I've backed up a little bit and added bread and a little meat and that seems to be working well. I'm still not against an all veggie/fruit diet as a short term solution but at this point I just can't do it. If I could "juice" with more greens and spinach maybe my hunger wouldn't be so bad but like I said before, I can't stand the smell of the stuff.

I would love to be able to become a vegetarian and despite someone's claims, I have visited the vegetarian forum but reading only. I don't feel a need to "post" there because I'm not looking to become one, just wanted to do the fruit/veggie thing as a jump-start to an otherwise "balanced" long-term diet. Apparently it's not going to work out anyway, but thanks for your input.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with this sentiment. We are asked to give opinions, and we do, and then we're told our opinions are not wanted, because the OP doesn't agree with them. It sounds to me like the OP is looking for people to validate the choices she's already made, and not for opinions that might not provide that validation. I recommended already that she check out the vegetarian forum, and she never went to post there. She's asking about a healthy vegetarian diet, there are dozens and dozens of posts in the vegetarian forum about that very topic, that she could get all kinds of information.

Eating a vegetarian diet can be -dangerous- unless you learn how. It is not something that comes naturally, because we are naturally omnivores. We need to -learn- how to give ourselves proper nutrition without flesh or dairy, when we endeavor to eliminate those things from our daily menu. We need to learn which non-flesh and non-dairy foods will provide the same nourishment, the same vitamins and minerals that our bodies NEED to be healthy.

You need to do that first. Which is why I said - and continue to say: go to the vegetarian forum, where you will find a wealth of information that can help you.
AnonChick , I am curious about how all of this high protein eating that you advocate is working for you?

I am over 50 years old and at a good weight for my body. I've raised two children on a plant based diet. My husband is the same. Our blood pressures are low, our cholesterol count is good and every once in a while we fast.

It hasn't killed us yet.

I am curious what training you have in nutrition and dietetics. Do you have some? Or a medical background? You are so passionate about protein and post so frequently against vegetarianism, veganism, fasting that I am wondering why you feel this way.

I am sincerely curious as to why you feel so strongly. I wonder if you "doth protest too much." Or you are a rancher or a meat processing plant worker.

If anything, Americans consume too much protein. Our meat loving nation spends money on liposuction, diet foods, diet programs and exercise equipment that many times they never use. But they never consider the obvious.

The Atkins diet never helped Dr. Atkins. But it made him wealthy. I can attest to that.

I met him at a party, and he was fat and very vociferous and almost belligerent about his strange dietary beliefs.

The late doctor was extremely critical, hostile even, about my way of eating.

He was telling me how healthy his "diet" was and how unhealthy mine was.

Here he was, a huge man advocating a diet that essentially throws the body into a state of ketosis, the same thing that happens to untreated diabetics, standing there unhealthy, obese and a few years from death's door in his Hamptons mansion. A mansion bought and built on lies.

What I found out was that he was a man who loved meat .Not a huge surprise. And fat. And he wanted to justify eating these items! He also wanted to eat as much as he wanted. We are not supposed to gorge ourselves. Just eat enough to be almost full. Full is not good.

There I stood, 47, at the time, a size three and fit as a fiddle.

I will say something. America's obsession with beef, fat, bacon, protein and and butter did make him a rich man.

I'd respectfully like to know why you feel so terribly strongly about this.

Last edited by sheena12; 07-10-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,068,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
First of all, I did not ask for opinions, I asked to hear from folks who have done this before and for tips and recipes. I think you're a nasty person and I don't really give a damn what you think. Obviously, you are the one with some severe issues. You don't own this forum, and I suspect you're not very well liked. Move along.
Actually I've received 7 reps for my posts on this thread - so there you go.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
AnonChick , I am curious about how all of this high protein eating that you advocate is working for you?

I am over 50 years old and at a good weight for my body. I've raised two children on a plant based diet. My husband is the same. Our blood pressures are low, our cholesterol count is good and every once in a while we fast.

It hasn't killed us yet.

I am curious what training you have in nutrition and dietetics. Do you have some? Or a medical background? You are so passionate about protein and post so frequently against vegetarianism, veganism, fasting that I am wondering why you feel this way.

I am sincerely curious as to why you feel so strongly. I wonder if you "doth protest too much." Or you are a rancher or a meat processing plant worker.

If anything, Americans consume too much protein. Our meat loving nation spends money on liposuction, diet foods, diet programs and exercise equipment that many times they never use. But they never consider the obvious.

The Atkins diet never helped Dr. Atkins. But it made him wealthy. I can attest to that.

I met him at a party, and he was fat and very vociferous and almost belligerent about his strange dietary beliefs.

The late doctor was extremely critical, hostile even, about my way of eating.

He was telling me how healthy his "diet" was and how unhealthy mine was.

Here he was, a huge man advocating a diet that essentially throws the body into a state of ketosis, the same thing that happens to untreated diabetics, standing there unhealthy, obese and a few years from death's door in his Hamptons mansion. A mansion bought and built on lies.

What I found out was that he was a man who loved meat .Not a huge surprise. And fat. And he wanted to justify eating these items! He also wanted to eat as much as he wanted. We are not supposed to gorge ourselves. Just eat enough to be almost full. Full is not good.

There I stood, 47, at the time, a size three and fit as a fiddle.

I will say something. America's obsession with beef, fat, bacon, protein and and butter did make him a rich man.

I'd respectfully like to know why you feel so terribly strongly about this.
I'd respectfully like to invite you to respond to the right person. I don't advocate a high-protein diet. I have nothing against vegetarian foods, which is why I keep urging the OP to find the answers she seeks in the vegetarian forum. It's also why I've stated (and you even included in your quote when you responded) that the vegetarian forum can give her all the answers she seeks, which she claimed was just tips and recipes.

I don't advocate the Atkins diet at all. When you put words in my mouth, I have to wonder what -your- agenda is, when you continue to respond to things I never said in a challenging and accusatory tone.

I advocate for a healthy balanced diet, including veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, grain, and some kind of primary protein. If that's a protein shake, then it's a protein shake. If it's a slab of filet mignon, then it's that. If it's a piece of chicken, then that's what it is. If it's whey powder and cereal, then it's whey powder and cereal. I'm not advocating for *high* protein. I'm advocating for *some* protein, beyond what you will find in an *exclusive* diet of fruits and vegetables.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
I'd respectfully like to invite you to respond to the right person. I don't advocate a high-protein diet. I have nothing against vegetarian foods, which is why I keep urging the OP to find the answers she seeks in the vegetarian forum. It's also why I've stated (and you even included in your quote when you responded) that the vegetarian forum can give her all the answers she seeks, which she claimed was just tips and recipes.

I don't advocate the Atkins diet at all. When you put words in my mouth, I have to wonder what -your- agenda is, when you continue to respond to things I never said in a challenging and accusatory tone.

I advocate for a healthy balanced diet, including veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, grain, and some kind of primary protein. If that's a protein shake, then it's a protein shake. If it's a slab of filet mignon, then it's that. If it's a piece of chicken, then that's what it is. If it's whey powder and cereal, then it's whey powder and cereal. I'm not advocating for *high* protein. I'm advocating for *some* protein, beyond what you will find in an *exclusive* diet of fruits and vegetables.
So, how's this working for you? And do you have the creds to back up the cause" Please share.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 2 days ago)

8,820 posts, read 21,301,226 times
Thread closed for mod review.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss