Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,685,151 times

Advertisements

Who cares is people are happy being fat... let them eat cake! It's their life and their choices. Let's all stop pretending we feel this is a tax issue.

NAAFA is fighting an uphill battle though, because they are all about "Fat Acceptance". To someone like me, being fat will never be acceptable, so matter how hard that group kicks and screams about it. The NAAFA is trying to shame fit people into accepting fat people, and shame never works.

Now what is up with the "sex with strangers" portion on this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're conflating outcomes of lifestyle choices with diseases that may or may not be related to lifestyle choices. Being overweight results, in almost all cases, from lifestyle choices. But I'd much ratter see a tax on unhealthy foods that is used to fund health care than I would a charge, by insurance companies, for being overweight. The food tax would deal with the issue directly....

I'm not "attacking" one group unfairly, the thread is about overweight people. There are a number of other lifestyle choices that should raise people's insurance rates, most obvious being smoking. But some lifestyle choices would be nearly impossible for insurance companies to determine so can't be used (i.e., those related to sex life).

Smoking is a good example. We allow insurance companies to charge higher rates for smokers and we have a tax on cigarettes. The same underlying reasoning can be used to justify higher rates for overweight folks and taxes on unhealthy foods.

I'm totally on board with taxing unhealthy foods, or not allowing them with food stamps. I think the medical field would be able to determine poor patient decisions re: sexual health, by the mere fact that they have an STD.

Medical coverage in our state does not charge more for smokers, or any other lifestyle choice or medical conditions.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,871,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
Difference between the gays and the handicapped is that they cant help the way thy are, overweight people can with a heather lifestyle but all what's holding them back is their excuses

Not in all cases... yet we will judge them all equally and perhaps unfairly. I agree most can fix the fat but what you don't see are the emotional scares - the woman that was raped and uses fat to shield from the pain...or the myriad of other reasons,

Having spent much time in the weight loss industry I can assure you it isn't as simple as get your fat A$$ off the couch...

Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,020,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Not in all cases... yet we will judge them all equally and perhaps unfairly. I agree most can fix the fat but what you don't see are the emotional scares - the woman that was raped and uses fat to shield from the pain...or the myriad of other reasons,

Having spent much time in the weight loss industry I can assure you it isn't as simple as get your fat A$$ off the couch...
Try not to bother him with externalities such as the ones you mentioned above. I'm not sure his simple mind can handle it.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

151 posts, read 270,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think the reason for these attacks is the low-class and ignorant manner in which the OP approaches the topic. In case you are not familiar with this poster, he has an ax to grind against overweight people. His approach is simple, "You are overweight because you are stupid, lazy, and full of excuses." Research his post history if you do not believe me.

I think that even many overweight people can acknowledge that they have made mistakes. I personally know a few who have, and have asked my advice on how to get into better shape. My approach with them is that they cannot dwell on what got them to their current condition, (notwithstanding the need to avoid the same pitfalls in the future). Rather I advise that by accepting themselves and valuing themselves they develop a sense of self-worth. Many overweight people lack this, and thus believe themselves to be "not worth saving." This is not true. By developing their sense of self-worth, they realize that they are worth the effort to exercise, eat better, etc...

For many, weight loss is a complete lifestyle change. It usually involves a mental change first and foremost. The OP doesn't have to openly embrace overweight people. But if he were truly interested in helping solve the problem, he would keep his ignorant and judgmental opinions to himself.
When you have a good mate of yours die from obesity and the main cause what caused him to not turn his life around is people who told him that he is fine as he is and that its not his fault he is fat then you can judge my hard approach. Its called tough love and we need to start telling fat people that their weight is disgusting (just like how we tell our smoker mates how their habit is disgusting) Taking the soft approach is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

What's your solution to helping an overweight person turn their life around when that overweight person believes that they cant because of people who told them that their weight is not their fault then?

The soft approach did not work for my mate and he is now dead, how many more people must die until we stop pushing this issue under the rug by telling fat people that they are fine as they are and that people should just accept their size?

To all the posters in this thread, can you just answer this one simple question;

Just imagine for a second what you would feel like if you lived in a world where it was common for smokers to say that its not their fault they smoke and just because they smoke it does not mean that its unhealthy and parents allowed their kids to smoke while telling their kids that they are fine as they are and smokers held conferences to convince other smokers that their lifestyle is fine -now imagine that your friend, brother sister is a smoker in this world and they are on their death bed, how would you feel?

Last edited by xzane; 07-16-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:

The soft approach did not work for my mate and he is now dead, how many more people must die until we stop pushing this issue under the rug by telling fat people that they are fine as they are and that people should just accept their size?
Spare me the mellow drama please. Essentially my husband of 18 years died of being over weight. No one was telling him it was okay. But he made the choices that made him happy. Would he have made the same if he known he would die at 43? Probably not. But there are a lot of people who I know who are more over weight and die much older.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Spare me the mellow drama please. Essentially my husband of 18 years died of being over weight. No one was telling him it was okay. But he made the choices that made him happy. Would he have made the same if he known he would die at 43? Probably not. But there are a lot of people who I know who are more over weight and die much older.
Children are becoming overweight at an alarming rate and people are telling them that they are fine as they are, how do you feel about this? you totally fine for allowing children to die because some overweight people just want to live in denial?

Oh and my mate was 19 he was only a teenager when he died. My mate did not live a long enough life to get married like your husband did.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
Quote:
Children are becoming overweight at an alarming rate and people are telling them that they are fine as they are, how do you feel about this? you totally fine for allowing children to die because some overweight people just want to live in denial?

Oh and my mate was 19 he was only a teenager when he died. My mate did not live a long enough life to get married like your husband did.
Children are becoming overweight at an alarming rate because parents are feeding them at an alarming rate, and not teaching them self-control, and personal accountability. Children are dying because adults are killing them, while pretending they're just treating them like "special snowflakes."

Your mate knew how to put the twinkie back down on the plate. Your mate chose not to do that. Your mate had the choice of listening to conventional wisdom that obesity = unhealthy, OR listening to a few political acceptance evangelists proclaiming obesity = beautiful. Your mate chose to believe the crackpots, because it was convenient to do so. Or, you're just making all of this up to spin your drama.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,831,741 times
Overweight children are more often than not the product of overweight parents. They really have no shot at eating healthy because they are learning food habits from their parents. Personally I think it is child abuse.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Children are becoming overweight at an alarming rate because parents are feeding them at an alarming rate, and not teaching them self-control, and personal accountability. Children are dying because adults are killing them, while pretending they're just treating them like "special snowflakes."

Your mate knew how to put the twinkie back down on the plate. Your mate chose not to do that. Your mate had the choice of listening to conventional wisdom that obesity = unhealthy, OR listening to a few political acceptance evangelists proclaiming obesity = beautiful. Your mate chose to believe the crackpots, because it was convenient to do so. Or, you're just making all of this up to spin your drama.
What I am saying is that if it was not socially acceptable to allow fat people to spread their excuses then maybe my mate would have believed that he could lose the weight, this is why I am against organisations like NAAFA. If there was a organisation called "NAASA" National Association to Advance Smoker Acceptance everyone will know how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Overweight children are more often than not the product of overweight parents. They really have no shot at eating healthy because they are learning food habits from their parents. Personally I think it is child abuse.
True my mates parents were overweight and they were no help guess now they have outlived their child because of their poor parenting skills. Parents who allow their child to get obese should be thrown in jail for child neglect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss