Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This distinction is odd, why would you include beans and lentils which are very high in starch and not rice which also contains protein?

And yes, I get that you cut down your starch, but you should be doing the opposite. And contrary to your suggestion, you haven't tried a low-fat high starch diet. Your example was a high fat moderate starch diet. Big difference. Now you're on a very high fat/high protein and low starch diet......not only will this diet promote poor health but it won't result in long-term weight loss. But you'll find that out.....

Perhaps in terms of mass, but not in terms of caloric source. If your meal was, calorie wise, 50% veggies your plate would have to be gigantic! For example, assuming a 800 calorie meal (so 400 in vegetables), you'd have to consume 12 green peppers, 10 cups of green beans, etc. HUGE plate!

What you're doing is looking at the mass, but this hides all the important details. For example, is 2 cups of green beans with one tablespoon of butter is a very high fat meal! Yet, this is how most people think of eating "healthy". Another high fat food that people thin is "healthy" are salads, yet they are usually higher fat than a cheese burger.

But, as can be seen in your previous post, you haven't been here....... But hey, its your health....

You are a big advocate of the Dean Ornish type of diet, which is effective but restrictive. Most people do not want to stick to that sort of diet, and find it difficult over the long term.

For someone like me, it isn't beneficial at all. I am anemic, and there is no way I'd get enough digestible iron with your plan. Additionally, there is quite a lot of evidence, that for people who are hypothyroid (like myself) cutting down on carbs is helpful for managing your weight and losing.

Although, you are assuming my eating plan is "very high in fat." You'd be mistaken, I only use small amounts of fat in cooking, in my homemade salad dressings, etc. Most of the time I eat my veggies with salt/pepper/acid/herbs. Maybe a tsp of oil, added after cooking for flavor. So my 2 cups of green beans? It has some vinegar and salt and pepper. My big plate of salad? More of the same with a little bit of oil to help absorb the vitamin k.

And thirdly, there are plenty of healthful diets with higher amounts of fat. The so-called Mediterranean diet is typically around 30-35% fat! The fats come mostly from olives and nuts and other monounsaturated places. Since fat helps with satiety, it is an easier long term plan for people. When I eat the way you advocate, I feel great for about an hour. Then I am ravenous. So I found, it isn't a good plan for me. I need more fats and proteins to feel full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,114,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are a big advocate of the Dean Ornish type of diet, which is effective but restrictive. Most people do not want to stick to that sort of diet, and find it difficult over the long term.
I am? I haven't mentioned Dean Ornish once.... Dean Ornish's dietary program is focused around heart disease patients, and the diet has been proven to be effective for that goal, namely reversing heart disease.

As a general dietary program for the general public? No...I wouldn't advocate Dean Ornish's dietary program. Not that its bad for you, but its overall kill for most people.

Quote:
For someone like me, it isn't beneficial at all. I am anemic, and there is no way I'd get enough digestible iron with your plan.
This just isn't true, you can get plenty of digestible iron from plant foods. There are many plant foods that have higher amounts of iron, per calorie, then meat....even beef.

But, I never claimed that you need to consume zero animal products. For most, a diet of up to 10% (in terms of calories, not food mass!) of animal products seems to be okay so long as they are low fat. So, for example someone consuming a 2000 calorie diet can eat up to 2/3 a chicken breast a day.

Quote:
You'd be mistaken, I only use small amounts of fat in cooking, in my homemade salad dressings, etc. Most of the time I eat my veggies with salt/pepper/acid/herbs. Maybe a tsp of oil, added after cooking for flavor. So my 2 cups of green beans?
Not mistaken at all, either your diet is high in carbohydrates or fat. There is no way to escape that. Vegetables have very few calories, so even adding a small about of fat to them turns them into a high fat food.

The typical large salad, without dressing, only has around 60 calories. Add 2 teaspoons of oil and you have a high fat, 50% fat, food! Most people use far more than that though....and the salad is transformed into a 80~90% fat food. Like I said, higher fat than a cheeseburger!

Quote:
And thirdly, there are plenty of healthful diets with higher amounts of fat. The so-called Mediterranean diet is typically around 30-35% fat! The fats come mostly from olives and nuts and other monounsaturated places.
No there aren't, though the Mediterranean is a big improvement over the standard American diet, it still promotes numerous diseases. Just at lower rates... So, its a healthier diet if your baseline diet is the standard American diet, but it performs noticeably worse in terms of disease than a low-fat diet.

Also, just to note, the Mediterranean diet is high in starch and low in meat. That is the the primarily benefit, not the oils consumed! Just sounds you how the powerful health benefits of a starch based diet.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
user_id, have you ever been fat?
Yep, I've been overweight. My peak weight was around 220, I'm around 160 today.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I am? I haven't mentioned Dean Ornish once.... Dean Ornish's dietary program is focused around heart disease patients, and the diet has been proven to be effective for that goal, namely reversing heart disease.
Your plan is suspiciously similar to Dean Ornish's recommendations.
Ornish: lots of plant food, 10-15% fat, 10-15% protein, limited animal products
You: lots of plants, 10-20% fat, limited animal products

Hmmmm......

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
I'm 48 and have my weight has yo-yo'd since I was 20. I have absolutely no problem losing weight once I set my mind to it. However, I ALWAYS gain it back. Sometimes over the course of a year or two, sometimes just months. I am at the point now where I don't even bother trying to lose it, because I know it will only be temporary. In looking around me, I can't point out a single person I know who has lost weight and kept it off for more than a short period of time. Can it be done????? HOW?
How? You don't ever STOP doing what you did to lose the original weight. And you shake up the workouts and never, ever go OFF of the lifestyle diet you used to lose the weight. You can never go back to the old habits. Period.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Your plan is suspiciously similar to Dean Ornish's recommendations.
Ornish: lots of plant food, 10-15% fat, 10-15% protein, limited animal products
You: lots of plants, 10-20% fat, limited animal products
Suspiciously similar? There are many doctors, scientists, authors, etc that advocate for low-fat diets. But, as I said before, Dean Ornish is more so focused on reversing heart disease....that is what he does with his program. That is why the diet is extremely low fat....that is what it takes to reverse heart disease with diet.

But is what I'm saying similar? A bit....but so what? Dean Ornish's dietary program has been shown to promote health and reverse heart disease.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Pretty much. If I were to quantify it, I'd estimate 90% of weight control is calorie control. Work out for 45 minutes or eat one less cookie?
This is exactly correct! People need to understand this. It's all about what we injest! Alcohol is a huge problem and the calories it contains. Ask folks to give that up...I have cut mine out considerably and can tell a huge difference.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, I'll quit routine exercise after 4 months. Will only get exercise from biking for transportation. I'm really a BURNOUT from exercise but I need exercise because my B.P. is slowly creeping up, last got 142 / 91. I keep from gaining weight by watching what I eat. Nov 2010 I was 158, last month I was 161 lbs. Not much weight gain and I had an 11 week vacation to splurge on good Philippine food.

Last week has somehow been a metabolic disaster as I went from 162 to 164.4 lbs. I blame a little snacking after 7:30 pm.
No snacking after dinner and no carbs after 4pm. That has worked for me all of my life. It's a simple thing we can do.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

No carbs after 4 pm, otherwise you will turn into a Gremlin.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nope. Just common sense and the willingness to move ones body. Works for pretty much everyone. You just have to WANT to do it.
Right. A body at rest will stay at rest. If folks would just keep it up until they got truly used to it, it would not feel like "work" or "effort."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss