Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No carbs after 4 pm, otherwise you will turn into a Gremlin.
This is one thing we agree with.

A lot of people seem to forget, that is it isn't meat or oil, it is probably "carbs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is one thing we agree with.

A lot of people seem to forget, that is it isn't meat or oil, it is probably "carbs."
I was just joking......carbohydrates, at any hour, aren't a problem.

Eating more carbohydrates, in particular whole starchy foods, will promote weight loss....

Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
I was just joking......
You were being *sarcastic*

Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
No snacking after dinner and no carbs after 4pm. That has worked for me all of my life. It's a simple thing we can do.
Ah the luxury of being able to eat when you want to. Unfortunately, my schedule does not permit me to eat dinner before 10 pm - not so "simple" for everyone, you see?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Suspiciously similar? There are many doctors, scientists, authors, etc that advocate for low-fat diets. But, as I said before, Dean Ornish is more so focused on reversing heart disease....that is what he does with his program. That is why the diet is extremely low fat....that is what it takes to reverse heart disease with diet.

But is what I'm saying similar? A bit....but so what? Dean Ornish's dietary program has been shown to promote health and reverse heart disease.
I find it interesting that there is so much focus on fat as it pertains to heart disease. Prior to the 20th century people ate considerably more fat in their diet than they do now, and heart disease rates were very low.

According to the studies discussed in this article, No evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease (it’s official) | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health science would tend to disagree.

Heart disease, however, has paralleled the consumption of vegetable oil consumption in this country which began in the late 1940s and continues today. Hydrogenated or trans fats are the problem, not natural saturated fats.

While we are on the subject, nobody ever seems to mention the fact that pharmaceuticals play an ENORMOUS part of heart disease. Most people are on *some* kind of prescription medication which is, for all intents and purposes, poison. When this is distributed via the circulatory system it is in constant contact with the heart. Pharmaceuticals can cause extensive organ failure (chiefly the liver), but it also impacts all the organs and most certainly the heart. I believe that this is the singular biggest reason that we have such high levels of heart disease in this country.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
"Most people are on *some* kind of prescription medication which is, for all intents and purposes, poison."

Taking medication for some means living instead of dying or living a healthy life as opposed to a sick one. Can you please provide peer reviewed studies that prescription medication is in fact poison?
I will say that a lot of people are unnecessarily taking prescription meds, and I am sure they are causing more harm than good. But that is a minority.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
"Most people are on *some* kind of prescription medication which is, for all intents and purposes, poison."

Taking medication for some means living instead of dying or living a healthy life as opposed to a sick one. Can you please provide peer reviewed studies that prescription medication is in fact poison?
I will say that a lot of people are unnecessarily taking prescription meds, and I am sure they are causing more harm than good. But that is a minority.
Not necessarily peer reviewed (it's a cliche these days)...

But even studies that are performed by people who aren't either paid by the companies who are marketing the "fad of the day," or performed by people with a grudge against pharmaceuticals.

In other words, let's not waste bandwidth on studies by "the Institute that, if you google them, you'll discover are really just a subsidiary of the Eat Right For Your Nose-Hairs Diet Symposium." Or the "Mercola sells lots of diet pills, which all are dependent on scaring people into thinking that their hypertension prescription is bogus" people. Or the "Big Pharma Sucks, Why Supplements Are Good For You" crew.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

But even studies that are performed by people who aren't either paid by the companies who are marketing the "fad of the day," or performed by people with a grudge against pharmaceuticals.

In other words, let's not waste bandwidth on studies by "the Institute that, if you google them, you'll discover are really just a subsidiary of the Eat Right For Your Nose-Hairs Diet Symposium." Or the "Mercola sells lots of diet pills, which all are dependent on scaring people into thinking that their hypertension prescription is bogus" people. Or the "Big Pharma Sucks, Why Supplements Are Good For You" crew.
Yes of course. And lets not forget that the USDA food guidelines are a scam. A giant conspiracy to get us to eat all the wrong stuff.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Is WebMD mainstream enough for you?

Here is one of the side effects of statin drugs.....Sounds pretty poisonous to me...

"Rhabdomyolysis, extreme muscle inflammation and damage. With this condition, muscles all over the body become painful and weak. The severely damaged muscles release proteins into the blood that collect in the kidneys. The kidneys can become damaged trying to eliminate a large amount of muscle breakdown caused by statin use. This can ultimately lead to kidney failure or even death. Fortunately, rhabdomyolysis is extremely rare. It occurs in less than one in 10,000 people taking statins."

of course, we all remember VIOXX, I don't think I need to post any links for that one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Is WebMD mainstream enough for you?

Here is one of the side effects of statin drugs.....Sounds pretty poisonous to me...

"Rhabdomyolysis, extreme muscle inflammation and damage. With this condition, muscles all over the body become painful and weak. The severely damaged muscles release proteins into the blood that collect in the kidneys. The kidneys can become damaged trying to eliminate a large amount of muscle breakdown caused by statin use. This can ultimately lead to kidney failure or even death. Fortunately, rhabdomyolysis is extremely rare. It occurs in less than one in 10,000 people taking statins."

of course, we all remember VIOXX, I don't think I need to post any links for that one.

20yrsinBranson
Some drugs do more harm than good. But there is no need to say all prescription drugs are poisonous. There really is not another option for me with my thyroid. My husband must take his Lipitor even though he is in good shape and works out almost everyday and eats very healthy. My Dad would be dead without his heart meds, and at the age of 86 he is still going strong, swimming and walking everyday and traveling as well. I do not think he has been poisoned. Oh and all the people that are HIV positive and NOT contracting AIDS because of their meds. So you can throw out a few side effects on a few drugs to make your case, but it is indeed a very weak case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss