Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You have to have a plan in place for maintenance that is reasonable and healthy otherwise you will yo-yo.

It can be done.
One out of ten people prove it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
4 out 5 dentists agree.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oddly, this is practically irrelevant and here's why.

Thin people aren't thin because they exercise. Fat people aren't fat because they don't.

A person is overweight because he eats more than he should. If he had the will power to eat less he wouldn't be overweight. Say he needs 500 calories of willpower a day to lose a pound a week. Say he eats 2500 cal/day.

OK. Now, let's add exercise to a person's life. The thing is when you exercise you become hungrier. Lets say he burns 500 calories exercising but it also makes him 500 (I probably get 600 calories hungrier - it's easier to lose weight when I don't work out...) calories hungrier (if you disagree with this, quit reading the rest of the post). That means he still need 500 calories of will power to lose weight.

That's why that overweight person at the gym that you've seen there for the past three years hasn't lost one pound.

That's why the lady you see running didn't gain any weight when she quit running.

Uh Okay. You wanted to know why you gain the weight back, so obviously you cannot maintain calorie restriction. A viable solution is exercise because you can actually eat more and maintain your weight.
I find it simply amazing the excuses people come up with NOT to exercise.
I see lots of people at the gym and the ones that are successful are the ones that are trying. The ones that don't lose any weight are rarely the ones working up a sweat. Also they are consuming more calories than they are burning. Exercise is vital to maintaining a healthy weight and for overall health.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Uh Okay. You wanted to know why you gain the weight back, so obviously you cannot maintain calorie restriction. A viable solution is exercise because you can actually eat more and maintain your weight.
I find it simply amazing the excuses people come up with NOT to exercise.
I see lots of people at the gym and the ones that are successful are the ones that are trying. The ones that don't lose any weight are rarely the ones working up a sweat. Also they are consuming more calories than they are burning. Exercise is vital to maintaining a healthy weight and for overall health.
People who exercise aren't significantly less overweight than people who don't.

The Exercise Myth - The Daily Beast

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME

"“In general, exercise by itself is pretty useless for weight loss,†says Eric Ravussin, a professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., and an expert on weight loss. It’s especially useless because people often end up consuming more calories when they exercise. "

from

Weighing the Evidence on Exercise

Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Yup, it's easy to lose fat with zero exercise. Been there, done that.
Changing what you put into your body is what will determine weight loss.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yup, it's easy to lose fat with zero exercise. Been there, done that.
Changing what you put into your body is what will determine weight loss.

Pretty much. If I were to quantify it, I'd estimate 90% of weight control is calorie control. Work out for 45 minutes or eat one less cookie?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
People who exercise aren't significantly less overweight than people who don't.

The Exercise Myth - The Daily Beast

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME

"“In general, exercise by itself is pretty useless for weight loss,†says Eric Ravussin, a professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., and an expert on weight loss. It’s especially useless because people often end up consuming more calories when they exercise. "

from

Weighing the Evidence on Exercise
Yes, if you eat more than you burn than you will not lose weight. If you eat less than you burn whether you exercise or not you will lose weight. Exercise WILL expedite weight loss as long as you keep the burn level less than the intake level. Its called thermodynamics. To say that it does not help at all is just ridiculous. You do not need to exercise to lose weight, but it will help. Not to mention do wonders for your overall health.
And more specifically you were complaining about not being able to keep the weight off, not lose it per se. Exercise is an excellent way to maintain ones weight once they have reached their goal weight.
It is obvious you do not like to exercise so you are finding whatever ammo you can to back up your preference. I do not care if you like to exercise or not. I was just offering a suggestion. But after reading your multiple posts here and on another thread is has become clear you want to try some new invasive weight loss gimmick and I guess you want validation.. Whatever floats yer boat.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Well, I lost weight from 205 lbs to 140 lbs in 2 years. Then I maintained my weight at 145 lbs by watching what I ate and frequent 1 hr workouts after work, - for 4 years. Then in 2009 I just got burned out by road biking to control my weight and just stopped exercising. Tried to control my weight by just only watching what I ate but eating mistakes, vacation splurges, special occasion buffets - from 2009 to 2012 I went up to my current 164.4 lbs. Now I'd like to lose weight again to get back to 150 lbs. Will make it scientific with diet, weightlifting, and road biking workouts. If I successfully lose weight doing this plan I will write about it in a "Biking for Weight Loss and Transportation" book. Problem is I have low motivation to workout a lot. So maybe I'll give it 4 months of effort and then quit. 4 months should be enough to lose 20 lbs.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM

You don't have to be nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
if you eat more than you burn than you will not lose weight.

Not necessarily. Calories in = Calories Stored + Calories Burned + Calories wasted (It's called thermodynamics)

Two people can eat the same and exercise the same and one can lose weight the the other can gain weight. The difference lies in how much they waste.

To say that it does not help at all is just ridiculous.

To say that I said that is ridiculous.

And more specifically you were complaining about not being able to keep the weight off, not lose it per se.

Actually, I never complained about it.

It is obvious you do not like to exercise so you are finding whatever ammo you can to back up your preference.

Really? Let's see. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at lunch is a 2000 meter swim. Tuesdays and Thursdays is one hour of full court basketball non stop at lunch. Been doing this for about 45 years. Weekends I push lawnmowers around and work around the house.

I do not care if you like to exercise or not. I was just offering a suggestion. But after reading your multiple posts here and on another thread is has become clear you want to try some new invasive weight loss gimmick and I guess you want validation.

Wrong again. WLS surgery isn't for me but it is for a lot of people. Statistics completely support the success of WLS over conventional means.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Default It's not LOSING it, it's keeping it off . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, I lost weight from 205 lbs to 140 lbs in 2 years. Then I maintained my weight at 145 lbs by watching what I ate and frequent 1 hr workouts after work, - for 4 years. Then in 2009 I just got burned out by road biking to control my weight and just stopped exercising. Tried to control my weight by just only watching what I ate but eating mistakes, vacation splurges, special occasion buffets - from 2009 to 2012 I went up to my current 164.4 lbs. Now I'd like to lose weight again to get back to 150 lbs. Will make it scientific with diet, weightlifting, and road biking workouts. If I successfully lose weight doing this plan I will write about it in a "Biking for Weight Loss and Transportation" book. Problem is I have low motivation to workout a lot. So maybe I'll give it 4 months of effort and then quit. 4 months should be enough to lose 20 lbs.

Four months of effort and then quit? Quit what? Exercise? Are you going to decrease your caloric intake to compensate? How are you going to keep the weight off for good?

Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds like the wrong mentality for lasting weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss