Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You normally make very intelligent posts, so this one surprised me.

A healthy, nutritious diet and a starvation diet are not the same thing. What are you eating?

I am never hungry - physical hunger, that is. Emotional hunger is something different. And I have learned to tell the difference. Which is what "modifying behavior" means for me. For you, it may be something else.

Are you really fat and happy, or did you give up on yourself?
I am eating what I understand to be a healthy diet. I have done a lot of research on this and apparently, to lose weight in a safe manner I should be eating approximately 1200 calories per day. I even start off "slower" and eat 1500 calories per day. And I am constantly hungry. Even when I split these calories into 5 or 6 small meals a day. HUNGRY. OK? Is that clear enough for you? STARVING. For a snack it says... "20 peanuts". 20 peanuts? that's supposed to DO SOMETHING? I am STARVING.

a chicken breast and a 1/2 cup of vegetable and 1/2 cup of fruit? This is dinner? are you freaking kidding me?

I am told that "in time" your body adjusts to eating less. That's swell, but what do you in the mean time? I am tired of being hateful, I am tired of feeling bad while I am waiting for that to happen.

Fortunately, (or not) for me, I don't eat when I am upset, angry, disappointed, lonely, sad...no, I eat when I am hungry. IN fact, I don't even think about food unless I am hungry.

How on earth you are supposed to live on 1500 calories is beyond me. I have not given up on myself, but it is not worth it to me to have to deal with all the negative emotions and experiences that come along with trying to force my body to survive on that low a calorie count.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

20yrsinBranson

Would you consider the VSG?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Would you consider the VSG?
what is "the VSG"???

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
what is "the VSG"???

20yrsinBranson
If you have been fighting the battle most of your life and you are still not the weight you need to be at, the VSG is your miracle.

VSG=Verical Sleeve Gastrectomy=Gastric Sleeve - YouTube

4 years after the Gastric Sleeve (VSG) - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
I just read a very interesting book called the smarter science of slim. It is very well researched and brings up some interesting points. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I just read a very interesting book called the smarter science of slim. It is very well researched and brings up some interesting points. I highly recommend it.
How much weight have you lost because of what you learned from this book and how long have you kept it off?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,103,598 times
Quote:
You will have to define "eat right", because in my opinion I eat right (for me) and my body most definitely does NOT maintain a healthy weight.
Why would you believe that your diet is "right" when its making you overweight?

As for defining "eat right", generally speaking: low-fat (10%~20% fat), whole plant foods (in particular starchy plants), little to no animal products (< 10%). At least as far as weight loss goes, some people may be able to get away with more fat,etc...where as others will require less to achieve a normal weight.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,103,598 times
Quote:
If you have been fighting the battle most of your life and you are still not the weight you need to be at, the VSG is your miracle.
Why do you continue to misrepresent the results of these surgeries? They aren't miracles and the average obese person that gets this surgery will still be overweight many years after the surgery. More people stay obese than become slim........

Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
How much weight have you lost because of what you learned from this book and how long have you kept it off?
I read the book like 2 weeks ago.

So far I have incorporated a few ideas: more protein. Less starches. Haven't tried other recommendations, but I will get around to it eventually.

The basic premise is that weight gain can be very hormonal, so the goal is to use your diet, and targeted exercise to fix the hormone problem and reset your set point. The book compiles a ton of research on weight loss and metabolism.

I need to digest the concepts and see how they might work for me. I am in the middle of losing weight. Things have slowed a bit for me, but I haven't backtracked either. I am plotting my next move, and how I will continue to reach my goal.

What is working for me so far:
  • exercising intensely about 4 days a week (for around 45-60)
  • counting calories (I would like to emphasis this point)
  • upping my protein intake***
  • reducing my starch intake to 2-3 servings a day

***I won't say anything about "cleaning up my diet," since I have been eating a pretty good diet for about 10 years, with zero impact on my weight. I cut out soda buy the time I hit puberty. I reduced my juice consumption in college. I replaced most of my grains with whole ones 10 years ago. I reduced my processed food intake significantly around 6 years ago. I cut most added sugars at that same time.
Didn't lost a pound, but I always have excellent blood work and test results. I do have other issues that compound things (I am hypothyroid) and of course this can impact my weight. I am still in the finding the right treatment phase.

I am not an emotional eater, and rarely eat large portions and I am not a binger. My weight problem is definitely something besides food quantity. I was never really a "big eater." I have a metabolism issue.

I recommend eating cleaner for most people, but honestly it may or may not help you in the weight department. It will help you in the health department.

I do have "cheat" meals for about 2 per week. This basically means, I eat something a little less nutritious (like a scone for breakfast) or have a larger meal than typical for me (like dinner out or dessert). These clock in at about 100-300 calories more than usual for that meal. So basically a blip on the radar.

Typical day for me:
Breakfast: greek yogurt + fruit + low sugar granola
Snack: nuts, cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers. Or a latte. Or fruit.
Lunch: protein + 2-3 servings of veggies + a starch (optional) or beans
Dinner: protein + 3-4 servings of veggies
Dessert: fruit + greek yogurt + nuts if I am feeling super hungry

At the moment I am around halfway to my goal, and still working at it.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why would you believe that your diet is "right" when its making you overweight?

As for defining "eat right", generally speaking: low-fat (10%~20% fat), whole plant foods (in particular starchy plants), little to no animal products (< 10%). At least as far as weight loss goes, some people may be able to get away with more fat,etc...where as others will require less to achieve a normal weight.

Your diet makes me hungry and cranky. Not enough fat = one extremely hungry woman. I need to eat at least 20% in order to stay satiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss