Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,385,532 times

Advertisements

I hate going on a bike or a treadmill in a gym, but I like to lift weights and swim. so, does gaining muscle and using swimming help with fat loss, along with eating right?

I just want to know because I did p90x 4 years ago, lost 50, and now i gained it all back plus 5 pounds. I wished they had a weight retaining video or something that is done 3x per week. I dont want to do p90x again because I dont want to follow a video again, I can predict what tony horton says every second, so its just too boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,031,828 times
In my opinion (and from my personal experience) there is nothing superior to swimming laps in a pool for burning calories. 15 years ago I lost a large amount of weight in a short time and swimming was a big component in my ability to burn calories fast. It was also very good for my heart. Wish I was in that condition now!

Of course lifting weights and building muscle will also help you to burn more calories. I can walk, but I don't like running at all - messes with my joints.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM

221 posts, read 484,969 times
Anything will allow you to lose weight. Consistency is key and change will always take time. Just realize that there's only so much the body will lose fat before leeching off into your muscles and if not eating properly, all the hard work may have caused your body to go in a seriously depleted state in terms of nutrition.

Just try to lead a healthier eating habits including active lifestyle. All that fat will eventually melt away and basically conform to your lifestyle. That's how our body works

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM

155 posts, read 253,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

I just want to know because I did p90x 4 years ago, lost 50, and now i gained it all back plus 5 pounds. I wished they had a weight retaining video or something that is done 3x per week. I dont want to do p90x again because I dont want to follow a video again, I can predict what tony horton says every second, so its just too boring.
Why dont you do the P90x again and fix whatever it was that you did that made you gain all that weight plus 5 pounds back. You already utilized a program that was proven to work for you, just do it again and fix whatever negative thing you did (or didnt do) that made you gain 55 pounds after having such great success.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
Quote:
I hate going on a bike or a treadmill in a gym, but I like to lift weights and swim. so, does gaining muscle and using swimming help with fat loss, along with eating right?

Why did you put the weight back on? What makes you think if you lose it again, you won't put it back on again?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,427,585 times
Swimming is outstanding. If you like it, just get in the habit of doing it as often as you can tolerate. Only down side to swimming is it makes you HUNGRY.. make sure you plan out that end of the equation before you start. Drink a lot of water when you get out of the pool and have some healthy snacks ready. And that's healthy as in actually healthy, not some processed garbage that has the word healthy on the label... I just had some plain peas (no butter, not salt, just heat from the microwave). That's a nice healthy snack and also one of my favorite tasting foods.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,811,248 times
Quote:

I did the p90x program. Twice in a row. Ya, i probably lost a little fat and gained a little muscle. Great program for getting fit. But if your goal is to lose weight, change your diet. AKA ditch the carbs. Do whatever exercise you want, it doesn't matter. Find something fun to do once a week. But change that diet!!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,975,290 times
My son did p90X and lost over 50 pounds. When he finished, I asked him if there was a follow-up to the p90X and he said that he was just going to start it over. I don't think that's the best way to maintain. There should be a continuation that helps to keep you in the shape that you achieved through the original program. I'm not sure if I changed his mind or not, but he is now working out at a gym.

I went on a diet last year and lost 12 pounds. I ended up sick (not from the diet) and unable to do my daily walk. The medication I was put on caused incredible hunger which caused weight gain. I didn't put the whole 12 back, and I'm not discouraged. I'm back to the eating plan and walking daily. I wish I had the stamina to do the p90X. The whole point is that taking off the weight is only the beginning. Maintenance is key. Doesn't have to be a gym. Doesn't even have to cost a lot of money. The important thing is consistency.

COngratulations on your previous victory and good luck on doing it again.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Get your diet in order. Swimming and weights are both great exercises. If you enjoy them keep them up, you really cant do much better than that. You can incorporate some HIIT training, running, cycling anything really if you want to switch things up. But diet is key. Find an eating plan that you can live with for the long term and go from there.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Here's a wild idea. I suggest eating like our bodies were evolved to do and that would be eating vegan. We have long digestive tracks and flat teeth for a reason! If you eat vegan without doing any exercise you will most likely naturally lose all of the weight and keep it off. Combine that with a decent exercise routine and you're solid. Or if you're like most Americans you can just keep eating meat and dairy and endlessly complain about being fat.
This is a big misconception that going vegan is some sort of magic weight loss solution. You can have a bad vegan diet just as easily as you can have a bad omnivore diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss