Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

Well, you all have given me an idea.....

Carry Stevia packets with me. But let me say, while it's not the highest level of inconvenience or something being a PITA, I am going to whine about having to carry it while I'm out to have it on hand. I already try to have water with me most times and/or healthy snacks like a piece of fruit or hard boiled egg. Now I have to carry frigging STEVIA too?!

I know I know I'm just being a baby about it....I guess it just comes down to we as individuals are the ones who have to take care of our own health. And if that means carrying your own food around with you so be it.....

I guess many people carry all their own stuff snacks, drinks with them when they do errands or whenever they go out. People who have allergies do it all the time. A friends carries her own salad dressing. (The first time I saw her pill it out of her purse, I was like" Are you serious?") I've never had to do it...so the "adjustment" will take getting used to.

Or I'll just continue to choose from what's available...water, unsweented tea, or diet with whatever sweetener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
I eat/drink about a half-pound of Splenda a week. If I die, I die.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Meh - if I have to die as a result of poisoning from sweet substances, I'd much rather die of poisoning from sugar, honey, and maple syrup.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM

326 posts, read 703,987 times
If you want to try something completely different - try Miraculin! It turns anything sour into sweet - for example, lemon juice into water taste like perfectly sweetened lemonade. You can get this stuff on Amazon.com. Its a protein that comes from the miracle berry plant that binds the sour receptor modifying how it works.. This stuff is crazy!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 935 times
Unhappy rats getting tumors in high doses

Hi i am new here and testing this out. I want to hear from a scientist or health expert about the consumption of large quantities of artificial sweetener. Is it a fact or myth that large quantities in rats produced tumors?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
If you want to try something completely different - try Miraculin! It turns anything sour into sweet - for example, lemon juice into water taste like perfectly sweetened lemonade. You can get this stuff on Amazon.com. Its a protein that comes from the miracle berry plant that binds the sour receptor modifying how it works.. This stuff is crazy!
is sound great

Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
HiI want to hear from a scientist or health expert about the consumption of large quantities of artificial sweetener. Is it a fact or myth that large quantities in rats produced tumors?
On the internet there are several links to a study releaeed in 2005 about aspartme being linked to tumors in rats.
Here's just one: "Aspartame Causes Cancer in Rats at Levels Currently Approved for Humans"
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/34040.php

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Thanks for the info about Miraculin. I had never heard of it before. Will be something to try.

The history of Miraculin is interesting. It was almost approved by the FDA in the 1970's but at the last minute it's status was changed and the company about to bring it to market folded. Then when the FDA documents pertaining to the testing and change in status were requested under the FOIA, the documents were almost totally blacked out and the reasons for the change in status were not revealed. Hmmmm....sounds very fishy to me.

Miraculin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
In general what to you use or prefer...sugar or artificial sweetener? And what are your quick thoughts -- for diet or general safety/health -- on the issue?
I don't regularly consume either, but I prefer to use actual sugar....

As for as safety/health, there isn't strong evidence that artificial sweeteners cause cancer, etc....but there is strong evidence that they do, despite being no-calorie, have effects on your health. For example, your brain correlates "sweetness" with caloric content. What happens when "sweet" messages from the mouth are routinely given to the brain.....yet the gut tells the brain "there ain't anything here!". The brain increases your hunger.......you'll be driven to eat more food.

Isn't it interesting that artificial sweeteners have done absolutely nothing to reduce obesity in the US?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM

326 posts, read 703,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Thanks for the info about Miraculin. I had never heard of it before. Will be something to try.

The history of Miraculin is interesting. It was almost approved by the FDA in the 1970's but at the last minute it's status was changed and the company about to bring it to market folded. Then when the FDA documents pertaining to the testing and change in status were requested under the FOIA, the documents were almost totally blacked out and the reasons for the change in status were not revealed. Hmmmm....sounds very fishy to me.

Miraculin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conspiracy theories are always fun This stuff is absolutely amazing though - I tried an experiment where I was trying to use it to prevent the pain of eating a habenero pepper -- didn't work - but it was fun trying with this stuff! (Scientific AmeriKen - Battling a Monster: Strategies to consume hot peppers) Everyone should try this stuff at least once in their lives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss