Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,637 times

Advertisements

I have always said there were two things likely to be my demise. Bug spray and sweet & low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 PM

48 posts, read 95,070 times
I try to avoid eating anything that is completely created in a lab. My favorite sweeteners are cane sugar and honey but I'd be willing to try Stevia. In moderation, sugar is not that bad... it's the fact that we consume too much that makes it an issue.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I vote for real, raw sugar -as well as stevia, and locally harvested honey. These are natural and won't hurt you if used in moderation, like anything should be.

I use locally grown honey in my smoothies and it's delicious.

Don't put synthetic foods into your system!
I basically use stevia in the teas that I like sweetened at home. Sugar or honey or agave for most "normal" applications: cooking, salad dressings.

I do use a couple of "artificial" sweetener packets a year (around 5 or so) if I get iced tea and the place doesn't have self-serve sugar syrup and the tea is over brewed or super tart. It takes around 1/4-1/2 of a packet for me to sweeten tea enough, and this adds up to 1-2 times a month max.

I find the artificial ones have too much after taste. I do chew sugar free gum. I do not eat sugar free foods or drink diet soda, I think they taste funny. I just have a real soda once in a while.

As for coffee? Depends on the source! I generally use no sugar in espresso drinks from non chains (since it isn't roasted overly dark). Otherwise real sugar. Stevia in coffee doesn't work for me. I keep trying it, and I am disappointed. I don't know why I keep trying! I find the better the the coffee....the less sugar I need.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,623 times
I don't eat anything with aspartame because it makes my legs go numb and it gives me awful headaches. I'd stick to the natural sugar. You're better off. Also, avoid anything that has high fructose corn syrup, too, like regular sodas and soft drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss