Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times

Advertisements

Anyone suffers from this condition? Even after diet, exercize its difficult to loose weight for a lot of women because of this condition. Was reading some material about it & thought I would start a discussion. Any medical treatments, home remedies that worked for the patients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Women with polycystic ovary syndrome tend to have metabolic abnormalities.

Metformin can help, but it requires a prescription.

It can also improve fertility, so if pregnancy is not desired, contraception is in order. Options include oral contraceptives, which can help with other PCO problems, like excess hair growth.

Metformin (Glucophage) for polycystic ovary syndrome

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks Suzy. I also read the herbal medicine Dong quai also works great

Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Thanks Suzy. I also read the herbal medicine Dong quai also works great

There is really no evidence to show dong quai does anything.

Dong quai (Angelica sinensis [Oliv.] Diels) - MayoClinic.com

"Although Dong quai has many historical and theoretical uses based on animal studies, there is little human evidence supporting the effects of Dong quai for any condition."

Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,180 times
Quote:
Anyone suffers from this condition? Even after diet, exercize its difficult to loose weight for a lot of women because of this condition. Was reading some material about it & thought I would start a discussion. Any medical treatments, home remedies that worked for the patients?
I have pcos (you name the symptom, I've got it in spades, and it's getting worse as time goes on) and suffered from weight issues my whole life. Did every diet, plan, trick and gimic you could think of and just got bigger and bigger. Followed an unconventional method throughout 2010/2011 and FINALLY lost the weight BUT the trade off to losing the weight is that I am now having to starve and exercise myself nearly to death to keep it off.

If I vary at all from the few foods I am able to eat, or eat too much of them, I can easily gain several pounds overnight. If I don't exercise HARD several times a day, EVERY day, I gain. Case in point: I had a sliver of a friends wedding cake (you could almost see through it) no icing, just the cake, and when I say a sliver I mean it was the size of a single square of Salada cracker, and the next morning I was up more than 3 lbs. That was the only deviation from my dietary intake up to that point in many weeks, plus I missed my evening exercise, and I gained more than 3 lbs overnight. And it took me almost a month to get it back off. Effed up, huh?

Now before you freak and think you're doomed to my situation, let me just say that i personally feel that the reason i have to fight so hard and be so vigilant is because the weight that puts me in the highest spot on the healthy BMi score is simply too low a weight for MY body, but apparently the sun shines out BMI's bum, since everything is based on that. rather than individual assessment. Were all the same you know! (b.s.)

I read not long ago that "they" are thinking of lowering the BMI ranges again (the ranges were changed a few years ago and thousands of people went from being "normal" to overweight, or overweight to obese literally overnight.) I don't know what I will do if they lower the ranges......cut off a limb I guess, because already have to run myself into the ground to stay at 24.9 BMI. My company will only subsidize private health funds if you're in the healthy range, of which I am only just in. I can't afford the full premiums on my own and due to some health issues that my weight loss didn't cure (every doctor i saw said if i lost weight everything would fix itself and fall into place. Well, for a while it looked like they were right. Still infertile, but my other health issues went away........and have since come back, with a vengeance; my doctors are stupefied over this; i apparently am some sort of anomaly since what was supposed to happen didn't. I never bought that weight loss was my ultimate savior, always knew there was more to it than just "you're fat; lose weight!", so their head scratching and stroking-the-beard-while-pondering-this-unexpected-outcome is rather satisfying to me, effing know-it-all know-nothings!).

Basically my entire life revolves around my full time job to earn income and my second full time job of weight loss maintainence which consists of careful planning, weighing, measuring and timing everything I eat, which isn't much. The rest of the time I exercise and sleep. That is IT. I have zero life outside of weightless maintaining. If I get side tracked or don't stay the course I can be up 10 lbs in no time flat! I have no social life outside of work, my marriage is holding on by a thread because all my time is taken up with maintaining so my husband and I live largely separate lives, and the only reason I get on CD when I do is when I'm unable to sleep. Probably still too much adrenaline or something.

So I've unfortunately got no advice I can give you, other than to offer you a heartfelt "I'm so sorry you suffer from d@mn pcos, and good luck on weight loss. I know a lot of women who are conventionally successful, but I'm not one of them."

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
PCOS is so tricky because it makes weight loss incredibly difficult - but at the same time, weight management is key to controlling the disease. That's why it can be so easy to spiral out of control.

I've been dealing with PCOS since I was 16. In addition, I suffered from increasing fatigue due to cancer for 4 years (plus steroids used to treat the symptoms while I was misdiagnosed!) which caused a lot of weight gain, and then 6 months of chemo with quite a lot of steroids made me gain almost 60 pounds! I'm a year out, 24, and over 250 pounds and while I eat clean with a calorie intake between 1400 - 1600 and do 4-5 days of serious calorie burning cardio (spinning mostly), the weight won't drop off. I changed my diet and paid more attention to calories for the past 2 months, and have been working out for the past month - so as you can imagine, it's really frustrating. But also considered normal - with my hormones all out of whack and my body in general still very confused following chemo, the normal calories in-calories out doesn't seem to work with my body. If it did, I would be losing at the very least a pound a week (and probably more like 2 or 3 since I'm burning an average of 1000 calories per workout!). I'm not even eating enough to maintain, but maintain I am!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for sharing your stories. I have suffered from pcos since my teens & ballooned to 200lbs with very irregular periods. I have been struggling since then with dieting/exercising to loose weight & feel like I have to do twice the work than a normal person. I was able to bring it down when I switched to eating just salads, especially spinach. Yoga helped too. I am still not my normal weight but getting there. But my periods are as irregular as they can be. I started using dong quai last month & it helped with my period. I am in my 30s & trying to get pregnant. My doctor prescribed some medicines that would help with ovulation & I will start taking them soon. I am a believer in natural remedies & very doubtful about pharmaceuticals as they tend to have side effects. I think I will continue taking don quai for a while as I was able to get my period within 2 weeks. I would hate to go into fertility treatments. Want to conceive naturally. Has anyone tried don quai before & if so, for how many months did you take it to regulate your cycle? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your stories. I have suffered from pcos since my teens & ballooned to 200lbs with very irregular periods. I have been struggling since then with dieting/exercising to loose weight & feel like I have to do twice the work than a normal person. I was able to bring it down when I switched to eating just salads, especially spinach. Yoga helped too. I am still not my normal weight but getting there. But my periods are as irregular as they can be. I started using dong quai last month & it helped with my period. I am in my 30s & trying to get pregnant. My doctor prescribed some medicines that would help with ovulation & I will start taking them soon. I am a believer in natural remedies & very doubtful about pharmaceuticals as they tend to have side effects. I think I will continue taking don quai for a while as I was able to get my period within 2 weeks. I would hate to go into fertility treatments. Want to conceive naturally. Has anyone tried don quai before & if so, for how many months did you take it to regulate your cycle? Any advice would help. Thanks.
See post # 4 above.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
PCOS is so tricky because it makes weight loss incredibly difficult - but at the same time, weight management is key to controlling the disease. That's why it can be so easy to spiral out of control.

I've been dealing with PCOS since I was 16. In addition, I suffered from increasing fatigue due to cancer for 4 years (plus steroids used to treat the symptoms while I was misdiagnosed!) which caused a lot of weight gain, and then 6 months of chemo with quite a lot of steroids made me gain almost 60 pounds! I'm a year out, 24, and over 250 pounds and while I eat clean with a calorie intake between 1400 - 1600 and do 4-5 days of serious calorie burning cardio (spinning mostly), the weight won't drop off. I changed my diet and paid more attention to calories for the past 2 months, and have been working out for the past month - so as you can imagine, it's really frustrating. But also considered normal - with my hormones all out of whack and my body in general still very confused following chemo, the normal calories in-calories out doesn't seem to work with my body. If it did, I would be losing at the very least a pound a week (and probably more like 2 or 3 since I'm burning an average of 1000 calories per workout!). I'm not even eating enough to maintain, but maintain I am!
I am fortunate to not have had to deal with cancer and chemo, so I would say your situation is more complicated than mine, but hear ya loud and clear......frustration doesn't even begin to describe what some of us go through. I am filthy on people who say 'calories in, calories out' over and over ad nauseum, or tell people to 'put down the cheese burger and the Krispy Kremes!'. Sometimes it's not that black and white.

If you're seeing some success just keep doing what you're doing.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,190 times
Hi, My name is Saira and I am 21 years old unmarried. I am a patient of polycystic ovaries. My Doctor gave me Glucophage 500 to take twice in a day. I started having problems with my periods so she gave me primolut n thrice for 5 days. I stopped at 6th of Feb and today is 10th but I didnt have my periods yet. I am very worried about it.
Can you help me?? I want to mention here that I am on Dieting because I am over weight.
Will it help me to lose my weight?
Please reply...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss