Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
As the title says--to lose weight do you cut all bad things out of your diet
Good heavens, no!

Quote:
or do you just eat the "bad" stuff in moderation or modify the bad stuff so that they are healthy(i.e. make pancakes with whole wheat flour).
A little of both.

For instance, eating cheese is an instant trigger for me to overeat. I haven't cut cheese completely out of my diet; I just don't buy it and bring it home; the only exception is feta cheese, which has such a strong flavor that I am satisfied with just a little of it. But I do enjoy cheese when I'm eating out.

Same with items made with white flour; I just don't have them in the house, but if I'm at my mom's and she is making lasagna, I'll eat it and enjoy it, and get back to my own way of eating the next meal or the next day.

If you can identify those foods that really set you off, it makes controlling your appetite a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually, you have to cut all the GOOD things out of your diet.
LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I cut out all fast foods like taco bell, mcdonald's, BK, white castle, Wendy's except pizza and greek take out, I even cut out chinese food. Last time I had foods from these places was 2010.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Whenever I've cut out certain carbs(white) and/or grains I always lose weight quickly, but then I hit a plateau just as quickly as well. I've never been able to lose more than 8 pounds when I've cut out grains and/or white carbs. I've done South beach, Atkins, etc. And always the same result, I hit a plateau after I lose 8 pounds and the only way to get over the plateau is to eat a white carb, and introduce grains. Both times when I got to my thinnest(a size 4) I was eating breads, grains, and white carbs. Matter of fact the first time that I got to a size 4, I was eating fried chicken sandwhich, french fries, candy, and juice. The trick is that I only ate twice a day and worked out, and ate about 1200-1500 calories. I did this and in 2.5 months was down to a size 4 from a size 8. The second time I did SBD and then during phase 3, when I started having pig out days twice a week(one where I ate 2000 calories, the other where I ate close to 3000) I got down to a size 4 as well. For me it seems like I lose weight the best when I'm eating moderate portions, working out, and having days where I eat more than usual. My body for some reason, tends to like carbs. That being said I feel like I feel the best when I'm eating healthy foods, and splurging on non-healthy foods every now and then(like maybe once a week). I don't think it's realistic to completely cut out grains, and/or white carbs out of my diet, since I'm a foodie and I know I enjoy these things. But I think it is realistic to eat these things maybe once a week rather than everyday.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Yes, as much as I can. I follow the food plan my trainer gave me; he's a consultant to the Biggest Loser. I've eliminated most gluten products; I do eat irish oatmeal. I eat every 3-4 hours, and include protein with every meal. This helps with the food cravings. I eat a lot of veggies. I limit fruit to one serving a day, my afternoon snack. Just this week I decided to give up diary...I was getting really tired of it, and since it is a typical "allergen-type" food, I'm hoping I will have an increase of energy and cut down on sugar cravings (my downfall). Drinking coffee with almond milk is really different, not intolerable or horrible, just different.

FWIW, following advice from an online forum is much like doing an internet search...there's a ton of opinions, and it's really hard to figure out which one is best for you, unless you enjoy trial & error. I do not. I went with the advice of someone I know personally, and trust. Good luck OP.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I try not to think of any food as "bad," it's more that there's food I should eat every day (lean protein, veggies, whole grains, etc.) and foods that should be enjoyed occasionally. So it's not that I don't eat ice cream or mac and cheese or mashed potatoes, but I don't eat them very often.
Same here. The bulk of the time I eat whole foods (as in not boxed/packaged stuff) that I have made at home and I try to eat lots of veg, lighter amounts of meat, and eat whole grains (not the white stuff). Because I eat healthfully the majority of the time, I can eat the "bad" stuff here and there with no ill effect. Also, if you eat better quality stuff it is more satisfying. For instance, I rarely eat mac and cheese but when I do, I want the real stuff- baked, lots of real cheese, etc. I'd rather have that every once in a while than a weekly meal of the boxed bright orange cheese powder crap.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 AM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I don't want to eliminate grains from my diet. I believe they offer great health benefits. I don't feel the need to overeat with them either. My biggest problems are white carbs(pizza, pancakes, french toast, french bread, cake) and chocolate. If I eliminated chocolate and white carbs I would be okay, because diet is otherwise healthy.

Problem is that when I PMS(like right now) nothing soothes my craving but white carbs and chocolate. I crave chocolate everyday. :-(
Make the switch to dark chocolate, it has health benefits. You don't need to eliminate grains, just limit the amount each day, and try to use whole grains as much as possible. Some of the whole grain breads are prepared to simulate old school white bread.

I have never completely eliminated "bad" foods from my diet for more than a few weeks at a time. The SouthBeach diet requires a 2 week detox at the beginning, which eliminates all sugars, fruit, and grains. It helps moderate your blood sugar and keeps those cravings at bay.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
I could never cut out all the "bad" stuff, I love it way too much. There's no way I could keep that up in the long term. I just try to eat it in moderation but I still eat a cookie, a bowl of crisps and some candy or chocolate every evening, as well as one or two glasses of juice or soda. I haven't changed my diet in terms of breakfast, lunch or dinner either, I just eat what I normally eat. I'm not going to live on soups or salades for the rest of my life, I'd rather be a bit overweight than having to do that.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
No alcohol. Doctor told me my liver was being affected (I was taking a lot of liver stressing Lipitor at the time).

Old 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
I'm always seeing pizza lumped in with "junk" or "bad" food.
I think pizza is GOOD food.
What precisely is wrong with tomatoes, melted cheese, and baked bread with seasonings and herbs?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I'm always seeing pizza lumped in with "junk" or "bad" food.
I think pizza is GOOD food.
What precisely is wrong with tomatoes, melted cheese, and baked bread with seasonings and herbs?
How many threads do you need to post this on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss