Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,214 times

Advertisements

Seems like every 15 lbs for me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Another note. In most women's brands. Sizes above about 10 or 12 tend to have a 1.5 to 2 inch gap in measurements. Below that size, the gap is 1-1.5 inches. So the larger size you wear, the more inches you need to drop.

But weight of course doesn't tell the whole story. If you have more muscle, you can weigh more. If you have a bigger/wider frame you'll hit your limit in terms of size sooner. And also, ask yourself where you carry your weight. If you are hippy or busty, you might end up staying in a larger size, even as your waist gets smaller. Or you might be predisposed to thick arms or thick thighs and they'll limit how small you can get.

Keep the tape measure handy and ignore the scale.
Well, I weigh in every week so I can't ignore the scale. However, I don't keep a scale in the house and that helps limit my obsession.

It's certainly not an issue of having too much muscle. LOL I've never taken my measurements, but I suppose I'd be considered hippy/busty and I think I will always have thick thighs.

I did not know that about sizes, though. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Well, I weigh in every week so I can't ignore the scale. However, I don't keep a scale in the house and that helps limit my obsession.

It's certainly not an issue of having too much muscle. LOL I've never taken my measurements, but I suppose I'd be considered hippy/busty and I think I will always have thick thighs.

I did not know that about sizes, though. Thanks.
Go out and get a tape measure. You might find you lose 2 pounds and 3 inches in your waist.

Measure hips, waist, around you belly button, bust, under bust, thighs and arms.

These may change much more than the scale.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have lost 57 lbs so far and I went from a size 18/20 to a 10/12, it alsodepends on your body frame and who makes the clothes. I buy from Chicos and their clothes tend to run a little bigger. I shop in old navy and when I buy shirts I am now in a large as opposed to a 2X
Lubby, how long did it take you to lose the 57 lbs? Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Lubby, how long did it take you to lose the 57 lbs? Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?
I am 5'4" tall and it took me 1 1/2 years. I still have about 20 more lbs to go. Loosing 1-2 lbs a week is good. Fast weight loss is not good.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM

464 posts, read 479,271 times
How long did you wait to update your wardrobe? I don't want to purchase any new clothes until I'm at the weight i am comfortable with.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
I can be many different weights and all my clothes fit me all the time. Even when 15-20lbs heavier or lighter. I am 6'4" tall and everything fits at any weight.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
I am average height and medium bone. I find that to calculate my size all I have to do is remove the last number from my weight. So at 120 lbs. the size would be 12. When I started going to the gym my muscles made my size one size smaller than that.

People with smaller bones will be smaller at that weight, such as a size 8 for 120 lbs. My dil has really small bones and is taller than I am and I have never asked her how much she weighs but she can wear a size 4 or 6. Everybody is different.

My daughter has my husband's larger bones and bought a wedding dress she really wanted and started on a diet that made her so skinny her bones were sticking out at her waist but we still had to have the dress altered because just being skin and bones, she was not small enough to fit. She gets upset because she can never buy from cheap stores. She also has really long arms. So when you try on something and wonder why they have the arms so long, think of her. Her daughter is even thiner than she is and taller and looks like a model and wears a medium but can sometimes fit into a more expensive small.

My mother told me years ago that the more expensive the outfit the smaller the size you can wear. Interesting, huh. What size you wear may be determined on how much you pay for the clothes.

I think it is all about the bones.

Last edited by NCN; 11-17-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
How long did you wait to update your wardrobe? I don't want to purchase any new clothes until I'm at the weight i am comfortable with.
I recently bought a couple new pairs of pants, size 10. I am at the point now where some of my pants are starting to fall off so I couldn't put it off much longer. I don't want to spend a lot until I am at my goal.

I recently went through my closet and pulled out three bags of stuff to donate. That felt good.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am average height and medium bone. I find that to calculate my size all I have to do is remove the last number from my weight. So at 120 lbs. the size would be 12. When I started going to the gym my muscles made my size one size smaller than that.

People with smaller bones will be smaller at that weight, such as a size 8 for 120 lbs. My dil has really small bones and is taller than I am and I have never asked her how much she weighs but she can wear a size 4 or 6. Everybody is different.

My daughter has my husband's larger bones and bought a wedding dress she really wanted and started on a diet that made her so skinny her bones were sticking out at her waist but we still had to have the dress altered because just being skin and bones, she was not small enough to fit. She gets upset because she can never buy from cheap stores. She also has really long arms. So when you try on something and wonder why they have the arms so long, think of her. Her daughter is even thiner than she is and taller and looks like a model and wears a medium but can sometimes fit into a more expensive small.

My mother told me years ago that the more expensive the outfit the smaller the size you can wear. Interesting, huh. What size you wear may be determined on how much you pay for the clothes.

I think it is all about the bones.
That's interesting. I think I'm medium-large boned, but I am only five feet tall. I think I'm going to stop worrying about numbers and just go with what fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss