Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiousity, about how many pounds do you need to lose to go down one clothing size? I have noticed that I can gain 10 pounds and my clothes still fit. So far I have lost 35 pounds and only gone down two sizes. Is this normal or am I just an oddball?! I assume that every body is different...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Just out of curiousity, about how many pounds do you need to lose to go down one clothing size? I have noticed that I can gain 10 pounds and my clothes still fit. So far I have lost 35 pounds and only gone down two sizes. Is this normal or am I just an oddball?! I assume that every body is different...

I think so much depends on your frame size.

I have lost 15 pounds. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 12 (and some 14s). But I will stay in a 12 FOREVER. I know this because I am losing weight that I gained after an accident and crutches and casts etc for a year. I wear a 12 for the next 15 pounds! I promise you. And a Large shirt, even when I am scrawny. I have broad shoulders.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think so much depends on your frame size.

I have lost 15 pounds. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 12 (and some 14s). But I will stay in a 12 FOREVER. I know this because I am losing weight that I gained after an accident and crutches and casts etc for a year. I wear a 12 for the next 15 pounds! I promise you. And a Large shirt, even when I am scrawny. I have broad shoulders.
I have also gone from a 16 to a 12, but the 12's are starting to get a little more loose. I am five feet tall, if that makes a difference. I mostly wear a large shirt, but it does depend on the style. I am down to a medium in standard t-shirts. It's just a little frustrating to do all this work and see the results on the scale and feel like the number on my pants should be lower. Maybe I'm just built like a basset hound. LOL

Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I have trouble with sizing because of my frame and body type. I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last few years (about 30 lbs) but have only dropped a few sizes. I am over 5'8" tall, and am down to size 12. Even if I lost 30 more lbs (where I would look like a rail!) I would only drop to size 10. I have broad shoulders and a large bust; also I have slim hips and thighs from years of bike riding, but at my age carry extra weight around my waist. I fit in much smaller sizes bottom wise all over except for the waist. So, you see, it is different for everyone.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post

It really depends on:
- how you wear your clothing ( baggy 12 or tight 12 etc)

- percentage of weight to lose - Losing 10 lbs when you have 30 to go won't be as big of a size change as only having the last 10 pounds.

- diet and workout - dieting only: loses more pounds than mass. Dieting and strength training: will generally lose more mass than pounds.

My size changes came about every 10 lbs but a must at 15 lbs (or it would look sloppy)
At the end/finish my weight didn't change at all and just my sizes did when I was working on putting on lean mass. I knew it would happen but to see it happen...lol..its crazy. I dropped 4-6 sizes and stayed the same weight. (took about a year I think)

Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Yeah, I find that when you are larger, it takes more weight to go down a size. For me, a 60 pound difference is only 2 sizes (although at my smallest, I could get the next size smaller jeans pulled on, just not done up, so another 5-10 pounds would probably have meant a 3rd size).

Also remember that size and weight do not necessarily go together. One summer I rode my bike to work every day, and while I went down a full jean size, I gained 5 pounds.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I have a very small frame - I am 5.4 but my bones are little. I lost 40lbs and went from bursting out of a size 12 (that was the last straw for me) to a size 2/4 depending on brand.
I also did/do a ton of strength training as well as cardio.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have lost 57 lbs so far and I went from a size 18/20 to a 10/12, it alsodepends on your body frame and who makes the clothes. I buy from Chicos and their clothes tend to run a little bigger. I shop in old navy and when I buy shirts I am now in a large as opposed to a 2X

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have trouble with sizing because of my frame and body type. I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last few years (about 30 lbs) but have only dropped a few sizes. I am over 5'8" tall, and am down to size 12. Even if I lost 30 more lbs (where I would look like a rail!) I would only drop to size 10. I have broad shoulders and a large bust; also I have slim hips and thighs from years of bike riding, but at my age carry extra weight around my waist. I fit in much smaller sizes bottom wise all over except for the waist. So, you see, it is different for everyone.
OMG this sounds so much like me. Are you my lost twin?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Well, I'm glad to see so many different answers! It is interesting just how different everyone's body is. While I am only down to a size 12, I have noticed my pants are definitely getting baggier. I could probably fit (or come close to fitting) in a 10 fairly soon. I did try on a size 10 pair of jeans yesterday and while they were definitely tight, I could get them on and zipped. I guess that's progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss