Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,073,658 times

Advertisements

[quote=tjarado;27876062]Catknapp - I mentioned coffee as one of the things I drink during the day, not to stay hydrated, but because i like it, so i drink it. I wanted to be honest and not give a false impression that i was a purist, goody-two-shoes kinda gal. I drink plenty of water, plain or fizzy. I fizz filtered water with Sodastream because i got sick of schlepping crates of soda in and recycling them out.
QUOTE]

Sorry - it was just the way it was phrased, I thought you were saying that coffee hydrated you - now re-reading your post I see what you mean....a couple of cups of coffee if you enjoy it is no biggie really - there are a whole lot of other things that you could be drinking that would be a lot worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,676,630 times
I am going to try this starting next week, can you give me some some pointers. I've read that you pick a day, say Sunday at 6pm to Monday at 6 pm, to fast, then you have a small a window of 8 hours to eat your daily allowed calories, basically as much as you want to eat before you fast again. Is this the one your doing?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,773,658 times
asitshouldbe - I am not doing a 24hr fast like you described, i.e. from n-hr day1 to n-hr day2.
I went to sleep one day,woke up the next day and started a modified (<500 callorie) fast for that entire day. it's advisable to snack only twice so you obtain an extended period of very low-caloric intake. So I eat a hardboiled egg (80 cal.) or 5 tidbits of whitefish in wine sauce (100 cal,) as the first food on the fast day, usually before noon.
At 2 or 3pm i get hungry. I drink some lemon-aided club soda. I wait until 5:30 in a mild state of hunger, knowing that i will eat another 2-300 calories very soon. I often get on the internet and kill time here... like NOW for instance! (I am on EST so note the post will read an hour later) Right now i am readying to eat about 5-6 oz of leftover chicken breast and munch on some raw carrots.
That's it. I'm done for the day. I'll go to sleep tonight and, in the unlikely event i feel nagging hunger, i MIGHT eat a small orange, but often nothing. Otherwise, i'm home free till tomorrow, when i will wake, go to the gym for 25 mins of elliptical and some light weight training for strength. I'll come home and have scrambled eggs and cheese, 2-3 little sausages, a slice of toast with butter.
With two mugs of excellent coffee. I am now good for the whole day until dinner around 6:30. If i get hungry before then i eat what i feel like. i usually won't eat after 9 Pm. Sometimes i have nuts or a scoop of ice cream for dessert, depending on my desire. Then I go to bed, fully satisfied. I awake feeling quite frisky and start the fast again.
I never feel anxiety because i do this willingly, knowing that i can - and have - modified the regimen when needed.
If you are doing this for weight loss you should not feel guilt on an 'eating day' because the next day you will burn it off.
And you should not feel fear of failure on the 'fast day' because the next day you will eat your fill.
At least that has been my experience. Now I am in the stabilizing, not weight-loss stage any more.
Good luck to you in your endeavors.
Heaven's, how time flies! I've gotta get something to eat because i'm hungry.

Last edited by tjarado; 01-22-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Cattknap..
I am glad that you found a diet that works for you. I would take no pleasure in eating the meals you do and frankly I see no reason for it.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,676,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Cattknap..
I am glad that you found a diet that works for you. I would take no pleasure in eating the meals you do and frankly I see no reason for it.
tjarado, by any chance are you from "across the pond" your phrasing makes me think so.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM

asitshouldbe.. i live in south fL now but was a LI-NY native until a couple of years ago.
The phrasing you quote is actually a paraphrase - to reflect my position - on a prior post by cattknap.
So i must give credit where credit is due.
How did your first day of fasting work out?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM

525 posts, read 763,701 times
Diets DO NOT WORK. This statement is well supported by science.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Mr Rick - I am not dietting. I eat whatever i want but i really only am hungry every other day or so.
I naturally don't eat large every day. It's a real relief to know that I don't HAVE to anymore!
So, out of curiosity, are you slim, medium, or 'large-boned'?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Mr Rick - I am not dietting. I eat whatever i want but i really only am hungry every other day or so.
I naturally don't eat large every day. It's a real relief to know that I don't HAVE to anymore!
So, out of curiosity, are you slim, medium, or 'large-boned'?

Greetings tjardo

I am a natural ectomorph. I and 6' 2 " and have been as light as 150 pounds from 1997 to 2004. The funny thing is currently I am 212 pounds but lean and defined. My back is the most defined it has ever been . This took 6 to 8 loooooong years and a lot of lifting weights.

I look similar to NFL linebacker William Thomas on the Raiders. Google Image him. I am almost as big but not exactly.

I admire former Strongman Jesse Marunde a lot.

However, NONE of this matters. My personal look does not matter, I could be 400 pounds and my stance would no be just as supported if I was 98 pounds. Because it says nothing about huamnity trying to udnersyand the regulation of body weight- much of which remains UNKNOWN.

There are many competent and respected obesity scientists I have seen who are overweight themselves. They are trying to figure it out.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 AM

I am happy you like intermittent fasting and you can continue you it long term. It probably will keep you at the lower end of your setpoint- about 5 to 10 pounds lighter.

So that is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss