Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM

180 posts, read 267,900 times

Advertisements

For years I have lived on a large cheese pizza delivered to my door every day along with 2 diet Cokes. I'm as healthy as a superhero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM

13 posts, read 16,809 times
User_id..
Filet mignon is high in animal fat, as most tender, delicious, steaks are.
Does that mean they are "junk food" and should not be eaten, even occassionally?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiradeaux View Post
User_id..
Does that mean they are "junk food" and should not be eaten, even occassionally?
Indeed. The Masai in Africa have a diet high in blood (yes blood), meat and milk that would and does drop Americans left and right.

Guess what's different about them?

Their level if physical activity...

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_Vanilla View Post
For years I have lived on a large cheese pizza delivered to my door every day along with 2 diet Cokes. I'm as healthy as a superhero!
Doubtful. You cannot outrun or out-lift an unhealthy diet. It will catch up to you one day.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
1) I'm 35.
2) A LOT of people eat fast food every day.
3) No one said junk foods are great but exercise and portion control negates the occasional moderate junk food use.
4) No one knows the long term effects of junk food on healthy, fit people. Show me a study or I call bs...
1.) Right....so you really have no idea how your dietary lifestyle has effected your health...you're too young.
2.) They do? I don't know any of them....but there is nothing inherently bad about "fast food". Heck, even McDonalds has some okay options. Cooking foods at home doesn't make them magically healthy, its the nutritional value of the food that matters.
3.) Exercise and portion control doesn't negate anything, why would it? Why would doing some physical activity magically eliminate the physical effects of some foods?
4.) You're begging the question, how does someone maintain their health while eating junk foods? You are speaking of health and fitness as something independent of what people put in their months, but its not. You seem to be conflating physical fitness (i.e., being lean, etc) with being "healthy"...the two aren't the same. Lean fit people die of heart disease all the time..... But I guess in 20~30 years you'll get to find out the long-term effects?

"In moderation" is just an excuse, its totally meaningless....

Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiradeaux View Post
User_id..
Right, its junk food and should be avoided. What does occasionally mean? If you eat a steak once a month and your diet is otherwise healthy, well, that is unlikely to have bunch of a negative impact.

There are really two separate issues here. 1.) Whether or not some food is health promoting or not, 2.) How much junk food one can eat without it having a negative impact on their health. #1 is about individual foods, but to evaluate #2 you have to look at the whole diet. So without knowing the nature of one's diet, you can't know how much filet mignon one can get away with eating. For the vast majority of Americans the answer is pretty simple though: none.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Indeed. The Masai in Africa have a diet high in blood (yes blood), meat and milk that would and does drop Americans left and right.

Guess what's different about them?Their level if physical activity...
Firstly, people in the US aren't eating a Masai diet. Secondly focusing on the fact that they consume a lot of dairy etc, while ignoring the fact that they don't eat processed foods and actually eat plants that naturally lower cholesterol doesn't make much sense.

But as popular as this example is on the internet, its just a myth. The Masai have evidence of heart disease and the primary reason you don't see them dropping dead of heart attacks is because their life expectancy is ~40..... Even in the US heart attacks are rare when one is <40. So their diet does effect their health.

The physical activity certainly keeps them slim though, so the lesson here is if you're burning ~3,500 calories a day you may be able to eat high fat foods without becoming overweight. This may apply to what, .01% of the country?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,776,249 times
user_id.. I think you are more "religious" rather than "reasoned" in your opinions.
Much of what you say does not seem to derive from science..or even illuminating anecdotes!!
WHY is food high in animal fats bad for you? Cholesterol?? Little children often have high cholesterol.
I also am not convinced that cholesterol causes or promotes heart and artery disease nor that reducing blood-cholesterol has been shown to significantly prevent premature death from those diseases. At least not yet.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Firstly, people in the US aren't eating a Masai diet. Secondly focusing on the fact that they consume a lot of dairy etc, while ignoring the fact that they don't eat processed foods and actually eat plants that naturally lower cholesterol doesn't make much sense.

But as popular as this example is on the internet, its just a myth. The Masai have evidence of heart disease and the primary reason you don't see them dropping dead of heart attacks is because their life expectancy is ~40..... Even in the US heart attacks are rare when one is <40. So their diet does effect their health.

The physical activity certainly keeps them slim though, so the lesson here is if you're burning ~3,500 calories a day you may be able to eat high fat foods without becoming overweight. This may apply to what, .01% of the country?
The Masai live an outdoor lifestyle sans medicine or modern comforts like soap.

And american on that same diet from child hood tends to die young.

Imagine that...

The point is that diet is not the end all be all. Exercise mandatory...

Exercise also does negate some if the effects of bad food. Not all but no one is saying that.

We are saying moderate use of bad food is negated by exercise.

Moderate use implies a generally healthy lifestyle.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
user_id.. I think you are more "religious" rather than "reasoned" in your opinions.Much of what you say does not seem to derive from science....
You don't say? Now after you made this comment I figured you'd bring up some actual science....but no just popular pseudo-science and a brief discussion of cholesterol, something I didn't even mention....

Quote:
WHY is food high in animal fats bad for you? Cholesterol?? Little children often have high cholesterol.
Huh? Animal fat and cholesterol are two different substances, animal fat contains some cholesterol by virtue of being part of an animal. But that isn't the primarily reason its bad for you, instead its the structure of the fats themselves and not all animal fats are equally bad for you. In the case of cheese, well, its a lot of saturated fat which is known to increase your risk for cardiovascular disease. There are other issues with cheese as well, its filled with hormones (in particular growth hormones) and its proteins (e.g., casein) are problematic for many people.

A healthy child doesn't have high cholesterol, heck, a healthy adult doesn't either....

Quote:
I also am not convinced that cholesterol causes or promotes heart and artery disease nor that reducing blood-cholesterol has been shown to significantly prevent premature death from those diseases.
This is really just a straw man, nobody in the scientific community thinks that cholesterol "causes" heart disease. Instead they think its a factor in heart disease and its a useful marker for heart disease since high cholesterol levels are highly correlated with developing heart disease. Heart disease is rather rare in people with total cholesterol levels below 150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss