Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
The Masai live an outdoor lifestyle sans medicine or modern comforts like soap. And american on that same diet from child hood tends to die young.
Same diet? No American is on the same diet because many of the foods they consume aren't available in the US, again, it makes no sense to isolate your addition to one aspect of their diet while ignoring others. Diet as a whole needs to be analyzed, not the consumption of some particular food....that is why "in moderation" is such a bad idea when applied to individual foods.

I don't think you get it....but the Masai die young. Their life expectancy is around 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
The point is that diet is not the end all be all. Exercise mandatory...
I never said it was the "end all be all", I said its the primary factor with regard to health and weight-loss and that exercise doesn't eliminate the effects of a poor diet.

If exercise was the key issue, then Americans would be getting slimmer. Americans are exercising more, not less, than they did in the past....yet they are getting fatter. Its the food.

Americans Get Fatter, Drunker: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 16,809 times
user_id - you know darn well what I meant by 'animal fat' et al.
Most people seem to infer the same thing from your posts.
SO, if your "reasoning" is NOT that eating unsaturated fats is BAD for you then please, say what you DO MEAN.

I do not use the absence of proof to be evidence of the truth of it's opposite.
That is a fallacy of informal logic known as argumentum ad ignorantiam.

And your statement that "A healthy child doesn't have high cholesterol" is begging the question.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM

4,684 posts, read 5,017,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiradeaux View Post
user_id - you know darn well what I meant by 'animal fat' et al.
Most people seem to infer the same thing from your posts.
SO, if your "reasoning" is NOT that eating unsaturated fats is BAD for you then please, say what you DO MEAN.

I do not use the absence of proof to be evidence of the truth of it's opposite.
That is a fallacy of informal logic known as argumentum ad ignorantiam.

And your statement that "A healthy child doesn't have high cholesterol" is begging the question.
I'd say you've figured out user_id quite well. Next step is putting him on the ignore list.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
you know darn well what I meant by 'animal fat' et al.
When you say "animal fat" I think you mean...."animal fat". Feel free to elaborate on what you meant....I'm not in the business of reading minds.

Quote:
SO, if your "reasoning" is NOT that eating unsaturated fats is BAD for you then please
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here, but fats beyond the small amount of the essential fatty acids you need aren't good for you. But some fats are worse than others, the least bad fats are those naturally occurring in plant foods (nuts, seeds, etc) and the worst are animal based saturated fats.

Quote:
Not in the scientific community, but in the scientific denial community...yes it begs the question.

You claimed that what I've suggested isn't rooted in science, yet the idea that saturated fat promotes heart disease and that refined grains are problematic are mainstream science. Perhaps you are confusing your conspiracy theories with actual science.....

Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'd say you've figured out user_id quite well. Next step is putting him on the ignore list.
Right. Most sane people around here figure that out pretty quickly. He's the ONLY person who has ever remained on my ignore list longer than a week. He's on permanent ignore for me.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM

186 posts, read 264,133 times
Healthy pizza: How about some recipes

I have the perfect size piazza for me, I start with 1/2 english muffin, toast it crispy. Put my pizza toppings in a small bowl, a little crumble bacon, a couple of pieces of peppironi (how many do you actually get on a slice. If I put on 5 its usually more than I get at a store, some mozzerella (like an ounce of grated). put it in the microwave with some mushrooms and black olives. Put the whole thing in the microwave for like 30 sec to 1 min. put crispy muffin on saucer add a tablespoon of sauce and some parmesian, then add the toppings from the microwave and eat. yummm

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,494,132 times
Quote:
User_id..
Filet mignon is high in animal fat, as most tender, delicious, steaks are.
Does that mean they are "junk food" and should not be eaten, even occassionally?

I would think so. Too much saturated fat.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,591,844 times
It depends on the pizza. Pizza can definitely be good for you.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM

17,583 posts, read 39,285,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
It depends on the pizza. Pizza can definitely be good for you.
I had pizza last night. I made it myself. Healthy sourdough crust, homemade organic tomato sauce, and a melange of European cheeses. It was delicious!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 AM

Its strange that people think something "homemade" is healthy, or that something that uses organic ingredients is healthy. Pizza so long as its your typical crust made with refined carbohydrates, sauce and cheese is by any measure a junk food. May as well eat a snickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss