Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM

191 posts, read 163,863 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried recipes that incorporate lots of herbs and spices? All can add flavor to your meals if you're looking for good taste. They can also be beneficial to the regulation of blood sugar, digestion, appetite, circulation, and immunity. Salt, sugar, and butter are NOT the only ways to add flavor and satisfy you. Don't let the companies that market cookies, cake, and chips fool you into thinking you have to choose between good taste/satiation and good health.
Spices That Suppress Appetite | eHow.com
Seasonings help curb hunger pangs, boosts metabolism
http://ezinearticles.com/?Growing-Sp...ite&id=3815135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,519,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Trust me,I know what you mean.
You like to feel stuffed;I do too.

The only thing that helped me is not having cakes,cookies,and bread in the house.
Also,what I did was ate one,big, 1500 calorie meal a day and then let it provide me energy throughout the day.
Yes, it's embarrassing as hell for me to admit this, but I do like (and seem to need) to feel "stuffed".

This leads me to the next step: Why, when I was younger, could I manage without that need to feel so stuffed?

I think, in my case, it had to do with the fact that I worked and attended a grad school with an internship of 2 years, was always so busy - I wasn't home like I am now, with food in front of my face.

Deal is, I am still "working" with no pay: I do cat rescue and care for sick, injured and semi-feral cats who need care, in my home, as a volunteer. I cannot go out to a job, period, and must be home most of the time.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why not try the low fat versions of cookies and cakes?
I just found a recipe for cake using diet coke....cuts out the carbs,calories,and fat.

Make a veggie burger(70 cal) low fat cheese(25 cal) low cal bread(80 cal) and 2 slices of turkey bacon(40 cal).
Taste just like real thing,without the calories.

Yeah I know its useless info to you....
Here is some useful advice....try liposuction or the lapband.

Hi Jersey!

LOL, I know I am being such "rhymes with witch", but I am so darn frustrated, have been sincere in my efforts, think of strategies to lose weight constantly - and fail.

I would not do liposuction and have thought of the lapband, but I have heard not so great stories, too.

Thanks for your responses, sincerely!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
Martha I will tell you what works for me.

i keep no temptations at home, no cookies, bread, ice cream, chocolate, chips. When I have a craving I buy a small packages For example I buy a package of 4 cookies and share them with other people. I can only buy one package at a time anything else will be eaten. I have zero self control once the food is paid for. I also only eat this as part of my lunch or dinner as I don't snack.

I also count my calories (you gotta do this, there is no way around this) and try to eat only 3 times a day, because I can lose control with snacking. I only eat healthy foods I find tasty and also include less healthy food in moderation. I stay away from high calorie sauces(they add up quickly) or eat them in moderation.

When I eat out I always request a small meal because I know my lack of discipline.

That's it. It is easier than what it seems once those temptations are not around.
Thanks so much for those suggestions. Hmm, nothing bad around the house, etc. I had thought of that but figured I'd go out for an ice cream instead of finding it in the refrig. Matter of fact, I did do that. But I still think your suggestions are excellent.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So, Martha Anne, based on all the things you've said about what you like and don't like, what you know, how you could pass a dietician test...

You KNOW exactly what you should do. You don't WANT to do it, and don't intend to do it.

So there's your answer.

Be fat, and accept that you're overweight, and eating your way to a slow painful death.

Problem solved.
I have tried that mental way of thinking and it doesn't help me, either.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This may turn out to be true except the "slow painful death part" (kind of melodramatic and not necessarily associated with being overweight) and the "problem solved" part.

The problem isn't solved either (hers or yours) way. It's a problem to be overweight and it's a problem to feel hungry and deprived.

Agreed.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
No, I eat all whole grains, fruit, fresh fish several times a week, eggs, chicken - and all the "bad" stuff, too.
Quote:
I do not exercise per se, but know I should, am on my feet a lot (care for rescued cats and kittens all day long), make all meals from scratch, organic: Typical dish: organic whole grain rice, fresh carrots, canned whole tomatoes, organic onions, organic green peppers, organic chicken in a cassarole, or: fresh wild salmon, 1/2 organic yam, organic broccoli - but I am trying to tell ya that on top of that I eat all the ice cream cake cookies bread - all of it and crave it, too. Don't even have to eat that stuff, can just eat too much "healthy" food and can't stand to eat less. It's awful!

I cannot do much by way of exercise re: fast walking. Joined a national gym and the stupid trainer whom I paid privately there busted the cartilage in my knee 10 years ago, this is the truth, and now I cannot use stairs, cannot use treadmill, bike, etc. cannot walk fast, swimming pool is too far a drive.

I can walk moderately and should walk but don't do it as much as I should and am bored to death anyway.
It sounds like you have to gradually withdraw from the sugar and baked goods. You have to wean yourself off of that stuff. The more ice cream, cake, etc you eat the more you'll want. You don't have to cut it out completely, but you'll have to find a way to eat less.

If you usually buy pints or half gallons of ice cream, switch to those mini cups. Buy one at a time. If you usually buy a package of cookies, switch to buying just one cookie in the bakery section of the grocery store.

Quote:
Don't like your post. I don't woof it down, you said that, not me. I am not addicted to sugar, never add salt to my food and use food with no preservatives.
Are you sure that you're not addicted to sugar? How many days can you go without sugar or artificial sweeteners?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Losing weight is not easy. It is hard. Sacrifices need to be made. In fact a whole new outlook on ones health needs to be adopted. Most people do not want to do that. Half assed attempts at weight loss will result in failure. When one is really ready to lose weight, and I mean really ready they will lose weight. A lot of people will never be ready so they will attempt and fail. They will make excuses and use words like 'cant' or 'won't.
I do not mean to insult anyone by this. I am just stating what it takes to lose weight. Once a person is ready to make the commitment with no excuses they will lose weight. Ask any former overweight person who has maintained their loss how they did it. The word easy will never come up. And if it does they are lying.
I like your post except the "half assed attempts" part. I put my whole heart and soul into doing WW and "failed" over and over.

But I also agree that there has to be some inner reason why one must want to do it. However, Lucky, just like cigarette smokers (my husband attends an award winning, science and research based Stop Smoking group support + nicotine supplements program and I attended the entire training with him), this issue of when one is "ready" is very difficult to tackle. The reality is that these people in the program EVERY ONE TO A PERSON had had traumatic warnings via health crisis and ONLY THEN were they willing to stop smoking, but they still need this program desperately and depend upon it to keep off cigarettes.

It is not just a matter of "deciding" you want to lose weight: You have to have something to kick start that will and I don't want to be thought of as simply making excuses, etc., even thought I DO make excuses, but it's just not that simple.

One thing you wrote, however, that is really important, is how it is not easy and no formerly overweight person who lost and is maintaining the loss will ever use the word "easy". I think you are hitting on something that rings a bell for me. I want not to suffer continuously, having to "deprive" myself (delusional, I know) of food and feeling "stuffed" and "comforted" with feeling "full" most of the time.

This is my problem, as written just above. Now, I don't know how to want to do what is not "easy".

Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 AM

<<Are you sure that you're not addicted to sugar? How many days can you go without sugar or artificial sweeteners?>>

Hmm, maybe I am. Bread converts to sugars, doesn't it?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Your problem is that you don't wanna. Your mentality and approach to a healthy lifestyle is that of a petulant child.

Mom: Eat your salad.
You: I don't wanna.
Mom: You can't have dessert.
You: But I wanna. (while you go into the freezer and pull out another ice cream sandwich).
Mom: Eat only healthy food.
Mom: Live without half the starches that you have now.

This is what children do when they defy their parents. It's not what adults do when they're trying to place themselves in the best possible position they can be.

Do the adult thing, suck it up, accept that sometimes in life, you gotta do things you don't wanna do, and that sometimes, you won't even suffer when you do it, unless you CHOOSE to convince yourself it's suffering.

It's all on you. You are responsible for your health. Take responsibility, or stop complaining that it's not working out so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss