Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,531,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Perhaps you should talk to your doctor and inquire about the recently approved weight loss drug called Qsymia, which helps
suppress the appetite and helps make people feel more satisfied after eating.
I know some people have issues with taking a pill for anything, but if it helps, why not.
Maybe I am wrong, but I am leary of using medication. I like "au naturel" <ggg>.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one addresses it in weight loss, because it's a mind issue not a weight issue. Your feelings and emotional needs/wants, and the ability or lack thereof, to seperate them from your physiological requirements, is a matter for the mental health forum.

The question doesn't belong here, because it has nothing to do with weight. It has everything to do with mental health.

In that case, Anon, 90% of overweight people need to write not here, but in the mental health forum. See, I don't look at it that way: I know what you are saying but do not agree with you.

Also, so long as I keep my mouth shut about my feelings re: eating too much, I can stay here, but it seems taboo to discuss the feelings part here, at least for some posters here. And that is their problem, as far as I am concerned, not mine.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,860,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
In that case, Anon, 90% of overweight people need to write not here, but in the mental health forum. See, I don't look at it that way: I know what you are saying but do not agree with you.

Also, so long as I keep my mouth shut about my feelings re: eating too much, I can stay here, but it seems taboo to discuss the feelings part here, at least for some posters here. And that is their problem, as far as I am concerned, not mine.
So how is your perspective working out for you? You want advice, you post, people give advice. You claim that you are a compulsive overeater (that is the term for what you describe). Compulsive overeating is not a weight loss problem. It's a mental health problem. There are actually compulsive overeaters who are NOT overweight, because they compensate for the overeating with ridiculous amounts of exercise. And then there are people like you, who overeat, KNOW you overeat, reject the limited physical exercise you *can* do, get fat, and complain that you're fat and that you overeat.

That isn't a weight loss problem. It's a mental health problem. If it were a weight loss problem, you would be attempting to lose weight. You haven't taken the "I want to lose weight" seriously enough for anyone to take you all that seriously yet. Giving up WW after a month, 9 times in a row, is not a serious attempt to lose weight. It's an emotional cry for help.

And so - seek help in the forum where you are most likely to get the help you want. Unless of course you're not serious about that either.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,860,492 times
Quote:
Maybe I am wrong, but I am leary of using medication. I like "au naturel" <ggg>.
No, you don't like "au naturel" <ggg>. If you did, then you would not have posted this:

Quote:
on top of that I eat all the ice cream cake cookies bread - all of it and crave it, too.
Since - ice cream cake cookies bread are not "au naturel."

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM

896 posts, read 1,403,931 times
Quote:

I am glad somebody had the balls to tell this woman off. Her know it all unfeeling attitude is just too much.
Also the mental questions of why a person eats or overeats is major factor and weight loss and keeping it off. The emotional mental area is what is in missing the industry. There is a whole mental plague and underlying mental issues going on with Americans, overworking and not being balanced.
Also the packaged food that is marketed to us is addictive and does effect our sensory processes, neurotransmitters, and leads us to more food. The mental and physical are intergrated and can not be separated. This is why food manufactures add things and crap to fast food, packaged foods and other garbage. Once a person starts eating real food, they will realize how much they are eating is garbage and it is not just affecting their bodies but also their brain, hormones and other body processes.

This is why it is important to eat as much real food as possible. Look at other nations. They do not have all this low fat, low carb trends and craze, but Americans are still the heaviest in the world.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
So how is your perspective working out for you? You want advice, you post, people give advice. You claim that you are a compulsive overeater (that is the term for what you describe). Compulsive overeating is not a weight loss problem. It's a mental health problem. There are actually compulsive overeaters who are NOT overweight, because they compensate for the overeating with ridiculous amounts of exercise. And then there are people like you, who overeat, KNOW you overeat, reject the limited physical exercise you *can* do, get fat, and complain that you're fat and that you overeat.

That isn't a weight loss problem. It's a mental health problem. If it were a weight loss problem, you would be attempting to lose weight. You haven't taken the "I want to lose weight" seriously enough for anyone to take you all that seriously yet. Giving up WW after a month, 9 times in a row, is not a serious attempt to lose weight. It's an emotional cry for help.

And so - seek help in the forum where you are most likely to get the help you want. Unless of course you're not serious about that either.

Dear Anon,

I have advice for you, now. Go to grad school and get your MSW in clinical social work, like I did, many years ago, and work in a mental health clinic, like I did, and you can then have a chance to analyze all the people you ever wanted to! <gg> This seems, from your posts, to be your passion, so I say, "Go for it!" Don't deny yourself <gg>!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No, you don't like "au naturel" <ggg>. If you did, then you would not have posted this:

Since - ice cream cake cookies bread are not "au naturel."
Duh, but you forgot this: I never said it was good to eat all that stuff, did I?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM

896 posts, read 1,403,931 times
Quote:
Duh, but you forgot this: I never said it was good to eat all that stuff, did I?
Martha Anne do not respond to her. Anon Chick gets off on bullying people. She did it me. Just put the ignore button on and work on you.

She acts like she one of these perfect people with no emotion, never does wrong holier than thou attitude. This is probably her first ever real weight loss attempt with success. I had a somewhat similar attitude when I first lost weight successfully and thought it would be like this forever and for some people it is, and I say to those people congratulations.

But weight loss and maintaining like everything else just is not that black and white. What is working for me is when I have negative self talk. I try to talk myself out of this. Just saying things like I do not have to be perfect. The number of the scale does not define you. These things have help me not go on food binges and kept my weight steady and have lost 2-3 lbs in the process. This is even harder with my health problems, but I try to work though them day by day.

I would also try mindful eating. It is website and message board that help me with many tips.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,919,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post

She acts like she one of these perfect people with no emotion, never does wrong holier than thou attitude. This is probably her first ever real weight loss attempt with success.
Or it could be that she doesn't have a challenge to keep the weight off. Some people who don't have that challenge might not understand how difficult it is for people with that challenge. It's easy (and 100% technically correct) to simply say "Don't eat so much and you won't be fat" or "Have some will power..". All completely correct. It's like me (non smoker) projecting my non desire for a cigarette to a chain smoker: "I don't want a cigarette so therefore you shouldn't want one. Just stop smoking, it's easy - see, I don't want one, look how easy it is. You just need to make a wise choice like I am making not to smoke."

Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Or it could be that she doesn't have a challenge to keep the weight off. Some people who don't have that challenge might not understand how difficult it is for people with that challenge. It's easy (and 100% technically correct) to simply say "Don't eat so much and you won't be fat" or "Have some will power..". All completely correct. It's like me (non smoker) projecting my non desire for a cigarette to a chain smoker: "I don't want a cigarette so therefore you shouldn't want one. Just stop smoking, it's easy - see, I don't want one, look how easy it is. You just need to make a wise choice like I am making not to smoke."
This is how I feel, Charles. People are all different. I smoked to look cool for a year and never craved cigarettes and never had to struggle with that addiction. Not my issue: Food is, instead.

I think a lot of this is physiological: Food, cigarettes, etc. and it depends upon the person's make up what they are going to "need".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss