Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,791 times

Advertisements

[quote=jerseygal4u;27277853]My thing with the OP is that she said the advice was useless advice.
No one was rude up for the first 4 pages.

(Talking behind Jerseygal's back, putting my hand up to my mouth): Pssst! Don't you think Jersey Girl is rude writing about me instead of speaking directly to me, when I am "standing" right there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
There is one thing that I do believe, and it is this: No researcher into the problem of obesity would put moral character in the forefront of their discussion of the cause and treatment of obesity. I find your post to be lacking in depth and sympathy, and probably useless to most people who want to lose weight.
I agree that losing weight is NOT a question of moral character. No argument there. However, it is very much a mindset and a decision that you make every day and sometimes every hour. You make decisions when you're at the grocery store, when you're at home and when you're going out to eat. Once you decide that you're going to lose weight, it's truly not very difficult.
You decide: I can drink a coke or I can drink water.
You decide: I can eat waffles, syrup, sausage and orange juice, or I can eat two scrambled eggs, toast with a bit of butter and coffee.
You decide: I can eat a cheeseburger, fries and a shake, or I can eat a big salad with some turkey on top and 2 tablespoons of dressing.

Once you have made a conscious decision, the results come fairly quickly. You don't have to be hungry all the time and you don't have to forego any real pleasure. You just make the most reasonable decision given the circumstances.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Losing weight is a mental game. Until your head is in the game 100% trying to lose weight is pointless. Now is it easy to get your head in the game? NO! Its THE hardest part about trying to lose weight. The key is to find your motivation, and once you truly find your motivation your head will be in the game. And once it is there, its really not difficult. Its just persistence to meet your goal.
A lot of people set up a challenge to boost their motivation. Sign up for a walkathon, or a 5k, or something of that nature. I loved WW because I needed them to weigh me every week. Of course I could weigh myself, but I am not all that accountable when it comes to that. But when others weigh me and then write it down in a book, now thats motivation. And to look at that book over the weeks and see the real progress that you are making. That helped me a lot.
The beauty is now I can eat what I like in moderation of course. But I exercise a lot. I have learned to LOVE exercise.
Diet and exercise need to go hand in hand when attempting to lose weight. Start small and then go from there.
Get your head in the game. Do not use words like 'cant' or 'wont', learn to choose foods that are filling, practice portion control, and move your body.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 AM

151 posts, read 183,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My thing with the OP is that she said the advice was useless advice.
No one was rude up for the first 4 pages.
That is exactly what happened. Sorry you are being attacked again. The OP is getting back the same attitude she is giving to other posters.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 AM

151 posts, read 183,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

(Talking behind Jerseygal's back, putting my hand up to my mouth): Pssst! Don't you think Jersey Girl is rude writing about me instead of speaking directly to me, when I am "standing" right there?
No she is not. She was responding to another poster. You may be the OP but you don't own the forum, not even the thread. People can still talk to each other, even if it is about YOU.

If you want to be treated nicely then start by leaving behind expressions like "useless" and "I I Know it all. We are posters here not mind readers. Those people had no way to know what you know and what you don't know. If you continue with that bad attitude people will just mirror your attitude and call your question USELESS"

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
My husband works in the fitness industry and is in great shape. He thinks CrossFit is fun...the weirdo. When I gained weight he would be sweet as can be and try to get me to cook healthier meals, talk about nutrition, try to go on walks together etc. He lost his patience with me once or twice during those years because he just couldn't understand how I was doing this to my body. I ate like crap anyway, even though I knew he was right.

One Sunday my husband and I took our kids on a walk at a park near our home. While we were there a friend ran by us on her daily run. She has 5 kids(!) and is a few years older than I am and she RAN by me while I was huffing and puffing down the trail after my two kids. That was the turning point for me. I have no idea why she made a huge impact while my awesome husband never did but it was the hinge that got me to that same trail for a walk the next day and started me on a path to getting in better shape and losing weight.

I really believe that we can all post here about what to do and how to do it but until you have had that moment it doesn't really mean anything. Its your decision and no one else can push into it or make it easier. The best of luck, truly.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
My husband works in the fitness industry and is in great shape. He thinks CrossFit is fun...the weirdo. When I gained weight he would be sweet as can be and try to get me to cook healthier meals, talk about nutrition, try to go on walks together etc. He lost his patience with me once or twice during those years because he just couldn't understand how I was doing this to my body. I ate like crap anyway, even though I knew he was right.

One Sunday my husband and I took our kids on a walk at a park near our home. While we were there a friend ran by us on her daily run. She has 5 kids(!) and is a few years older than I am and she RAN by me while I was huffing and puffing down the trail after my two kids. That was the turning point for me. I have no idea why she made a huge impact while my awesome husband never did but it was the hinge that got me to that same trail for a walk the next day and started me on a path to getting in better shape and losing weight.

I really believe that we can all post here about what to do and how to do it but until you have had that moment it doesn't really mean anything. Its your decision and no one else can push into it or make it easier. The best of luck, truly.
This is so true. Until the epiphany happens from within, it really does not matter what you do. When it does happen, there really are no more excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss