Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,603,323 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by LittleDolphin
I learned it takes a couple of weeks to replace a habit. Start with trying a low-carb (meaning low-nutritive, white flour products) and low white sugar/high-fructose day.

Maybe a veggie omelet with a banana for breakfast. Or a bowl of oatmeal with berries and honey.

A salad with chicken or fish--or nuts such as walnuts--and an apple for lunch.

Dinner? A protein dense soup such as lentil or bean or a chili (with meat or not) with some grated cheese. Add a favorite vegetable as a side dish. Maybe some cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit and some honey for dessert or snack.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prove to yourself that you can survive--and not feel hungry--with eating good carbs and low sugar. Do this day by day until your urges disappear--and they will--and you've broken your addiction.

I think this is the way i want to go and a way I can live. Already within the past few days, I have been trying out this theory - putting in nutritional things rather than bad things. (i pretty much know what is a "bad" food like candy for me). Every time I go choose some lunch item, I choose between a piece of cake vs a fruit cup. (no i just did not have a fruit cup only for lunch) .... actually the fruit cup was satisfying, now i am starting to look at desserts like cake in a new way like the way you'd look at a tub full of dirty water, vs a tub full of clean water). I think this might actually work! today I got a salad and even though it was not the best salad because i had 2 servings of dressing, but yet its a start becaue i often choose worse things like a huge cheesy beef and fries and coke.

by the way i am reading all your comments and gleaning the helpful thigns from it.. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Well good for you! Making up your mind is half the battle, isn't it? Holiday time can be quite a challenge...so far I'm fighting off the Christmas cookies and such but with parties still to come, I hope my will remains strong. But I'm not going to beat myself up over a couple of cups of eggnog, either. After the holidays, it's back to eating the low-bad carb way and business as usual.

BTW, an easy and yummy home-made salad dressing consists of brown mustard, Balsamic or Red Wine vinegar and honey in equal parts--mix together to blend...you can add in black pepper or Italian seasonings, too, if you like. It really is tasty.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,603,323 times
Hi all and thank you for the input! I'm beginning to make little changes.. next week i shall attack my morning muffin and coffee which is my addiction, it will be oatmeal with pecans in it. one thing atta time yes i know i could do it this week, but i have decided it will be next week.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Cold turkey. I have done it. Lost a lot of weight. Whenever I wanted a carb, I ate a hard boiled egg. And I allowed one "cheat" meal a week. That was it.
This is me too! Once you get off the carbs and out of the blood sugar up/down cycle they cause, I found it was much easier to stick to my plan. Also, you can replace hard-boiled egg with any nutritive low-carb treat, just focus on what you CAN have rather than what you can't, which really helps me in the mental aspect.

My best friend has gotten much help at Overeaters Anonymous, and I would not hesitate to go there if I needed help.

As other posters mentioned, I cleared the junk out of the house and set a date and "went for it." I had quit smoking some years ago and knew this would be similar. I cut the carbs extremely low, a la Atkins induction, so my body would be forced to detox, and I suspected I would lose some water weight (I did) which helped satisfy that 'ol need for 'instant gratification.'

Good luck with finding something that works and sticking to it. I'm down 50 lb and a BUNCH of inches/dress sizes and feel great. Started exercising more and more and love that too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss