Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM

525 posts, read 761,093 times

Advertisements

Dr. Esselstyn cannot claim to have reversed atherosclerosis because the TOOLS in which he used MISS A TON. You can have no narrowing BUT A VERY DISEASED ARTERY WALL FULL OF PLAQUE AND READY TO RUPTURE LIKE JIM FIXX.

This is not Dr. Esselstyn's fault as IVUS was not around back then.

However, DO ANOTHER STUDY. PUT THEM THROUGH AN IVUS. SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

THUS FAR, NO DIET HAS BEEN SHOWN TO REVERSE HEART DISEASE.

I would love to have this study done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You repeatedly sound like someone who went off his meds.....
If you want people to listen, please adjust your method of communication.
You don't say? Do you suggest I write in all caps and in bold....would that help?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You don't say? Do you suggest I write in all caps and in bold....would that help?
I will allow a 25% allowance for bold, must use correct capitalization, and not to exceed 10% underlining.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think it's important to note that there's a difference between dietary cholesterol and blood (serum) cholesterol. It was believed, for some time, that because eggs are high in dietary cholesterol, then you should avoid eating them because they'd increase your serum cholesterol levels. However, this is untrue. Eggs -are- high in cholesterol. But eating a few eggs every week won't raise your cholesterol level. Diets that are high in "bad" fat (such as lard and margarine) and carbohydrates (in particular foods loaded with both starch and sugar, such as cookies, cake, donuts), however, will raise your cholesterol level. So - lean meats - not going to raise your cholesterol level. Fatty meats will. A few strawberries - won't. Strawberry cream pie with whipped cream and a graham cracker crust - will.
Fatty meats, at least when low carbs are consumed, do not raise your cholesterol, at least the bad kind. I eat plenty of red meat, bacon and eggs and my LDL cholesterol dropped when I cut carbs. My HDL cholesterol increased. My overall cholesterol is within the normal range (however meaningless that is).

Here's a small study showing this:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-hdl051112.php

Last edited by MUTGR; 01-01-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM

525 posts, read 761,093 times
Plaques ONLY develop in areas of arterial weakening and damage. They do not develop willy nilly or uniformly. This is a clue.

SMOKING,elevated blood pressure and elevated blood sugar appear to be directly involved in this damage and INITIATORS. There are more damagining initiators yet to be discovered.

Look at the damage elevated blood sugar does to the vessels of the extremeties in diabetics. These people lose their feet. Imagine the damage it is doing to the coronary arteries.

Cholesterol levels are THE GREAT RED HERRING.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Fatty meats, at least when low carbs are consumed, do not raise your cholesterol, at least the bad kind. I eat plenty of red meat, bacon and eggs and my LDL cholesterol dropped when I cut carbs. My HDL cholesterol increased. My overall cholesterol is within the normal range (however meaningless that is).
That is pretty much what you'd expect though, HDL is essentially a cholesterol garage collector so you'd expect it to increase with increased consumption of high cholesterol foods. So while its good that your body has increased its HDL to remove the additional cholesterol (the situation would be worse if that didn't happen), that doesn't mean this diet has having a positive effect on your heart health....its not.

When you eat a very low-fat diet the opposite happens, your HDL drops, but that isn't a negative sign......there is just less cholesterol in your blood to remove.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You repeatedly sound like someone who went off his meds.....

If you want people to listen, please adjust your method of communication.
Are you sure you quoted the right person?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,839 times
Purely anecdotal evidence, but my personal story (and I know many with similar experiences):

I used to have triglycerides of 250, LDL literally at the highest value of "normal," and very low HDL. I did some reading and decided to cut CARBS out of my life, not dietary cholesterol nor dietary fat. I typically eat such that at least 65% of my daily calories (often more) come from fat (including lots of dairy, meat, eggs, etc...I use heavy cream, eat lots of cheese, and buy the fattiest cuts of meats I can find) with about 5-10% of my calories coming from carbs. For more than a year now, my total cholesterol has been hanging out between 100-115, and my triglycerides have not seen triple digits.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Purely anecdotal evidence, but my personal story (and I know many with similar experiences):

I used to have triglycerides of 250, LDL literally at the highest value of "normal," and very low HDL. I did some reading and decided to cut CARBS out of my life, not dietary cholesterol nor dietary fat. I typically eat such that at least 65% of my daily calories (often more) come from fat (including lots of dairy, meat, eggs, etc...I use heavy cream, eat lots of cheese, and buy the fattiest cuts of meats I can find) with about 5-10% of my calories coming from carbs. For more than a year now, my total cholesterol has been hanging out between 100-115, and my triglycerides have not seen triple digits.
It doesn't count because you are not part of a peer reviewed study published by a respected scientist.

Just kidding. I'm having similar results. After a year of more or less faithfully low-carbing it, I was down 33 pounds, Triglycerides (fasting) was 76. My total cholesterol was higher than yours, but still well within the "normal" range.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
That is pretty much what you'd expect though, HDL is essentially a cholesterol garage collector so you'd expect it to increase with increased consumption of high cholesterol foods. So while its good that your body has increased its HDL to remove the additional cholesterol (the situation would be worse if that didn't happen), that doesn't mean this diet has having a positive effect on your heart health....its not.

When you eat a very low-fat diet the opposite happens, your HDL drops, but that isn't a negative sign......there is just less cholesterol in your blood to remove.
I feel sorry for people that still buy into the low-fat paradigm. When you give up being a vegetarian, as most ultimately do (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ck-eating-meat ), I strongly encourage you to consider a low carb way of eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss