Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times

Advertisements

Years ago I went to a hypnotist and he asked me to choose a food for which I would like to lose all craving. I was in grad school at the time and I had a terrible habit of eating chocolate chip cookie dough when I was stressed out before exams. He did the hypnosis session and I paid him, then I drove straight to the grocery store, bought a tub of cookie dough, went home, and ate the entire thing. I felt like a total loser!

More recently, I tried the Tom Nicoli tapes after seeing them on a news show but I don't think self hypnosis is for me. Lots of people recommend him, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
I have used hypnosis and tapes - sad to say they are only temporary fixes. After many years I have learned 4 things about losing weight 1) it needs to come from within and 2) selecting the right foods 3) portion control 4) exercise. Good luck and save your money.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,170,377 times
Apparently, some people don't understand hypnosis very well and how it actually works. It DOES work, if you want it to work. I've been a hypnotherapist for the past 3 years (as well as a psychotherapist). I wish people would not reply to topics when they have no knowledge. Leave it to the professionals.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Apparently, some people don't understand hypnosis very well and how it actually works. It DOES work, if you want it to work. I've been a hypnotherapist for the past 3 years (as well as a psychotherapist). I wish people would not reply to topics when they have no knowledge. Leave it to the professionals.
Besides having a cookie dough addiction, I also have a Ph.D. in a social science. This is from the July 2001 issue of Scientific American:

"When used as a primary treatment method, hypnosis has proven to be ineffective in the treatment of addiction and other mental disorders. Hypnosis, however, can improve the effectiveness of cognitive therapy and certain techniques can be useful in resolving specific problems related to recovery from addiction and other mental disorders."

Effectiveness is NOT solely dependent on patient motivation...there are a host of other variables involved. It is completely simplistic and wrong to say with a blanket statement, "It DOES work." And the ethical code of all helping professions mandate that effectiveness statements be qualified...if I simply said something "works" without qualification, I could be reported to the Board that licenses my profession.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 PM

32 posts, read 119,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Besides having a cookie dough addiction, I also have a Ph.D. in a social science. This is from the July 2001 issue of Scientific American:

"When used as a primary treatment method, hypnosis has proven to be ineffective in the treatment of addiction and other mental disorders. Hypnosis, however, can improve the effectiveness of cognitive therapy and certain techniques can be useful in resolving specific problems related to recovery from addiction and other mental disorders."

Effectiveness is NOT solely dependent on patient motivation...there are a host of other variables involved. It is completely simplistic and wrong to say with a blanket statement, "It DOES work." And the ethical code of all helping professions mandate that effectiveness statements be qualified...if I simply said something "works" without qualification, I could be reported to the Board that licenses my profession.
Your will power is important in weight loss, as well as in other things. Hypnosis changes your sub-concious so you have more will power to change your bad habit. When someone says it works and others not, it's all about their will power and resolve when trying to do things challenging.

You may not need a PhD degree to understand this, but here is a great book I read, reviewed by a blog:

Cheap Weight Loss, My Way » hypnosis weight loss (http://weightlosscheap.com/weightloss/hypnosis-weight-loss/ - broken link)

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I did that, once. I was so psyched about it and just knew it would work. Even when registering they said I could go to any of their sessions IF I kept my original receipt.

Well, it was neat....but didn't work. In the middle and at the end Vitamins and such were sold.

They came back to town a few months later and I did keep my receipt...just wasn't worth my time.
Heh heh, you must have gone to the same seminar I did. I'm not sure if they ever came back to my town, but it was not worth going back anyway. I think if I were to try it again, I'd go to a local reputable practitioner. A couple ladies I work with quit smoking using a local hypnotist.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM

32 posts, read 119,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laji01 View Post
Your will power is important in weight loss, as well as in other things. Hypnosis changes your sub-concious so you have more will power to change your bad habit. When someone says it works and others not, it's all about their will power and resolve when trying to do things challenging.

You may not need a PhD degree to understand this, but here is a great book I read, reviewed by a blog:

Cheap Weight Loss, My Way » hypnosis weight loss (http://weightlosscheap.com/weightloss/hypnosis-weight-loss/ - broken link)

Actually here is the link to that review:

Cheap Weight Loss, My Way » Blog Archive » Hypnosis Weight Loss Book Review: Real World Hypnosis (http://weightlosscheap.com/2008/09/17/hypnosis-weight-loss-book-review-real-world-hypnosis/ - broken link)

Wish you all good luck with hypnosis weight loss program!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I did that, once. I was so psyched about it and just knew it would work. Even when registering they said I could go to any of their sessions IF I kept my original receipt.

Well, it was neat....but didn't work. In the middle and at the end Vitamins and such were sold.

They came back to town a few months later and I did keep my receipt...just wasn't worth my time.
Sounds like the same group hypnosis thing I tried years ago. Didn't work at all. I also tried tapes but they didn't work either.

However, I've seen ads for a local hypnosis center where you get one-on-one hypnosis. An acquaintance lost about 70 lb and has kept it off for 4 or 5 years now. I'm not sure if she keeps going back, or if she's "cured."

Anyone have any experience with one-on-one hypnosis?

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM

270 posts, read 488,368 times
I tried hypnosis this year for weight loss, 1 on 1. The hypnosis coach was fabulous and helped me work through some of my food issues stemming from childhood. I know that I was hypnotized, but other than feeling like I released some of my past, nothing else really changed. However, the more I read about weight loss and attitude, I think I really didn't "believe" enough. Sounds a bit nutty, I know, but I don't think that I ever believed that ANYTHING would work for me to lose weight (I'm working on that belief now actually), so maybe with a different attitude, I could have had better results.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I tried hypnosis this year for weight loss, 1 on 1. The hypnosis coach was fabulous and helped me work through some of my food issues stemming from childhood. I know that I was hypnotized, but other than feeling like I released some of my past, nothing else really changed. However, the more I read about weight loss and attitude, I think I really didn't "believe" enough. Sounds a bit nutty, I know, but I don't think that I ever believed that ANYTHING would work for me to lose weight (I'm working on that belief now actually), so maybe with a different attitude, I could have had better results.
It sounds like you're dealing with several things, and looking to treat them with the same treatment.

1. You have childhood issues.
2. You have food issues.
3. You have a weight problem.

The first, is clearly psychological.
The second, is probably a combination of psychological, and brain chemistry.
The third is clearly physiological.

You can't treat all three with hypnosis, and you can't treat all three with willpower, and you can't treat all three with the right attitude.

The first - should be addressed with a therapist.
The second should be addressed with a combination of therapy, willpower, and possibly medication (but not necessarily)
The third should be addressed with eating healthy foods in modest portions and exercise.

Hypnotism can aid in all three, but it can't solve any of the three. Hypnotism's role in weight loss is as an adjunct to allopathy. It gives you the mental boost you might need to get things done. It allows you to open your mind up to the possibilities of success. It can't magickally change your attitude from a "I can't do this" to a "I not only can, but I am doing this."

Your weight problem, in your case (since you've already had it pointed out personally), is a symptom of an underlying trauma from childhood. You can -still- treat the symptoms while working on the trauma. But diet and exercise won't treat your food issues. It will treat your weight. You'll still have issues, and they will still need to be addressed and resolved. Otherwise, you'll just gain it all back once you've reached your target weight goal and stop dieting.

So for someone like you, you'd need an actually planned diet (such as weight watchers, or even Atkins or Paleo - anything that has specific rules and menus that you can follow), combined with therapy to help you resolve your emotional issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss