Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM

525 posts, read 761,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Please do not feed the troll Rick Santos. Put him on ignore and save yourself arguing with a crazy person.

You REFUSE to accept science . You CHOOSE YOUR OWN BELIEFS instead.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
It sounds to me that this person has found what works for him and he thinks thats the way to go for everyone.. Kinda like a person who has just found salvation in Jesus Christ and wants to tell the whole world.

However, it is bad for him to declare what he did. Because that just gives a depressing word to people who want to lose weight. It is also not true for all the ones who have lost weight their way.

I would never tell someone who is trying to lose weight - if they are doing it in a generally acceptable safe way - i.e. most people believe that less calories will enable one to lose weight.

This is bad advice as the personal trainer from my local gym just about broke my heart when this trainer told me all my daily walking to work rather than take the bus (4 mile trip) was all for nothing. You know how disheartening that is to hear?

so **** to people like the OP who writes such blather.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
It sounds to me that this person has found what works for him and he thinks thats the way to go for everyone.. Kinda like a person who has just found salvation in Jesus Christ and wants to tell the whole world.

However, it is bad for him to declare what he did. Because that just gives a depressing word to people who want to lose weight. It is also not true for all the ones who have lost weight their way.

I would never tell someone who is trying to lose weight - if they are doing it in a generally acceptable safe way - i.e. most people believe that less calories will enable one to lose weight.

This is bad advice as the personal trainer from my local gym just about broke my heart when this trainer told me all my daily walking to work rather than take the bus (4 mile trip) was all for nothing. You know how disheartening that is to hear?

so **** to people like the OP who writes such blather.

YOU REFUSTE TO ACCEPT SCIENCE

The NEWS IS NOT GOOD. I am being REALISTIC.

ASK DR. LIEBEL. THIS IS THE SITUATION. **** TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU GIVING FALSE HOPE.

OBESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE INFROMED ABOUT WHAT SCIENCE HAS DEMONSTRATED THUS FAR ABOUT THEIR SITUATION.

IT IS HELLISHLY COMPLEX AND A CURE IS NOWHERE NEAR.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
There is no massive increase.

7 pounds moe today than in 1990

WATCH DR. FRIEDMAN'S LECTURES. I AM TIRED OF TYPING THIS OVER AND OVER AND TYPING THE SAME POINTS.
Evidently you are not tired of typing this over and over, b/c you keep typing it over and over.

Here's the thing: you think you and your doc friend have all the answers.

Okay.

We got the message.

So now what do any of us do with this info?

Worshipping at the altar of any scientist or weight loss guru isn't doing a damn thing with helping folks control their weight issues.

Essentially, what you are advocating is . . . NOTHING. You are saying . . . "there is nothing that can be done."

Well, that was helpful.

(Pass me another helping of fried chicken, please, cause it doesn't matter what I eat anyway).

Yep. Thanks for all the really helpful info. Too bad none of it makes a damn.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
evidently you are not tired of typing this over and over, b/c you keep typing it over and over.

Here's the thing: You think you and your doc friend have all the answers.

Okay.

We got the message.

Next?

MOST members on here were RUDE TO ME- first.

I am not hostile. MOST of you have given me crap since september posting this. I RESPONDED .

none of you are educated about this.

Last edited by RickSantos; 01-31-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
all of you are rude. I am not hostile. All of you have given me crap since september posting this.

none of you are educated about this.

Rude?

I am a professional writer and have been writing articles (published, not blog stuff, altho I do blog) on the subject of healthy eating and weight loss for over 30 years now.

I am fully aware and educated about the topic.

You seem to enjoy telling us all we are uneducated about weight control and set point. That is your message. "Everyone is ignorant."

We got the message. You think we are all ignorant.

Have you ever considered that there are millions who agree with you . . . that weight issues are genetic?

But here's the rub, my friend. Armed with that bit of info . . . where does it get us all with weight control issues?

What changes in behavior can occur once we all agree that our weight is a biologic, genetic issue?

What are you bringing to the table, so to speak, other than "you are the size you are b/c of genetics."

?????

It appears your message is simply . . . GIVE UP, folks. No use dieting. You are the size you are b/c of your genetics.

Well, thanks for the news flash.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 53,350 times
I did not read the Articles,but what I do know is that calories in Vs. calories out DOES NOT work for everyone.I remember going to Weight watchers and I was not losing any weight after the first 2 weeks.My "leader" took a look at my food diary and stated that I MUST be Lying or not measuring my food Correctly because I would be losing weight if my Diary were correct.This was the beginning of my search for answers because I was weighing and measuring EVERYTHING..even the Romaine lettuce!!! I went to the Dr. that I had at the time and she too,told me that I must be eating something else.My Dr. ran all the basic tests and said that I was fine.

It took YEARS of my own research,self experiments,and a Endocrinoligist to finally lose some weight.

I was extremely Insulin resistant.Eating the standard healthy diet would not work for me...Heck,even my friends would look at how I was eating and wonder why I was fat,one of them thought that I was having secret binges at night lol!

My Current Dr. told me that more Americans are becoming Insulin Resistant because the quality of our food has changed,we are getting less daily movement to burn off the incoming Carbs,and the Food companies took the fat out of the food and replaced it with Sugar...Fat does not cause an Insulin Spike.

My point is,we can't always go by what the media is telling us.We have to find our own truths.Remember 10-15 years ago Eggs and nuts were the enemy..Now they are 'wonder foods."

But,just as I now KNOW that Carbs/Sugar is havoc for my bidy,I can't tell someone else to cut them out of their diets because we are all different.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM

YES, RUDE. I never mentioned YOU. Why are YOU chiming in? It was MANY OTHERS.

The message from SCIENCE is: that when it comes to WEIGHT, THE BODY HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN.

Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, Dr. Douglas Coleman, Dr. Linda Bacon, Dr. Rudolph Liebel, Dr. Michael Rosenbaum ALL ADMIT THIS AND HAVE SAID SO. They will CONFIRM THIS.

What shoud the obese do until a cure (or effective treatment) is found ?

*Eat a heart healthful diet

*Move around a lot

* Do your best to be 5 pounds less ( or lower end of biological setpoint)

Which is the SAME ADVICE EVERYBODY GETS.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
YES, RUDE. I never mentioned YOU. Why are YOU chiming in? It was MANY OTHERS.

The message from SCIENCE is: that when it comes to WEIGHT, THE BODY HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN.

Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, Dr. Douglas Coleman, Dr. Linda Bacon, Dr. Rudolph Liebel, Dr. Michael Rosenbaum ALL ADMIT THIS AND HAVE SAID SO. They will CONFIRM THIS.

What shoud the obese do until a cure (or effective treatment) is found ?

*Eat a heart healthful diet

*Move around a lot

* Do your best to be 5 pounds less ( or lower end of biological setpoint)

Which is the SAME ADVICE EVERYBODY GETS.
Um, seeing as how you quoted my post b/f calling ME "rude," I believe yes, you did mention me, and quite directly.

So your advice is to:

Eat a heart healthful diet
Move around a lot
Do your best to be at 5 pounds or less of one's biological set point

Okie dokie then.

I am sure everyone's life will be significantly changed by these "revolutionary" insights on eating healthy, moving around and keeping one's weight around 5 lbs of one's set point.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM

I UNDERSTAND completely that it is not much. However, this advice is the ONLY thing available currently.

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBYYfKM2ZY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.