Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

178 posts, read 356,529 times

Advertisements

I am not surprised after reading that research material. There lived a southren family in our neighbours, all the time they have fried foods in their menu. They used heaps of organ meat. They nearly drink the sweetened tea thrice a day. on my way back to home from gym in evening they all were sitting in their lawn having tea and loads of bakery items and fried food (daily approx). And they all were so obese ! thats why this stuff didnt surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,802,926 times
Now I'm craving some really crispy fried chicken. Popeyes, anyone?

But seriously, I can't eat much fried food without feeling sick. Though I love the taste, more than a little bit gives me heartburn and indigestion. I've always been a lousy southerner, anyway.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM

632 posts, read 1,034,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
A recent large scale study has found that diets high in typical Southern foods (fried foods, sweet tea, etc.) can increase the risk of stroke 41 - 63%.

Southern Diet Sends Stroke Risk Soaring: Study - ABC News
That is nothing new. I think people have known all along that southern diets are horrible. They already lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease so now we know it leads to stroke as well is not going to do anything to deter people from drinking their horrible horrible horrible sweet teas and eating their fried chicken.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,009,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
That is nothing new. I think people have known all along that southern diets are horrible. They already lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease so now we know it leads to stroke as well is not going to do anything to deter people from drinking their horrible horrible horrible sweet teas and eating their fried chicken.
I think it might deter some ... at least the ones who are concerned about their health.

What's great about studies like this is it helps people see how certain foods are affecting their health.

They may not have previously known the reason many of their relatives were dying of strokes at an early age.

Now they know it was most likely due to all the fried foods and sweet tea they consumed as part of their typical Southern diet.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Default New Poll: Southern States lead nation in obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes

New Gallup Poll shows that Southern states lead the country in obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes.

Coloradans Least Obese, West Virginians Most for Third Year

Quote:
The national obesity rate remained steady at 26.2% in 2012, compared with 26.1% in 2011, but is still higher than the 2008 average of 25.5%. Across states, obesity rates were statistically unchanged in 2012 when compared with 2011, with the exception of four states. Obesity rates increased in New Jersey, Georgia, and North Carolina while obesity rates in Delaware decreased.
These data, collected as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, are based on respondents' self-reports of their height and weight, which are used to calculate Body Mass Index (BMI) scores. Americans who have a BMI of 30 or higher are classified as obese. Gallup and Healthways have been tracking Americans' weight situation daily since January 2008.
Obesity rates continue to be highest in Southern and Midwestern states and lowest in Western and Northeastern states.
This data supports the OP article about Southern diets being bad for your health.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,862,523 times
Based on this article, we can now assume that Philly Cheese Steaks are the leading cause of obesity in Pennsylvania and Chicago Deep Dish pizza is the leading cause of obesity in Illinois and that In and Out Burger is responsible for any and all obesity in California. People (obese and otherwise) no longer eat a solely regional diet. If that was the case how come restaurants serving Italian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, French, Spanish, German and any other cuisine that can be attributed to a specific region exist all over the country?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Based on this article, we can now assume that Philly Cheese Steaks are the leading cause of obesity in Pennsylvania and Chicago Deep Dish pizza is the leading cause of obesity in Illinois and that In and Out Burger is responsible for any and all obesity in California. People (obese and otherwise) no longer eat a solely regional diet. If that was the case how come restaurants serving Italian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, French, Spanish, German and any other cuisine that can be attributed to a specific region exist all over the country?
You're assuming most people eat out at restaurants for the majority of their meals?

I highly doubt that is the case, as it would be very expensive.

I think they are getting fat mostly on the food they prepare at home, and Southern meals tend to be things such as fried chicken, organ meats, and sweet tea.

And even when they do eat out, Southern people probably eat the same types of unhealthy deep fried foods in restaurants as well, from places such as KFC, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You're assuming most people eat out at restaurants for the majority of their meals?

I highly doubt that is the case, as it would be very expensive.

I think they are getting fat mostly on the food they prepare at home, and Southern meals tend to be things such as fried chicken, organ meats, and sweet tea.

And even when they do eat out, Southern people probably eat the same types of unhealthy deep fried foods in restaurants as well, from places such as KFC, etc.
Look, a diet full of fat and sugar is bad regardless of the region of the country where it is consumed. And diets full of fat and sugar are to be found all over this nation and the world not just in the South. Your assertion that Southern diets are the only bad ones begs one question..... How'd all those fat people get that way who live in places other than the South?

And no, most Southerners don't consume diets consisting of fried chicken, organ meats and sweet tea and little else. Just like other parts of the country Southerners eat a wide variety of food, some good for them and some bad. You're suffering from the delusion that ALL people in a region act, think, talk, feel and eat the exact same way. Yeah, sure.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Look, a diet full of fat and sugar is bad regardless of the region of the country where it is consumed. And diets full of fat and sugar are to be found all over this nation and the world not just in the South. Your assertion that Southern diets are the only bad ones begs one question..... How'd all those fat people get that way who live in places other than the South?

And no, most Southerners don't consume diets consisting of fried chicken, organ meats and sweet tea and little else. Just like other parts of the country Southerners eat a wide variety of food, some good for them and some bad. You're suffering from the delusion that ALL people in a region act, think, talk, feel and eat the exact same way. Yeah, sure.
I never asserted that "Southern diets are the only bad ones". Your statement is absolutely ridiculous!

And no, I do not believe that "all people" in a region all eat exactly the same way.

However certain foods are eaten more than others depending on the region. This is true all over the world.

Most Chinese people tend to eat mostly Chinese food.

Most Japanese people tend to eat mostly Japanese food.

And I can go on and on.

And Southern foods are more likely to be eaten in the Southern states, more than anywhere else in the country. Otherwise, why would the foods be considered "Southern foods"?

The study in my original OP has concluded that diets high in typical Southern foods (fried foods, organ meats, and sweet tea) can increase the risk of stroke.

And the recent poll done by Gallup has shown that most of the Southern states have the highest obesity rates, highest diabetes rates, and highest blood pressure rates in the country.

It is obvious the foods they eat is the main reason for their health problems.

Here is a list of typical Southern foods:

List of foods of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Notice how many of the above foods are made from organ meat and how many are fried?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Here is a list of typical Southern foods:

List of foods of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice how many of the above foods are made from organ meat and how many are fried?
I have never eaten 95% of the food on that list nor have I ever seen it on a menu. And yet I've lived in the South for 30+ years. So strange. Clearly there are regional differences within the South just like every other region in the country. I would venture a guess that if the same study were done on other regions in the country where the researchers looked at the least healthy food they could find in that area, the results would be the same.

Yes, many in the South need to do a better job of healthy eating. So do many in the North and the East and the West. I would say this study told us something we already knew.... AMERICANS eat too much sugar, salt and fat and it's making us a fatter nation. Anyone who didn't already know this has either been living under a rock or has never been in a Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss