Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times

Advertisements

There are obese people in every state and people eat crappy in every state but the FACTS show that the South has the highest
concentration.
I do not know what the point is of trying to deny this fact besides some misplaced Southern pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,004,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep, according to Dr. Judd it's a possible cause of increased strokes in all of the 48 states where the study was conducted. Interesting that California was mentioned as a state that eats a lot of fried food and drinks a lot of sugary soda. In addition, he/she mentions that the Southern diet is popular all across the US. Yes, I know, people are fatter in the Southern states, but they are not any healthier if they eat those foods in California than they are in Alabama.

Bottom line - People need to limit the amount of fat, salt and sugar they consume regardless of the exact foods they choose and where they live.
I realize that Southern food is eaten in all parts of the country. The same is true for Chinese food, Japanese food, etc.

However, the most common place Southern food is eaten is in the South, and likely much more than anywhere else in the country.

And that would coincide with the health problems of the South being the highest in the nation.

This thread is not meant to put down Southern states in any way. It is meant to point out the health risks of eating Southern food.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:18 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I realize that Southern food is eaten in all parts of the country. The same is true for Chinese food, Japanese food, etc.

However, the most common place Southern food is eaten is in the South, and likely much more than anywhere else in the country.

And that would coincide with the health problems of the South being the highest in the nation.

This thread is not meant to put down Southern states in any way. It is meant to point out the health risks of eating Southern food.
I didn't take this thread as a put down in any way. My point is, and has always been, unhealthy food exists everywhere in the country. Some of that food is historically Southern and some is not. People don't need to focus on removing a specific cuisine from their diets, but in moderating the amount of fat, salt and sugar they eat in all their food choices.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 9,754 times
As per my research the major measure of obesity in Body Mass Index which allows comparisons of weight holding height constant. BMI is measured as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. Optimal BMI levels are generally believed to lie between 20 and 25. BMI below 20 is considered thin, BMI 25 and 30 is overweight, and BMI above 30 is obese. A six foot tall man would therefore be overweight at 184 pounds and obese at 221 pounds. The medical evidence shows increasingly high rates of disease and death as BMI increases above 25.
So there is a need of an organization which can bring the revolution to reduce body weight. People should be aware about their health and body mass.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,250,306 times
There is no doubt that Southern food is different than the rest of the food in the US. Unfortunately, what's tasty about Southern food is that it's fried and salty.
That's also what's it's down fall when it comes to health.

We spent many winter vacations at a family resort in Myrtle Beach when my kids were younger. The resort included a big Southern breakfast. - fried eggs, grits loaded with butter, gravy, biscuits, ham, bacon and a southern style potato casserole.

Since we don't eat meat, we skipped a good portion of the fat laden offerings. But it was still very different from what we are used to.

There were many Southern families who stayed at that resort also - from inland areas of the Caroinas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia etc.

This is anecdotal information, but these women - and sometimes men, were huge.
They were not poor either, if they could afford that resort.
They had to be at least middle income or above.

Many went up for 2nds and thirds.

In comparison to many other cuisines, the American Southern Diet has to be the worst!

From our time spent there, we all have a craving for deep fried pickles! It was also difficult to find ethnic restaurants and Sea Food placed that did not "deep fry" just about anything.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There is no doubt that Southern food is different than the rest of the food in the US. Unfortunately, what's tasty about Southern food is that it's fried and salty.

We spent many winter vacations at a family resort in Myrtle Beach when my kids were younger. The resort included a big Southern breakfast. - fried eggs, grits loaded with butter, gravy, biscuits, ham, bacon and a southern style potato casserole.

Since we don't eat meat, we skipped a good portion of the fat laden offerings. But it was still very different from what we are used to.

There were many Southern families who stayed at that resort also - from inland areas of the Caroinas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia etc.

In comparison to many other cuisines, the American Southern Diet has to be the worst!

From our time spent there, we all have a craving for deep fried pickles! It was also difficult to find ethnic restaurants and Sea Food placed that did not "deep fry" just about anything.
LOL. Myrtle Beach is the 3rd circle of Hell. I cannot fathom why anyone would willingly subject themselves to that place when there are so many beautiful beaches up and down the East coast. Not at all surprised that the food offerings are lousy. Clearly the type of people you describe who choose to vacation there are OK with over crowded beaches, over priced "resorts" and crappy food. No one who knows better and can afford better would EVER go there unless they just feel more at home at the Walmart of beaches.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-11-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

I've been to Myrtle Beach and had one of those heart-attack breakfasts, too. SO good, but SO bad.

But this thread reminded me of a story a coworker told me. Her father lives in Georgia, and when he was hospitalized a few years ago, she and her sister went down to see him and stayed with an aunt. She said the aunt suggested they go to breakfast at her favorite place. They went in, and it was a counter set up where you ordered the food and then took it to your table on a tray. The aunt ordered a whole fried chicken, which came cut into pieces with biscuits on the side. My friend and her sister thought fried chicken was an odd thing to get for breakfast, but they figured it was a southern thing. The aunt got the chicken and walked to the table and the girls followed her, and when she turned around she looked at their empty hands and said, "Aren't you going to eat anything?" They thought she'd ordered the whole chicken for all three to share, but it was just for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss