Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,790,051 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of going to the gym. For the past 1-2 years, I've fallen in love with it. Aside from the obvious benefit of helping me to lose weight and keep in shape, it makes me feel great to work out with others around me. Also, taking aerobics classes both motivates me and helps to relieve stress.

However, during the winter months, it's especially difficulty for me to go b/c : 1) it's cold 2) it's very cold 3) it's super cold. There's no fun/motivation in walking 5-7 long blocks to the train station in 15 degree weather. I do my best to go, but some days it's difficult.

With the weather getting slightly warmer, I'm definitely back into going more frequently.

I'm looking to have some variety to my workout regimen.

For those of you who actively work out, which form of work-outs do you stick to: the gym, or exercise videos? For those of you that like the videos, which ones do you own?

I own one by Jillian Michaels and a few by Shaun T. I love the Jillian Michaels video, but it becomes monotonous after a week. I haven't tried the Shaun T videos yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,557,429 times
Exercising at home is my thing. I do Cathe Friedrich, Kelly Coffey Meyer, Body Beast (a beachbody production) and so many others. There's so much variety, that it's hard to recommend a particular instructor or workout. I suggest you go to collagevideo.com and totalfitnessdvds.com to see clips.
Fyi, there are a few free streaming jillian workouts on befit's youtube channel

Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
I have done both. I go to a gym now and I love it. But when my daughter was small I did exercise video's at home. At the time Jane Fonda Step was in. I loved those! I lost all my baby weight and they kept me in great shape.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM

632 posts, read 1,033,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post

For those of you who actively work out, which form of work-outs do you stick to: the gym, or exercise videos? For those of you that like the videos, which ones do you own?
Most, if not almost ALL videos are horrible. The only exception I can think of is P90x. Most of the others are just geared towards people who need to get their butts in a gym, but for some reason dont do it, so they instead waste money on DVDs that get them nowhere.

Try Zuzana Light, P90x, or some of the bodyweight exercises you'll find on the Crossfit main website. If you've had some exposure to yoga, there are a few good yoga routines on Youtube that you can follow along with.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,662 times
I say whatever is going to keep you moving is the right choice for you!

Personally, I love the gym and cross-training class. The coach pushes us so much further than I can push myself on my own. That is not to say I won't work hard at home, it is not just to the same degree.

Videos for some reason don't interest me (I would try P90X though); however, I have a stationary bicycle to ride at home and have a set of used dumbbells and will be purchasing kettlebells as soon as I can. Something that works for me when exercising at home is using a Smartphone app to suggest what exercises to do.

I also use the Runtastic squats/situps/pushups/chinups apps to challenge me to increase my numbers with those particular exercises. Also have an interval timer for when I am short on time to do a quick but strenuous Tabata workout (you pick the exercise, it is fast and furious!).

Just find something you like and stick with it. With all the snow, ice, and school delays this year, my fitness would have suffered if I solely depended upon getting to the gym in my usual routine.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 AM

34 posts, read 77,527 times
Sometimes personal trainers are necessary for the beginners or else they will end up having some serious body injuries. The personal trainers make you understand the pros and cons of every activity. So they are recommended for them who want to build muscle as well as reduce weight. Those who don't want to go gym can do some stretch exercises or yoga poses at home to keep the body fit and flexible.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Most, if not almost ALL videos are horrible. The only exception I can think of is P90x. Most of the others are just geared towards people who need to get their butts in a gym, but for some reason dont do it, so they instead waste money on DVDs that get them nowhere.

Try Zuzana Light, P90x, or some of the bodyweight exercises you'll find on the Crossfit main website. If you've had some exposure to yoga, there are a few good yoga routines on Youtube that you can follow along with.
I respectfully disagree with this. I worked out with videos for years and stayed in shape--healthy weight, good cardio health, etc. Some are much better than others, but for someone with the OP's obstacles to getting to the gym in the winter, DVD's are a good alternative. It's certainly not the same as working out in a gym and you don't usually use very heavy weights, but you can still work hard and make some progress.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,618,772 times
I need the gym, just because my cardio of choice is the elliptical machine. I also enjoy spinning class. But I hear you about winter. My gym is a five minute walk away, but I sweat massively, and so I just think it's unhealthy to walk outside soaking wet in the cold. Luckily, my apt complex has a decent exercise room with three ellipticals and a good rack of dumbells, so when it gets cold, I just stay put.

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of going to the gym. For the past 1-2 years, I've fallen in love with it. Aside from the obvious benefit of helping me to lose weight and keep in shape, it makes me feel great to work out with others around me. Also, taking aerobics classes both motivates me and helps to relieve stress.

However, during the winter months, it's especially difficulty for me to go b/c : 1) it's cold 2) it's very cold 3) it's super cold. There's no fun/motivation in walking 5-7 long blocks to the train station in 15 degree weather. I do my best to go, but some days it's difficult.

With the weather getting slightly warmer, I'm definitely back into going more frequently.

I'm looking to have some variety to my workout regimen.

I own one by Jillian Michaels and a few by Shaun T. I love the Jillian Michaels video, but it becomes monotonous after a week. I haven't tried the Shaun T videos yet.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:54 PM

355 posts, read 1,117,506 times
Default Never bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I say whatever is going to keep you moving is the right choice for you!
This ^

Whatever keeps you motivated. Borrow a P90X video. Dont like it? Try Instanity. Too tough? Try something else.

Ideas that haven't been mentioned: Calisthenic Workouts (youtube), Tough Mudder training program: Tough Mudder Boot Camp Training | Tough Mudder, 10 Minute Trainer w/Tony Horton Amazon.com: 10 Minute Trainer: Tony Horton's Workout for the Busiest People Fitness DVD Program: Sports & Outdoors

Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM

42,032 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Both. I also like to walk outdoors, which you're not going to do anyway if it's too cold! My threshold is about 30 degrees, so I can comfortably walk outdoors most winter days around here.

I have a variety of videos, from cardio to yoga to strength training. They're great for weekend days when I just don't feel like going out, or on days when my schedule is tight and there's no time for the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss