Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrybishop View Post
strong determination and strong will power
Some people might not regard this as success. It's like "I work hard for my money". OK, but wouldn't it be even better to not have to work hard for your money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a "backlash:" issue with losing weight, and that is thinking, "if I am thin, ALL of my problems will be magically solved.". Sorry, it does not work that way. Thin people still have problems with relationships, finding jobs, and being happy. Thin people get depressed too.

That is something to really think about, because many people lose weight, focused on the fact that the weight has been the ONLY problem in tbeir lives. And then, expect to have some magic wand fix everythinf else, because thin people have "perfect" lives. And it is a huge crash and burn to realize, "hey, I am thin now, how come my life is not perfect?". And this creates depression, and slip back into unhealthy habits.

Been there.
To be fair, I think many of the suicides, addictions, and mental disorders that crop up post gastric bypass surgery are related to this very issue. Many of the morbidly obese do think that ALL their problems will be solved by the surgery, and then afterward there is a tremendous letdown.

My husband and best friend both became alcoholics after their gastric bypass surgeries. My sister-in-law has needed lots of mental health treatment. I don't see this as much in people I work with at the gym's healthy lifestyle program, as we address the emotional/mental aspects of getting healthy and fit just as much as the actual diet and exercise aspects.

Personally, as long as I am working out hard several times a week and staying on track with my eating, I feel content and happy. The actual number on the scale is irrelevant.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I never thought much about the psychology behind this...or the psychological implications of weight loss..the negative ones, that is.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
To be fair, I think many of the suicides, addictions, and mental disorders that crop up post gastric bypass surgery are related to this very issue. Many of the morbidly obese do think that ALL their problems will be solved by the surgery, and then afterward there is a tremendous letdown.

My husband and best friend both became alcoholics after their gastric bypass surgeries. My sister-in-law has needed lots of mental health treatment. I don't see this as much in people I work with at the gym's healthy lifestyle program, as we address the emotional/mental aspects of getting healthy and fit just as much as the actual diet and exercise aspects.

Personally, as long as I am working out hard several times a week and staying on track with my eating, I feel content and happy. The actual number on the scale is irrelevant.
To be fair, I think many of the suicides, addictions, and mental disorders that crop up post gastric bypass surgery is in the noise compared to the benefits the overwhelming majority of people who are no longer obese due to weight loss surgery. Meaning, if a very small percent of post WLS people become alcoholics, then it is worth it for the 99% who don't.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
To be fair, I think many of the suicides, addictions, and mental disorders that crop up post gastric bypass surgery is in the noise compared to the benefits the overwhelming majority of people who are no longer obese due to weight loss surgery. Meaning, if a very small percent of post WLS people become alcoholics, then it is worth it for the 99% who don't.
WLS doesn't address the underlying issue for obesity. People regain if they don't understand the why behind how they got there.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
WLS doesn't address the underlying issue for obesity. People regain if they don't understand the why behind how they got there.
If they understood the why behind how they got there, then they wouldn't need WLS in the first place.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If they understood the why behind how they got there, then they wouldn't need WLS in the first place.
Not necessarily. But WLS doesn't actually (in itself) teach how to "live" the rest of your life and deal any potential underlying issues that caused you to gain. In many cases weight gain has nothing to do with the food consumption. The food consumption is a symptom of another issue.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 9,557 times
I think excercise is good for health. It is good to loss your weight and you feel better active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss