Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times

Advertisements

Does losing weight change the type of person you are? Make you more happy, tolerant, not so easily offended? I am starting to observe some behavioral changes in people I attend personal training with at my gym. At first, most of those who were significantly overweight were a bit emotional, snappy, quick to draw conclusions and seemed to enjoy judging others in the gym and making fun of them. Now, after a few months, a lot of these same people have made a lot of progress, and several have lost a lot of weight and are definitely a bit healthier. I used to prepare myself for the rollercoaster of emotions, but have noticed that all of them (we are a group of 10) are so much better to be around. They seem happier, aren't as snarky or disrespectful of others, and are far from the bitter and judgmental people they were in the beginning.

We don't have time to talk much during training, but I thought I would ask if others see an improvement? Even after you lose a lot of weight and get closer to your goal do you find your overal demeanor changing? Is weight and happiness related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
There is something to be said about losing weight, you tend to feel better. Feeling better physically and mentally offers many advantages. Yes, the roller coaster of emotions might level out. Yes, a boost in self esteem and confidence also helps.

Weight and happiness might not be related for all. Feeling better about yourself offers better outlook IMO.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Maybe it is because people like you started treating them better, so they were less irritated.

You look like you are applying positive traits on the basis of "fitness" and negative traits on the basis of "non-fitness."

Happy tolerant people come in all types of packages. And so do bitter and snappy people.

People do change, but it is generally more related to self-esteem.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Alley...yes I do think you have made a valid observation. SD4020 makes a good point; feeling better can alter behaviour. I lost a lot of weight over the last year and I eat a very healthy diet now. My headaches and aching back are almost non-existent. My knees and feet don't hurt any more. I have lots more energy and have a balanced regular workout routine. I sleep better. I am also not embarrassed by the way I look and in general feel more confident and involved. Lots of positive psychological and physical things going on right now. I also feel that I am perceived in a more positive way by others...clerks at stores, etc. There are valid physical and psychological factors that are manifesting themselves in a variety of ways that certainly could be observed as a positive change in my attitude and demeanor....I am happier and probably nicer in general.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-14-2013 at 01:33 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
Quote:
I am also not embarrassed by the way I look and in general feel more confident and involved.
...i agree with that. Also nice to know I can fit into more clothes, now. Before I had too much of a gut.

Also I find I can be more active...doing hikes and walks and such (and now bike riding)....since I'm not so overweight....esp in hilly or more rugged areas where Id ordinarly get tired out quicker.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I think exercise is a real mood lifter in general. When you lose weight, you feel better being physically active and that just lifts your spirits even more..

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Its a chemical reaction from exercise:
Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I think learning impulse control bleeds over into what goes in or out of your mouth. LOL

Being heavy and out of shape just makes you feel like crap. I would say almost like being sick and no one is chipper when they don't feel well.

Proper nutrition is also a mood booster.

Weight loss is just the visual result of all of this.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Does losing weight change the type of person you are? Make you more happy, tolerant, not so easily offended? Is weight and happiness related?

Several different questions being asked here.

Type of person? Maybe, maybe not. Not sure
Probably will make you happier which in turn may result in you being less easily offended (less instances in which you would be offended), better mood, etc. Being overweight probably adds psychological stress and social anxiety. Self conscious.

I would think in general a person who has struggled with any negative (overweight, a bad back, a bad relationship, a bad job, a bad car) would be happier once that negative was removed from his life.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its a chemical reaction from exercise:
Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I think learning impulse control bleeds over into what goes in or out of your mouth. LOL

Being heavy and out of shape just makes you feel like crap. I would say almost like being sick and no one is chipper when they don't feel well.

Proper nutrition is also a mood booster.

Weight loss is just the visual result of all of this.
Good link. And it's important to note that exercise is beneficial even to those who do not have a significant amount of weight to lose.

OP - it is possible that you are noticing less negativity in your fellow gym goers because you, yourself, have a much more positive, upbeat outlook and, therefore, are more inclined to see the positive traits in those around you.

Good job. And keep it up!

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-14-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
There is a "backlash:" issue with losing weight, and that is thinking, "if I am thin, ALL of my problems will be magically solved.". Sorry, it does not work that way. Thin people still have problems with relationships, finding jobs, and being happy. Thin people get depressed too.

That is something to really think about, because many people lose weight, focused on the fact that the weight has been the ONLY problem in tbeir lives. And then, expect to have some magic wand fix everythinf else, because thin people have "perfect" lives. And it is a huge crash and burn to realize, "hey, I am thin now, how come my life is not perfect?". And this creates depression, and slip back into unhealthy habits.

Been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss