Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Society has told people its okay to make excuses. All individuals have the ability to use will power and make hard choices. They just choose not to because making excuses is easier and society seems to accept them.
People would rather be victims than try hard and succeed.
Actually, society does not send that message as much as it sends the message "You need to be thin.", "You're fat because you are weak.", "You're fat because you don't make wise eating decisions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The difference is their level of self control (willpower)
Most incorrect statement on city-data ever.

So, thin people = high will power; overweight people = low will power.

Got it.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
unless that person has the self control (willpower) not to overeat BEFORE surgery, they sure as hell won't have any after.
If a person had enough "will power" before surgery, then he wouldn't need surgery.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Charles, surgery isn't a fantastic solution for that person who can't/won't stop themselves from overeating.
Yes it is. And the reason is, surgery (nearly) prevents someone from overeating. It is nearly physically impossible to overeat with the VSG. The long term success rate is close to 100%.
But, and this is a big but, surgery isn't for everyone. It really is for people with a minimum BMI of 35 - that's more than a couple pounds overweight.

Quote:

Weight Watchers isn't a fantastic solution for that person who can't/won't stop themselves from overeating.

Medi Weight Lose isn't a fantastic solution for that person who can't/won't stop themselves from overeating.

Jenny Craig isn't a fantastic solution for that person who can't/wont' stop themselves from overeating.

Yes, I agree.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wow, you lost 500 pounds? Is that in one continuous effort (which makes me wonder how you could have gotten so overweight) OR is it losing 5 pounds (and regaining 5 pounds) 100 times or is it something in between?
One continuous weight loss and I got so overweight because I was married, had children and did not lose the weight gained from 3 pregnancies and I was a very emotional eater. All of that culminated over about a 10 year time frame and I ended up at right around 650 pounds. I am not exactly sure how much because the scale at the Doctor's office was red lined and would not go any higher. Now I weight a wee bit less that 150 exactly and it took me right at 13 years to change my lifestyle completely and adapt to those changes before I set my goal to change something else. A food addiction is just as severe as a drug addiction but it at times is worse to get over when someone is an emotional eater. They may be doing fine and something happens one day and the binge starts small and very quickly spirals toward absolute out of control. Then the emotions happen again and it continues but is a wee bit worse, then you are kicking yourself because you lost control in the first place then you grab a cookie. Just one cookie won't hurt, it will soothe me, relax me, just one cookie and the next thing you know it turns into one entire bag of cookies and you have already opened the chips and dip as well and round and round the carousel goes.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Most incorrect statement on city-data ever.

So, thin people = high will power; overweight people = low will power.

Got it.

Actually, no. Your last sentence is the most incorrect statement on CD EVER. We all have willpower, some of us actually choose to engage it.

Just like everyone has the same 24 hrs in a day (willpower), it's all in how you CHOOSE to spend your time (use your willpower).

Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. And the reason is, surgery (nearly) prevents someone from overeating. It is nearly physically impossible to overeat with the VSG. The long term success rate is close to 100%.
But, and this is a big but, surgery isn't for everyone. It really is for people with a minimum BMI of 35 - that's more than a couple pounds overweight.

Yes, I agree.

And it's for those who can prove (pre op) they have the self control to lose weight on their own. If not, they shouldn't be having surgery. It's a waste of time.

It's not impossible to overeat after weight lose surgery. My BIL is a perfect example. He lost weight post op, but at his one yr check up, he was at his pre op weight. How you ask....by literally eating all friggin day long.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
If a person had enough "will power" before surgery, then he wouldn't need surgery.

They do have enough willpower, they are just choosing not to use it, they want the easy way out. And sadly they really believe that surgery is the way out...it's not. It's a joke. A huge money making joke.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
They do have enough willpower, they are just choosing not to use it, they want the easy way out. And sadly they really believe that surgery is the way out...it's not. It's a joke. A huge money making joke.
What's wrong with an easy way out? Only a moron would chose the more difficult (struggling, will power, deprivation, frustration vs reduced capability to take in large quantities of food) of two methods to achieve success.
"By most estimates, 80% or more of patients do well after surgery, says Atul Madan, MD, chief of bariatric surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine. "They have lost the weight they wanted to lose and have kept it off."

Quality of life is vastly improved after bariatric surgery, Madan tells WebMD. "Multiple studies show that patients are healthier. They have fewer obesity-related conditions like sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and other medical problems.""
from

Weight Loss Surgery: Long-Term Results

"A long term study following patients for up to 14 years after surgery found that 89% of weight-loss was maintained."
from

Pories WJ, Swanson MS, MacDonald KG, et al. Who Would Have Thought It? – An Operation Proves to be the Most Effective Therapy for Adult-Onset Diabetes Mellitus. Annals of Surgery

Last edited by Charles; 04-20-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
[quote=Charles;29219549]What's wrong with an easy way out? Only a moron would chose the more difficult (struggling, will power, deprivation, frustration vs reduced capability to take in large quantities of food) of two methods to achieve success.

So you are saying I am a MORON for NOT having major body changing life threatening surgery for my weight loss? My response to this is not able to be posted since I do not want to voluntarily be suspended for TOS violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss