Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,392,268 times

Advertisements

I want to get it off quick, probably like most people.

As far as my eating habits generally, I wouldn't say I was ever a huge sugar, sweets, candy guy, although I do like a bit of here and there (small bowl of ice cream or some chocolate at night or maybe a cookie). I love broccoli and celery, I don't mind carrots. Lately I've been steaming a big plate of broccoli at night with a small pad of butter (or olive oil) some garlic and parmesan. That's been sort of my late night go-to for a snack.

My biggest reason now is that here in MN Spring finally arrived, and I'll be outside far more than those Winter months and just to get that Winter weight off and to a beach-proper body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,484,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

As far as my eating habits generally, I wouldn't say I was ever a huge sugar, sweets, candy guy, although I do like a bit of here and there (small bowl of ice cream or some chocolate at night or maybe a cookie). I love broccoli and celery, I don't mind carrots. Lately I've been steaming a big plate of broccoli at night with a small pad of butter (or olive oil) some garlic and parmesan. That's been sort of my late night go-to for a snack.

My biggest reason now is that here in MN Spring finally arrived, and I'll be outside far more than those Winter months and just to get that Winter weight off and to a beach-proper body.
Do a food journal. Most people don't realize how much bad stuff they consume until they see it written down. Honestly, it's not THAT hard to eat right and to stick with it. The key is to allow yourself about three weeks to teach your body to crave good foods - at least that's what I'm finding out about myself. Instead of wanting to go out to Taco Bell or grab a cheeseburger for lunch, I get hungry for a good grilled chicken salad or some along those lines. The other piece is to allow yourself a treat. It is perfectly OK to splurge every now and then as rewards, as long as you keep it within reason. Most importantly, it's always best to shoot for no more than 2 pounds each week.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,851,006 times
I cut out the grains/sugars to achieve lower carb eating. I really did not lose any nutrients by doing so, it was simple math. With that said, I was in good shape through my 20's and had to work hard at getting fat through my 30's with consistently bad food choices. I completely switched the way my body is fueled from fast/processed food and snacks to quality meats, veggies etc and my composition/energy levels responded almost immediately. My results may have been a function of having spent many years in good physical condition, so reversion came easy.

I never once "cheated" during the weight loss phase, and think that is key. For me, one cheat early on may have done me in and creating a mindset of reward based on food can lead to failure with many people. I am not saying torture yourself, just exercise as much self control as possible for the first 3-4 weeks to change your habits. Now that I am where I want to be, I have no issue with an occasional piece of pizza or good bread. I do not crave junk food anymore though. I will eat a square or two of dark chocolate (85%) a few times a week as a dessert and it is more than satisfying. A banana may be my favorite food nowadays lol.

The first few weeks I dropped about 15-17 lbs of the weight, but a lot of that was water weight. It settled to about 2-2.5 lbs a week on average for the majority of the weight loss. Whatever method you find that works, it is all worth it in the end.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM

515 posts, read 1,005,547 times
If you're going for a strict keto diet, less than 50 grams will help you lose weight. For a less strict low carb, keep it to around 100 grams or so a day.

everything about keto

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

It's tough to stay strictly keto but plenty of people do it

Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Do a food journal. Most people don't realize how much bad stuff they consume until they see it written down. Honestly, it's not THAT hard to eat right and to stick with it. The key is to allow yourself about three weeks to teach your body to crave good foods - at least that's what I'm finding out about myself. Instead of wanting to go out to Taco Bell or grab a cheeseburger for lunch, I get hungry for a good grilled chicken salad or some along those lines. The other piece is to allow yourself a treat. It is perfectly OK to splurge every now and then as rewards, as long as you keep it within reason. Most importantly, it's always best to shoot for no more than 2 pounds each week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I cut out the grains/sugars to achieve lower carb eating. I really did not lose any nutrients by doing so, it was simple math. With that said, I was in good shape through my 20's and had to work hard at getting fat through my 30's with consistently bad food choices. I completely switched the way my body is fueled from fast/processed food and snacks to quality meats, veggies etc and my composition/energy levels responded almost immediately. My results may have been a function of having spent many years in good physical condition, so reversion came easy.

I never once "cheated" during the weight loss phase, and think that is key. For me, one cheat early on may have done me in and creating a mindset of reward based on food can lead to failure with many people. I am not saying torture yourself, just exercise as much self control as possible for the first 3-4 weeks to change your habits. Now that I am where I want to be, I have no issue with an occasional piece of pizza or good bread. I do not crave junk food anymore though. I will eat a square or two of dark chocolate (85%) a few times a week as a dessert and it is more than satisfying. A banana may be my favorite food nowadays lol.

The first few weeks I dropped about 15-17 lbs of the weight, but a lot of that was water weight. It settled to about 2-2.5 lbs a week on average for the majority of the weight loss. Whatever method you find that works, it is all worth it in the end.
I think what Martha Stewart said on one interview (I'm not a fan or anything, just heard her say this) was that she sort of splurged, or was more lenient, on the weekends. That is generally my strategy, to more or less maintain a very light carbs and proteins diet during the week and have some of the less-than-good- for-you cravings on my weekends and in doing so I can get to a healthy weight and maintain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
If you're going for a strict keto diet, less than 50 grams will help you lose weight. For a less strict low carb, keep it to around 100 grams or so a day.

everything about keto

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EHc/edit?pli=1

faq - keto

It's tough to stay strictly keto but plenty of people do it
I'll check it out.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You should be worried. It is incredibly hard on your body.
That's why you do it for just a day, two at the most.

Quote:
Low carb diets work for some, but the majority of people end up failing on them because it is very hard to keep the carb level low enough for it to be effective.
I've been on the low-carb wagon for 14 () years, falling off now and again for various reasons. I shoot for between 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day.

Low-carb -- for me, anyway -- is about controlling hunger, not losing weight fast. I look at it this way: What is going to leave me satisfied for longer, 100 calories worth of chicken or tuna, or 100 calories of fruit or whole wheat bread or pasta? The protein source wins every time. Throw in some oatmeal, berries, and lots of veggies, and I am not hungry. That in turn allows me to lose/maintain weight.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Ohio it's great you found way to eat that works for and you are able to sustain it. You are the exception and not the rule however.
The red flags in the OP's post is the quick weight loss, which is basically code for, 'I am going to fail because I have no real understanding of how my body works'. Low carb may be the way to go for him, but until he wraps his brain around the myth of quick weight loss he is going to spin his wheels.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM

Well what exactly are these health risks I should be aware of?

I'm 30yo, fairly fit, no family history of cardiac issues, am not allergic to anything. There is also not serious weight (obesity) family history, at least that I'm aware of. Neither of my parents' parents were obese, and while there are some elderly cancers may have hit a couple of them, they had no cardiac or dementia issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,723,571 times
Quote:

With losing weight carbs and calories matter.

Use this as guidance:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

It is free and you can tailor it to your personal stats for your personal needs.
You do not want to rush it off if you want to have muscle. Losing fast takes muscle off most bodies. Especially if you are not using strength training to combat lean tissue loss.
You can go with the meal plan they give you or you can add up everything you already eat and see how bad your intake really is before changing it. It can be interesting and you will see how much change needs to be made when you look at your natural days as is. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,484,846 times
Quote:
I think what Martha Stewart said on one interview (I'm not a fan or anything, just heard her say this) was that she sort of splurged, or was more lenient, on the weekends. That is generally my strategy, to more or less maintain a very light carbs and proteins diet during the week and have some of the less-than-good- for-you cravings on my weekends and in doing so I can get to a healthy weight and maintain it.
Exactly! I pretty much find myself having a difficult time on the weekends. So my rule of thumb is, if I can get by with maintaining my weight to gaining no more than a pound after the weekend, it's a win for me. My theory is, I should be able to work off that pound, and maybe at least another one by the end of the week - which puts me at a healthy pace of losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss