Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,643,799 times

Advertisements

Great, this will probably lead to more reliance on drugs and surgery rather than lifestyle changes.

Just what this country doesn't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,836,150 times
I don't care for labels though I am thinking they are doing this so health insurance may cover treatment whether it be a dietician,personal trainer,therapist or other medical things.
I do feel when weight goes to an extreme whether it be over or under there is more going on then just food and finding the reason behind that and healthy ways to cope is key. That being said people do need to be responsible and though they may have not chosen this they can make the choice to help themselves even if it is hard and comes with a lot of ups and downs. I would think obesity is like another addiction such as drugs and one can make the choice to get better. A disease or health condition for ex like cancer a person can't make themselves better they can just do the best they can with treatment etc. Not sure if I am making sense.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Great, this will probably lead to more reliance on drugs and surgery rather than lifestyle changes.

Yup, that's my take on it as well. I also think insurances companies are now going to be forced to pay for these stupid fad diet programs. If they are going to have to pay for one, it should be WW or something just like WW. No Medi Fast, no Nurtri System, no Medi Weight Loss etc...

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,187,106 times
I guess its one of those lifestyle maladys, like Diabetes and Gout.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

If surgery or (hypothetically) drugs can solve a problem a lot easier, what's wrong with that?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Because it doesn't solve the problem and baiting people is uncalled for.
Does taking an aspirin for a headache solve the problem?

It doesn't solve the problem but neither does "lifestyle changes" or other pseudonyms fo deprivation or use of will power more than about 5% of people. Not a very high success rate.

And, what is your point about baiting people?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I guess its one of those lifestyle maladys, like Diabetes and Gout.
Except that obesity is curable. No need for a drug. However, the person effected needs to make the decision and possess the determination to reduce their weight. Insofar it is a two part solution. Physical, that you change nutritional input and develop better eating and lifestyle habits. The second, is mental. Excuses, denial, lack a desire. If you overcome the mental the physical is easier.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Except that obesity is curable. No need for a drug. However, the person effected needs to make the decision and possess the determination to reduce their weight. Insofar it is a two part solution. Physical, that you change nutritional input and develop better eating and lifestyle habits. The second, is mental. Excuses, denial, lack a desire. If you overcome the mental the physical is easier.

This is 100% correct.

If a medical way such as a drug became available to "cure" obesity, then why not utilize it?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,723,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
You know, comparing tobacco use to obesity is a ridiculous, asinine comparison, yet everybody does it.

Problem - alcoholism.......Solution - just quit drinking
Problem - drug addiction......Solution - just quit drugs
Problem - smoking........Solution - just quit smoking

Problem - obesity.......Solution - just quit eating..........wait a minute that doesn't work now, does it???? You don't have to smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol to live, but you DO have to eat to live.

Now I'm not saying that a lot of people don't eat what they should or eat a lot more than they should, but there are so many genetic, physical and chemical reactions in the body that makes what works for one person not work for the next. We all know at least one person who could eat anything and everything they wanted and never gain an ounce. And another person can eat everything they should but is maybe unable to physically exercise as much as they should. Have you ever had a bad back or a herniated disc or other physical problems that keep you from being able to move easily, problems that have NOT been caused by obesity but maybe caused the obesity itself due to lack of pain free mobility? So it's not as easy as lumping all overweight people into one category and calling them all slovenly pigs. And it sure as heck isn't as easy as telling someone to eat less and exercise. Maybe that's the answer, but maybe it isn't. It's up to the person to work with their doctor and develop the plan that will work for THEM. And stop comparing it to smoking as there is absolutely nothing in common between that and eating.
Just quit over eating generally results in weight loss. The point is that the brain responds to food and drugs the same way which can create a problem. The internal reward system. Actually I have had injuries when I could not exercise. I just adjusted my calorie intake level to prevent gaining weight.

Addiction to food, drugs similar in the brain - CNN.com

Brain Activity in Food Addiction Similar to Other Addictions, According to Study - ABC News

HBO: Addiction: Understanding Addiction: Addiction and the Brain's Pleasure Pathway: Beyond Willpower

"A person takes a drug of abuse, be it marijuana or cocaine or even alcohol, activating the same brain circuits as do behaviors linked to survival, such as eating, bonding and sex. The drug causes a surge in levels of a brain chemical called dopamine, which results in feelings of pleasure. The brain remembers this pleasure and wants it repeated."

Old 06-21-2013, 02:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Labeling obesity as a disease is a good thing, it acknowledges that obesity is not a normal state for the human body and represents a diseased state. Of course people, that is overweight people, prefer to think of being overweight as simply a "different body type", "big boned" or other such things.....but medically it is a disease just as much as the numerous other things we call diseases. For example, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc are all highly correlated with diet/lifestyle even-though people often want to pretend otherwise. People don't get heart attacks randomly, its highly correlated with diet/lifestyle....just like obesity.

As with heart disease, diabetes, etc...it should be fully expected that most people will decide (or perhaps industry will decide...) to treat their disease with expensive drugs and therapies rather than deal with the underlying cause of their condition.....so this will make these options more available to people. Why should obesity be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss