Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM

99 posts, read 522,378 times

Advertisements

What is the most effective way to control fat, keeping in mind our busy daily routine and bad eating/drinking habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,464 times
Eat healthy 99 percent of the time. Exercise daily. Have a method of stress reduction too

Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Cut out all diet soft drinks. It's been proven that Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr. Pepper and so forth actually help cause obesity.
Avoid diet food. Eat real food, fried snack "foods", etc. just smaller portions. Let it happen over time and be patient

Old 04-24-2007, 02:26 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,757 times
I'm not big on exercising, so I very rarely do it. I've been a steady 100-110 pounds for a very long time (was WAY underweight before), but as the years go by, my weight fluctuates alot (plus or minus 10 pounds). I have found that it's mainly the foods you eat and what your body is lacking. I take an extra magnesium, vitamine C and E and cranberry tab every day and my weight seems to have stabalized. Eating whole foods too....fruits, veggies, whole grains etc... Instead of white bread, eat whole wheat (if it tastes too much like cardboard...flax bread is a great alternative too). Some say you can't lose weight by dieting alone, although I know you can (just won't have the same ripped muscles as you would if you exercised). Even if you can do some sort of exercise 3 times a week it will greatly benefit you. Eat high protein, high fiber foods, take an amino supplement if your body is lacking. This is the stuff that has worked for me...someone who HATES exercise...but I do push myself once in a while If you are obese, then exercising will be an important factor on top of a healthy diet and lifestyle. I agree diet sodas contribute to weight gain. Try drinking other sweet drinks instead like pure juices (not from concentrate). I heard of a great option to soda....tastes great and helps you lose weight...don't know why...think it was out of a magazine...drink 8-12 glasses a day (I lost 7 pounds in about a week and a half drinking this..but again, my body is used to fluctuating between 100-110 pounds). 8 oz water, 2 tbsp maple syrup (the REAL stuff...not that Aunt Jamima type stuff), 2 tbsp lemon juice and pinch of cayenne pepper. I made a bunch in the AM, bottled them so they were easy to grab throughout the day and already cold.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
Everyone in my family tree is overweight. I have been running and working out all of my adult life and I believe that is why I'm the only one who is not obese.
Every once in a while I notice myself getting a spare tire and realize that I haven't been weight lifting for a couple of weeks or eating too many donuts (I love dunkin donuts) After about a week of healthy eating and working out hard 2 or three days I'm back to normal.

Our society (me included) spends way too much time sedentary, either in front of a computer or the T.V...... or both. As Ihave read in other posts the so called diet products are so filled with preservatives and artificial ingredients they are "screwing" with our metabolism and actually causing more cravings.
I know if I go to Mc Donald's the next day I'm craving the same thing. I always catch myself. Some people who are depressed or just sad about something going on in their lives will make themselves feel better by eating "comfort" foods. These foods 99% of the time are either adding fat to our bodies or lowering our metabolism causing weight gain and general malaise.

Some that smoke feel if the stop they will just eat more. This may be true but smoking introduces over 100 different chemicals into the body causing many more problems than just being obese. Nicotine slows metabolism to a crawl. Other chemicals in cigarettes such as Benzene, Toluene, etc. cause the euphoric feeling smokers like. These chemicals build up in the liver, kidneys, lungs and the brain among others causing irreversible damage.

Exercise and eat veggies and stay away from donuts

Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
Simple: Eat a good mix of plenty of unrefined (not refined carbs), protein, greens, other veggies, and fruits, cut out the greasy fired foods, candy, and ice cream, exercise, 8 hours of sleep, limit computer usage to 45 min. avg a day and stay out of chat rooms. There is nothing magical, no magic pill, no simple solution offered via a 30-minute fraudulent infomercial....which reminds me also- throw out the idiot box: there's nothing worth watching anyhow.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Everyone in my family tree is overweight. I have been running and working out all of my adult life and I believe that is why I'm the only one who is not obese.
Every once in a while I notice myself getting a spare tire and realize that I haven't been weight lifting for a couple of weeks or eating too many donuts (I love dunkin donuts) After about a week of healthy eating and working out hard 2 or three days I'm back to normal.

Our society (me included) spends way too much time sedentary, either in front of a computer or the T.V...... or both. As Ihave read in other posts the so called diet products are so filled with preservatives and artificial ingredients they are "screwing" with our metabolism and actually causing more cravings.
I know if I go to Mc Donald's the next day I'm craving the same thing. I always catch myself. Some people who are depressed or just sad about something going on in their lives will make themselves feel better by eating "comfort" foods. These foods 99% of the time are either adding fat to our bodies or lowering our metabolism causing weight gain and general malaise.

Some that smoke feel if the stop they will just eat more. This may be true but smoking introduces over 100 different chemicals into the body causing many more problems than just being obese. Nicotine slows metabolism to a crawl. Other chemicals in cigarettes such as Benzene, Toluene, etc. cause the euphoric feeling smokers like. These chemicals build up in the liver, kidneys, lungs and the brain among others causing irreversible damage.

Exercise and eat veggies and stay away from donuts

WOW!!! GREAT post!!! Some awesome advice here!!

I think we've all tried at some point or another some sort of fat burner or diet pill....they reel you in and spit you out the same weight as you were when you started. (Well, MOST of us). People are just so desperate to have that body they see on TV or singing on stage. It's a shame but it's reality. I agree completely with the diet pills and...well....pretty much everything stated in this post. Although there are alot of people out there like me...absolutely cannot get into the exercising thing, just cannot do it for longer than 3 days at a time. Don't know why, I try to make it fun...but still. I have made alot of changes though to kind of make up for it....maybe these suggestions will help others who can't seem to get that exercise thing down.

At least 3 times a week, we, as a family...yes, kids in tow and everything, go for a walk after dinner. Spending quality time, getting out and teaching the kids that even though I might hate exercising, it's a MUST!! We always make it fun by picking where we're going to walk to (in our case it's either going South down the road to the bridge or North to the culverts...either way, they're both about a half mile away...). Also, when I go somewhere, I no longer drive around the parking lot looking for a parking space. I find one WAAAY out at the other end of the lot and walk. (cuts down on the stress of driving up and down aisles and having someone steal your space). Also ALWAYS use the stairs now. I haven't been on an elavator in a LONG time!! (unless I'm hauling luggage up to a hotel room). Just these little things have helped alot. They seem minuscule as compared to full workout, but they benefit and now the kids even always WANT to take the stairs!!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
My doctor just tells me "Eat less, move more" Sounds like it should work, no if only I could do it! I had the most awesome soft banana ice cream cone today....

Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
My doctor just tells me "Eat less, move more" Sounds like it should work, no if only I could do it! I had the most awesome soft banana ice cream cone today....
Thanks...now I'm craving banana ice cream!! Think I'll go blend up some strawberries (fresh out of bananas), milk and ice cubes...maybe that'll satisfy me!!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Cut out all diet soft drinks. It's been proven that Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr. Pepper and so forth actually help cause obesity.
Avoid diet food. Eat real food, fried snack "foods", etc. just smaller portions. Let it happen over time and be patient
I agree with MoMark.....everyone I see drinking soda, including diet is overweight. Also, eating more often, smaller portions is the correct way to control weight and increase your metabolism. Drinking alcohol slows your metabolism, not to mention the added calories and sugar involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss