Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times

Advertisements

“Recent randomized controlled trials document that low-carbohydrate diets not only decrease body weight but also improve cardiovascular risk factors. In light of this evidence from randomized controlled trials, dietary guidelines should be re-visited advocating a healthy low carbohydrate dietary pattern as an alternative dietary strategy for the prevention of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk factors.”

Darn! Instapundit give us a link and then we discover we've got to pay $36 to read the entire piece. If you want the link, here it is: The Low-Carbohydrate Diet and Cardiovascular Risk Factors: Evidence from Epidemiologic Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM

145 posts, read 186,054 times
Well, it's just a review study, where a jumble of other studies (assumed to be accurate) and processed together in a blender in order to come up with something valid.

Not very impressive.

Obesity is the key. Reduce obesity and way you can and OF COURSE you will reduce cardiovascular risk.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
There is often a sleight of hand in these studies, for the average person, low-carbohydrate means a diet rich in animal fats and animal protein, yet a "healthy low-carbohydrate diet" as referred to in this study is based on plant fats and protein and some lean animal protein. So there is often a large disconnect people how the average person thinks about low-carbohydrate diets and the sorts of diets being researched. With that said, this study is just looking at disease risk factors (cholesterol level, etc) and not actually disease. Studies looking at actual cardiovascular disease have found a consist link between low-carbohydrate diets (especially when based on animal fats) and cardiovascular disease.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 PM

192 posts, read 250,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
sleight of hand in these studies, for the average person, low-carbohydrate means a diet rich in animal fats and animal protein
And that's why the OP posted it.... anti-veg propaganda. This is the 2nd stage of truth: it's opposed. they want everybody eating meat so they don't look bad.

Quote:
I don't love vegetables
Your tastes can change... as you eat less salt and junk, and more healthy food. vegetables taste best steamed. Don't cook them too high or long. Don't boil. As you eat more, your body will start to want it.

My desire for vegetables increases as I eat more fruit. Win-win.

Quote:
but I'm a meat eater plain and simple
Most vegetarians were. The key to getting by without it is: Enough calories & nutrients

Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If for whatever reason you need a low carb diet the Paleo diet is a healthy option.
Paleo Diet Food List | Eat Drink Paleo

Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There is often a sleight of hand in these studies, for the average person, low-carbohydrate means a diet rich in animal fats and animal protein, yet a "healthy low-carbohydrate diet" as referred to in this study is based on plant fats and protein and some lean animal protein. So there is often a large disconnect people how the average person thinks about low-carbohydrate diets and the sorts of diets being researched. With that said, this study is just looking at disease risk factors (cholesterol level, etc) and not actually disease. Studies looking at actual cardiovascular disease have found a consist link between low-carbohydrate diets (especially when based on animal fats) and cardiovascular disease.

"linked" does not mean causality.

even "consistently linked" does not mean causality.

But cite one or two so I can look at them.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If for whatever reason you need a low carb diet the Paleo diet is a healthy option.
Paleo Diet Food List | Eat Drink Paleo
Thanks for the link!

As to those who accused me of posting this because I'm "anti-vegan" I don't think so. I think fruits and vegetables are very important in anyone's diet. I just also happen to feel that Man is genetically omnivorous meaning we are meant to eat meats, poultry, and fish.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I just also happen to feel that Man is genetically omnivorous meaning we are meant to eat meats, poultry, and fish.
If this were true, then there wouldn't be so many people that thrive on vegetarian diets. Millions of vegetarians in the US, many millions throughout Europe, around 300 million in India, around 50 million in China....and outside of wealthy countries most of the non-vegetarians are eating relatively little meat.

Humans can't even eat most meat without cooking it first, not exactly what you'd expect from a species that was "genetically meant" to eat meat.

Anyhow, this study doesn't appear to be a serious study, for example they suggest that health recommendations should be revised yet this study doesn't provide anything close to the sort of evidence you'd want to see before your revised national health recommendations.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM

50 grams of protein is all we need per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss