Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Absolutely wrong.

Everything we eat that is absorbed into the bloodstream is broken down into the same simple carbon molecules. Virtually all carbs wind up as the 6-carbon glucose. All protein is broken down into its constituent amino acids, and fats into 2-carbon units from which neutral triglycerides and cholesterol-based molecules are made.

Sorry.
This isn't true at all. For example, very special types of carbohydrates call sialic acids coat the surface of pretty much every cells. Many, many, many years ago, our evolutionary ancestors developed a mutation in a gene called CMAH, which was an enzyme capable of synthesizing a special hydroxylated form of sialic acid known as Neu5Gc. It is believed that this is yet another example of what makes humans uniquely human--almost all other animals besides humans are capable of making Neu5Gc. What's the big deal? Well sialic acids play a fundamental role in brain development; through mutation of CMAH, humans were no longer able to produce Neu5Gc, which may have signficantly altered our ancestors' brain development to the human brain we have today. However there's more. Neu5Gc, when found of the surface of human cells, is known to immuno stimulating and promotes inflammation. How does Neu5Gc get onto human cells then if humans can't make it? Diet! Like I said, all animals besides humans are capable of making Neu5Gc, and Neu5Gc from animal meat can be metabolized and incorporated onto the surface of human cells (which is a way around the CMAH bottleneck). A lot of research is going on currently with Neu5Gc, diet, and meat consumption because it coul be yet another reason why higher consumption of meat and animal based products consistently increases your risks of cancer. If Neu5Gc is getting onto the surface of your cells from dietary sources, there could be chronic low levels of inflammation--which is one of the hallmarks of cancer.

There are many different types of carbohydrates besides glucose that is used in all cell physiology which can come from dietary sources, and many other different types of lipids must be synthesized besides 2-carbon units (for use in cellular membrane construction and glycolipids).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
I have also read too much protein can convert to sugar is that true?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM

145 posts, read 185,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
This isn't true at all. For example, very special types of carbohydrates call sialic acids coat the surface of pretty much every cells. Many, many, many years ago, our evolutionary ancestors developed a mutation in a gene called CMAH, which was an enzyme capable of synthesizing a special hydroxylated form of sialic acid known as Neu5Gc. It is believed that this is yet another example of what makes humans uniquely human--almost all other animals besides humans are capable of making Neu5Gc. What's the big deal? Well sialic acids play a fundamental role in brain development; through mutation of CMAH, humans were no longer able to produce Neu5Gc, which may have signficantly altered our ancestors' brain development to the human brain we have today. However there's more. Neu5Gc, when found of the surface of human cells, is known to immuno stimulating and promotes inflammation. How does Neu5Gc get onto human cells then if humans can't make it? Diet! Like I said, all animals besides humans are capable of making Neu5Gc, and Neu5Gc from animal meat can be metabolized and incorporated onto the surface of human cells (which is a way around the CMAH bottleneck). A lot of research is going on currently with Neu5Gc, diet, and meat consumption because it coul be yet another reason why higher consumption of meat and animal based products consistently increases your risks of cancer. If Neu5Gc is getting onto the surface of your cells from dietary sources, there could be chronic low levels of inflammation--which is one of the hallmarks of cancer.

There are many different types of carbohydrates besides glucose that is used in all cell physiology which can come from dietary sources, and many other different types of lipids must be synthesized besides 2-carbon units (for use in cellular membrane construction and glycolipids).

Wrong again.

Carbohydrates- all of them- enter the human bloodstream from the liver as 95% glucose, the rest being either fructose or galactose- all six carbon sugars.

And the the 2-carbon units from lipids, all fats are made, and cholesterol is syunthesized.

Excess protein is usually broken down and stored as fat. Under stress, certain amino acids from broken down protein can be used to make glucose- which the brain needs for fuel.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Wrong again.

Carbohydrates- all of them- enter the human bloodstream from the liver as 95% glucose, the rest being either fructose or galactose- all six carbon sugars.

And the the 2-carbon units from lipids, all fats are made, and cholesterol is syunthesized.

Excess protein is usually broken down and stored as fat. Under stress, certain amino acids from broken down protein can be used to make glucose- which the brain needs for fuel.

Laughable.

You are apparently ignorant (or totally have forgotten) that there a more classes of carbohydrates that exist, such as the hexosamines, and special ones like Neu5Gc are very specific for certain types of dietary sources, such as meats.

N-acetylglucosamine, N-acetylgalactose amine, N-acetyl mannose amine, fucose, and mannose are all six carbon sugars that are taken in from your diet (as well as biosynthesized) and are directly used for the biogenesis of glycoproteins and general anabolic functions of all cells.

Someone needs a real education on glycobiology:

Essentials of Glycobiology - NCBI Bookshelf

Someone also needs an education on fatty acid storage and lipid membrane synthesis:

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Well, you are wrong again.

The aphorism "you are what you eat" is balony.

I don't doubt that all sorts of the things you referenced are important in the body.

Of course.

But the point is that they are built out of monosaccharides- mostly glucose.

ALL carbohydrates are broken down to monosaccharides. It doesn't matter WHAT type you eat.

From Guyton and Hall chapter 66

"As explained in Chapter 65, the final products of carbohydrate
digestion in the alimentary tract are almost
entirely glucose, fructose, and galactose—with glucose
representing, on average, about 80 per cent of these.
After absorption from the intestinal tract, much of the
fructose and almost all the galactose are rapidly converted
into glucose in the liver.Therefore, little fructose
and galactose are present in the circulating blood.
Glucose thus becomes the final common pathway for the
transport of almost all carbohydrates to the tissue cells."

Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 20,298 times
I think the you are what you eat applies to me, anyway. The way I feel and my immunity has changed drastically since I started eating clean. I used to get viruses all the time, since I started eating super healthy, I've not gotten a single sniffle and I feel better mentally. So in my case, yes it is true.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM

Well, you shouldn't eat bad food, or food that you are allergic to, obviously.

I agree with that.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
I think part of it might be food allergies, another part might be a placebo effect (we are conditioned all our lives into thinking meat and fat are bad, vegetables and fruits are good) and another part might be toxins in the foods themselves, for example eating meat that is burnt on the outside from overcooking or filled with nitrates.

Also stress, antibiotic use, alcohol consumption.. some people just have better genetics and can tolerate toxins and stress better than others.

People have been fooled for decades into eating box cereal thinking it's 'healthy' but the truth is cereal, orange juice, and candy bars all break down into pretty much the same sugars in the stomach, unless you are eating a really high fiber cereal like "all bran, bran buds" ... pasteurized orange juice is no healthier than drinking soda.. it's pure sugar basically... so parents telling their kids they cannot have chocolate while forcing them to drink their processed store bought orange juice are misinformed.

question for steve... what is your thought on 'enzymes' in foods? Is it better to eat raw fruit/vegetables or doesn't it matter? The body produces all it's own enzymes after all for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss