Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times

Advertisements

I have tried many diets and either I don't lose or I am so hungry that I give up on them..
Low carb has worked for about 10 lbs but I gain it back very fast..
I am 57 years old, 5'4" tall and 155lbs..

I am considering doing the Juicing Diet for a short period of time but using a
Nutribullet instead which will leave the pulp/fiber in the drink.

I love to drink my meals and think I could stick to this if I lose weight doing it..

Has anyone else lost weight this way??
How did you ease back into normal food ??
Did you add protein powder into the smoothies??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,815 times
My mother in law lost 100 pounds years ago just drinking Slimfast. As soon as she started eating solid food, all of the weight came back.

I'd suggest just replacing one meal a day and then learn how to eat appropriately the rest of the time. I'm trying that doing Shakeology for breakfast and then following the 21 Day Fix for the other meals.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have tried many diets and either I don't lose or I am so hungry that I give up on them..

I love to drink my meals and think I could stick to this if I lose weight doing it..

A quick fix is not going to keep weight off and in the end a lot but not all gain back more weight than they originally lost.

Have the smoothie but make it a mid morning or mid afternoon snack in addition to eating 3 balanced meals daily.
Long term weight loss is a complete lifestyle change not just a few weeks of "behaving", eat balanced meals with good snacks, eat often within your daily calorie consumption, move more with some form of exercise.
You don't need to go to the gym and work out for 3 hours everyday, that is excessive. A minimum of 20 minutes per day of some form of exercise. Walk on a treadmill 2 miles, go for a walk in the park for 2 miles, do yoga, Tai Chi or some form of stretching and bending but don't over do it.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 AM

33 posts, read 46,253 times
I will suggest you to follow juicing diet plan. It really works. Juices are very good for weight loss.I prefer juices for weight loss more than smoothies. Juices are best for weight loss. According to me the best method of juicing is to prepare fresh juice. Not only does it taste miles better, the nutritional benefits far surpass that of canned or bottled juice.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:04 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Check out the documentary Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead. Then discuss with your doctor.

You dont have to be as extreme as these folks were. All I can say is I lost over 50 pounds with a modified version of the precepts these folks preached. Weight still off.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Juicing and blending are two different approaches to weight loss, while you may have some short lived success using either of the two methods they are unsustainable as a means to keep the weight off.Your regular lifestyle is what conspires against you, change that if you want to permanently lose weight.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing-vs-blending-facts/

Old 01-07-2015, 02:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to change your lifestyle. If you can live on juice/smoothies/protein drinks forever...go for it. But that's what it will take to keep the weight off if you lose it this way.

Just like if you lose weight low-carbing. If you want to keep the weight off you have to continue low carbing. As soon as you stop, you will gain it back.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to change your lifestyle. If you can live on juice/smoothies/protein drinks forever...go for it. But that's what it will take to keep the weight off if you lose it this way.

Just like if you lose weight low-carbing. If you want to keep the weight off you have to continue low carbing. As soon as you stop, you will gain it back.
Exactly, which is why fad diets never work out.

I doubt you will be juicing the rest of your life, so how do you plan on living your life on reduced calories compared to what you eat now? Of course you were hungry when you started reducing your calories (whether by counting calories or reducing carb intake...it all leads to the same place: lower calorie intake), you are used to overeating so anything less will make you feel hungry. You can't go on overeating or you will be overweight. To put it bluntly, you need to get through that adjustment period where you WILL feel hungry. You aren't used to allowing yourself to get hungry. Your body will adjust but you have to wait it out.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
I have tried many diets and either I don't lose or I am so hungry that I give up on them.
Snack on cashews and add avocado to your salads. Use small amounts of salad dressing. Fats are more satisfying than sugars and carbs so you won't feel so hungry.

I've lost weight by eating lots of cashews, lots of banana on whole grain bread and lots of avocado. Zero refined or added sugar and zero potato or rice and zero refined grains. My dinner comprises lean meat and mixed raw salad with dressing and avocado This is not a weight loss diet - this is a lifestyle. It's how I am going to eat forever. I don't hungry between meals. I never break the rules.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

Once you go back to eating 'real food' you will more than likely gain it all back and then some. Slow and steady wins the race. Eat whole, fresh foods. Stay away from simple carbs. Eat good fats and up your protein. You can of course have a smoothie/juice for a meal replacement as long as it is one that you make yourself. No preservatives or sugar that way. Protein powder is a good idea, but be careful with other ingredients with it as the calories can add up fast. At 57 and female your weight loss will come at a crawl. But it will come. Patience and determination will get you to your goal. Shoot for a pound a week but be happy at any loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss