Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

145 posts, read 185,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I just find a very structured eating plan to be advantageous for health reasons. I eat 3 meals a day....no other food/calories are consumed.

breakfast 8 - 9 am
lunch 12 - 1 pm
dinner 4 - 5 pm

No, I ain't no supermodel......but my structured eating keeps me from having to ride around in a fatcart.

Another way to look at it is that your scheduled eating pattern is keeping you fat.

If you have given up trying to lose weight, you should not post with authority to others who are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nothing has been proven by a scheduled fast. If it has been proven I will retract that statement. First you must produce evidence that it does work, as in peer reviewed. You liked a book you read and it worked for you. It may work for others as well. But its really not the answer for everyone. If it worked for everyone people would be doing it. There are lots of different ways to lose weight and many more ways to gain it all back. Just hawking another gimmick is not going to help anyone.

Read the first chapter on kindle- it's free.

If you want testimonials, there they are.

Why the hostility on an approach that costs absolutely nothing and anyone can do?

Are you trying to lose weight, or have you given up?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Read the first chapter on kindle- it's free.

If you want testimonials, there they are.

Why the hostility on an approach that costs absolutely nothing and anyone can do?

Are you trying to lose weight, or have you given up?
Just about any diet book will have testimonials. You just happen to be taken in by this one and it works for you. I lost weight following WW 7 years ago and have been maintaining my weight. I eat what I want when I want. Breakfast is a HUGE part of day since I work out in the morning and I need fuel.
I have no hostility, you just keep preaching this book like it is the end all be all when it is just another OPINION.
WW does not work for everyone, Paleo does not work for everyone, fasting in the morning is certainly not going to work for everyone.
What does work is common sense. Fasting in the morning and learning to be okay with feeling hungry is only going to appeal to a very small minority of people. In other words, its just another gimmick.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM

"Fasting in the morning and learning to be okay with feeling hungry is only going to appeal to a very small minority of people. In other words, its just another gimmick."

Ouch!

You don't get it.

I think you don't want to get it.

The brain changes. People stop being obsessed with food. Learned behavior. Eating a lunch and dinner will keep you alive and able to watch television just fine.

Well, what can I say? The breakfast food industry thanks you for your loyalty and unswerving devotion in stuffing yourself full of food every morning. You are supporting the economy and are a testament to the power of advertising.

Just a general question for everyone:

Have you ever been eating breakfast and think "Why am I doing this? Am I really that hungry? Do I REALLY need this crap?"

Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Nope. My first meal of the day, does, and has previously, occurred, shortly after I first feel hungry for the day. That has always been within 2 hours of waking up, whenever that waking up moment happens to be. In the recent 5-10 years, that moment has typically been some time before 9 in the morning, which means I would typically eat some time before 11 in the morning. Usually I wake up around 7, so my first meal of the day would occur at some point before 9 in the morning.

I stop eating by 7 at night, and so my first meal of the day is usually between 12 and 15 hours after the last meal of the day before.

If you want to call it fasting, go ahead and call it fasting. It helps you justify your existence, and hey - a few people have some burning need to justify their existence.

I call it: eating dinner at a reasonable hour, getting 8 hours of sleep a few hours after dinner, and waking up at a normal hour of the morning to start the next day. Most people who eat at a reasonable hour, get 7-8 hours sleep a few hours after dinner, and wake up at a normal hour of the morning, oddly enough, call it the same thing.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Nope. My first meal of the day, does, and has previously, occurred, shortly after I first feel hungry for the day. That has always been within 2 hours of waking up, whenever that waking up moment happens to be. In the recent 5-10 years, that moment has typically been some time before 9 in the morning, which means I would typically eat some time before 11 in the morning. Usually I wake up around 7, so my first meal of the day would occur at some point before 9 in the morning.

I stop eating by 7 at night, and so my first meal of the day is usually between 12 and 15 hours after the last meal of the day before.

If you want to call it fasting, go ahead and call it fasting. It helps you justify your existence, and hey - a few people have some burning need to justify their existence.

I call it: eating dinner at a reasonable hour, getting 8 hours of sleep a few hours after dinner, and waking up at a normal hour of the morning to start the next day. Most people who eat at a reasonable hour, get 7-8 hours sleep a few hours after dinner, and wake up at a normal hour of the morning, oddly enough, call it the same thing.
Are you trying to lose weight- that's the question.

Or are you overweight and just given up?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to lose weight- that's the question.

Or are you overweight and just given up?
My goal isn't to lose weight. My goal is to be fit. The weight loss is one of the side-effects of getting fit. Weight-wise, I could probably lose up to 25 pounds before I got concerned about being too thin. Technically I'm overweight, but not obese. My BMI (if you think these things are worth the cost of the machines that display it) is something like 21. Nothing impressive, but not especially dismal either. I can leg-press 210 pounds, I just increased my pull-downs to 85 pounds, underneath a good 2 inches of belly fat, my abdominals are rock-hard muscle, my butt has started to get less flat and wide and now has some lift and roundness to it, my boobs - well there's not much I can do about those, I've been "full" there since I was a kid and weighed only 110 pounds in my stocking feet. But they're not as saggy as those of other women who weigh less than me, so I think I'm doing a pretty good job keeping the girls supported.

My waist curves very decisively inward, my calves are exquisite, I have definition in my shoulders and arms, and most of the sag under my arms is gone. Some of it will never go away - not because it was fat - but because I'm menopausal and losing some elasticity in my skin as a normal part of the aging process.

My doctor says I'm healthy. For me, being healthy is more important than being thin. What I'm recommending to EVERYONE trying to lose weight, is to stop putting weight as the focus. Make being FIT the focus. And being fit involves eating. It does not involved "not eating."

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM

So you are OK with being obese.

Your call. There is no such thing as being obese and healthy- your risk factors for a gazillion really bad things are high.

You should not be giving advice to people who want to sincerely lose weight.

You should not criticize approaches based on hard science- especially ones that cost nothing to the participant.

You seem to post a lot.

My excuse is that I am stuck at an airport.

What's yours?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM

This thing right here -
Quote:
Technically I'm overweight, but not obese.
Something wrong with your brain, that you're incapable of noticing that is specifies that I'm not obese. Either that, or you're just making things up to be hurtful instead of addressing the actual topic - which is a particular diet called The Doctor's Diet.

Have a safe flight.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
"Fasting in the morning and learning to be okay with feeling hungry is only going to appeal to a very small minority of people. In other words, its just another gimmick."

Ouch!

You don't get it.

I think you don't want to get it.

The brain changes. People stop being obsessed with food. Learned behavior. Eating a lunch and dinner will keep you alive and able to watch television just fine.

Well, what can I say? The breakfast food industry thanks you for your loyalty and unswerving devotion in stuffing yourself full of food every morning. You are supporting the economy and are a testament to the power of advertising.

Just a general question for everyone:

Have you ever been eating breakfast and think "Why am I doing this? Am I really that hungry? Do I REALLY need this crap?"
I get it, its a gimmick. Why are you so gung ho about this diet anyway? Are you getting a percentage on the book sales?
Oh I love the breakfast food industry conspiracy theory too. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss