Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

The breakfast food industry conspiracy is obvious to me, though I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, just a strategy to sell more food.

If I eat dinner at 7, I eat breakfast at 7 the next day. If I eat dinner at 10, I might wait till noon to break my fast. Both are useful approaches depending on what I'm trying to do. I don't understand why one has to be right and one wrong. For the record, I associate the early dinner, early breakfast pattern more with losing weight*. But that's just my experience, and it's not like I gain weight when I break my fast at noon and only eat two meals a day.

*I don't eat breakfast like most people, though. I eat four eggs and save the carbs for a few hours later when I have a light lunch. This might have something to do with it. Or not. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I get it, its a gimmick. Why are you so gung ho about this diet anyway? Are you getting a percentage on the book sales?
That's what I was thinking. Odd how he slams every diet and eating plan except this one, which he keeps pushing.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
I just wanted to post back - yes, it sounds easy to just eat less, exercise more. But when you have chemistry working against you, it makes it 10x harder. Unfortunately, my thyroid was removed out in 2006 (long story in itself), but I've been lucky to have only added 20 pounds and that also includes giving up cigarettes after my come to Jesus surgery. (I'm 5'5" and weigh 148) What got my attention on this book was the chemistry portion of it and how to correct certain cravings and what certain foods trigger in the brain. It starts off with a 2 week, rather strict menu and slowly starts introducing different food types, so you can distinguish the what's driving your challenges. The rest is 100% common sense, which I can always use more of. I'm already on a high protein, low sugar, low carb diet, drinking (almost) nothing but water (have my coffee) and have stepped up exercise. Short of upping my meds or breaking out the crack, this is all I can think of to do.

.............................and the crack crack was just that.

I'll be back later to read the pages that came out of nowhere in my absence.

I ordered the book from both Walmart and Barnes and Noble, only to be told by both after collecting my money it's on back order. Shame on both of them.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I just wanted to post back - yes, it sounds easy to just eat less, exercise more. But when you have chemistry working against you, it makes it 10x harder. Unfortunately, my thyroid was removed out in 2006 (long story in itself), but I've been lucky to have only added 20 pounds and that also includes giving up cigarettes after my come to Jesus surgery. (I'm 5'5" and weigh 148) What got my attention on this book was the chemistry portion of it and how to correct certain cravings and what certain foods trigger in the brain. It starts off with a 2 week, rather strict menu and slowly starts introducing different food types, so you can distinguish the what's driving your challenges. The rest is 100% common sense, which I can always use more of. I'm already on a high protein, low sugar, low carb diet, drinking (almost) nothing but water (have my coffee) and have stepped up exercise. Short of upping my meds or breaking out the crack, this is all I can think of to do.

.............................and the crack crack was just that.

I'll be back later to read the pages that came out of nowhere in my absence.

I ordered the book from both Walmart and Barnes and Noble, only to be told by both after collecting my money it's on back order. Shame on both of them.
If you're taking synthroid (or its equivalent) you shouldn't be gaining ANY weight as a result of the thyroid removal. Synthetic thyroid replaces what your body can no longer produce. Assuming you are appropriately medicated, thyroid removal is not a justifiable excuse (much as many of us would like it to be).

But, at 5'5" and 148 pounds, you're not doing bad. Giving up cigarettes can *definitely* lead to overeating, and overeating definitely leads to weight gain. You'll want to try and find new things to do with your hands that doesn't involve bringing them to your mouth. It sounds simple but I know it isn't even a little bit easy.

Also, just for your own piece of mind, make sure you have your thyroid tested at least once a year, including the Free T3 and T4, not just the TSH. If the numbers don't fall within a normal range (which is a very narrow range) then you might need your meds adjusted.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Another way to look at it is that your scheduled eating pattern is keeping you fat.

If you have given up trying to lose weight, you should not post with authority to others who are.

3 meals a day is making me FAT!

LMFAO, eating 7 meals a day is going to make me skinny!!!!!!!!

GREAT, I think I will start eating 20 meals a day.......7 of them at the Chinese Buffet. I should be supermodel thin in no time!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 PM

145 posts, read 186,016 times
not making you fat, keeping you fat.

take a chance

why not?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:57 AM

24 posts, read 29,610 times
I think everyone is different and different diet methods work for different people. Pick what's right for you and go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss