Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Perrier.

I am totally off soda by using Perrier for the carbonation

Now I drink neither.
Same here. I don't know why, but I love the fizziness, plus find it very thirst quenching. They have their own version of it at Trader Joe's that's cheaper

I drink just regular water all day at work and with meals. Probably 90% of what I drink is just plain water, but I do drink a couple cups of coffee every morning. There was a time when I drank a couple diet Pepsis every day, mainly for the caffeine. I don't really remember when I stopped drinking it, but it's been a few years.

We have out of town house guests right now (who aren't at all healthy people) and I'm shocked at all the soda they drink. From sun up to sun down, and then some.

I still drink soda on rare occassions. Like at the movies, I love it with a popcorn. But I go to the movies maybe 4 times a year. But I never buy it to have in the house. Our kids have never had it available to them and when they've tried it, thought it was gross lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But I miss that zing soda gives me. Suggestions?
I am the same way that is why I drink beer instead of other alcoholic drinks and drink fizzy water (carbonated) over "normal" water.

I used to drink a lot of soda perhaps a decade ago, including diet. Now, I have perhaps a handful over the course of an entire year. I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore and even a diet soda will really sweet to me. A normal soda...my teeth ache just thinking about it.

I do not recall making a conscious effort to "kick" soda. It just sort of happened but I suspect that economics had something to do with it. I started carrying water with me, filling up the bottle as needed. Before I knew it water and beer where the only things I drank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
snopes.com: The Dangers of Splenda
snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

But I'm not into diet soda either. I'll take a traditional Coke, a beer, or a Perrier.
Some people may legitimately have an adverse reaction to aspartame just like MSG gives some people migraines. Does that mean aspartame should be outright banned? No. But I think its prominence in the American diet is indicative of a larger problem at work. Artificial sweeteners were the answer to the "bad" sugar problem, that is the excessive consumption of sugary foods, increasing belt lines, and the raise in instances of diabetes. Aspartame said that it was okay to continue to consume junk food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
dumb ques....what is wrong with diet soda?

I am very athletic & weight isn't a huge issue for me. I like diet soda. Regular soda is too sweet for my taste.
You are athletic so therefore you are burning off your body's store of extra calories. Regular or diet soda may not be an issue for you. For those who do not get much physical activity and/or for those who continue to bring in more calories than they burn diet sodas have been shown to not help with weight reduction and instead seem to increase one's hunger for more food.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM

24 posts, read 29,599 times
I go on binges where I'll drink a lot of Pepsi and then won't touch it for a period of time. Not too healthy I know I'm working on this!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most of us know it is bad for us and certainly doesn't help in the battle of the bulge. google "dangers of diet soda" and there are endless articles about the subject. But I fear I am addicted. Food Lion has a diet orange drink with no caffeine which is only 72 cents (on sale) for 2 lt bottle. I've tried to cut back drastically allowing myself only about 8 ounces a day but what do I do for burp? I mean I am so used to that "give me something with burp in it" after dinner and not cause I ate too much. I'm trying only caffeine free iced tea but i sweeten it with Sweet and Low-about half a packet. But I miss that zing soda gives me. Suggestions?
Carbonated Water with a few orange slices in it.
Soda Stream for the carbonation only, not for the pop.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I have a Sodastream so I drink my share of diet soda, but I'm able to mix it a bit weaker so that it's no so sweet.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,063 times
I like plain water.

Nicotine was a hard addiction to break. I can't relate to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss