Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,127,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
gypsychick didn't say what kind of diabetes she has. She didn't say whether or not she's obese. She didn't say whether or not her diabetes is now under control as a result of her food choices, exclusively.
The vast majority of people have type 2 and type 2 diabetes can often be reversed, depending on how far its progressed, with healthful eating. In any case, he obviously made an assumption about what type of diabetes the other poster had.

I reckon that he has just as much of a right to promote his way of eating as those purposing "in moderation" claptrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The vast majority of people have type 2 and type 2 diabetes can often be reversed, depending on how far its progressed, with healthful eating. In any case, he obviously made an assumption about what type of diabetes the other poster had.

I don't think Type 2 Diabetes can be "reversed", it can be controlled with one's diet and exercise but if the diet and exercise changes the "reversal" reverses right back to uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't think Type 2 Diabetes can be "reversed", it can be controlled with one's diet and exercise but if the diet and exercise changes the "reversal" reverses right back to uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes.
Since type 2 diabetes is primarily caused by one's lifestyle the fact that symptoms will return once you revert to your previous lifestyle doesn't mean you haven't reversed the disease with diet. With a healthful diet many people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can maintain a healthful blood sugar level without the use insulin, that is, they are just like normal people. That to me sounds like a reversal of their disease.

The problem is that most people aren't prepared to make the necessarily dietary changes which require a lot more than "in moderation" and instead focus on diets that "manage" their symptoms (e.g., eating a low-carbohydrate diet).

Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Dairy - It may not kill you on it's own, but it's un-natural for adults of any species to drink. Anyone putting down a non-dairy diet is bringing emotion into their view.
Sure feels natural to me, and quite yummy! But then again, so is beer...

Old 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Since type 2 diabetes is primarily caused by one's lifestyle the fact that symptoms will return once you revert to your previous lifestyle doesn't mean you haven't reversed the disease with diet. With a healthful diet many people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can maintain a healthful blood sugar level without the use insulin, that is, they are just like normal people. That to me sounds like a reversal of their disease.

The problem is that most people aren't prepared to make the necessarily dietary changes which require a lot more than "in moderation" and instead focus on diets that "manage" their symptoms (e.g., eating a low-carbohydrate diet).

I know all about Type 2 Diabetes and the results of well documented diet and exercise along with the lack of insulin use.
My husband is Type 2 Diabetic and I do cook for him often and I do know exactly what he eats, when, where and how much.
I also know for a fact that his Type 2 diabetes is NOT REVERSED, it is CONTROLLED, these are two completely different things. (look up the definitions)

Most Type 2 Diabetics do not take insulin they can and do take other medications to help in the control of their blood sugar in addition to diet and exercise.

PS ~~ My husband has never been accused of being "normal"...

Old 05-14-2014, 04:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,845,992 times
Diabetes Type 2 is *primarily* caused by obesity, in people who are predisposed to it. Not all obese people get diabetes, and not all people with diabetes are obese. But the two *tend* to go hand-in-hand.

Diabetes 2 can be managed, as CSD calls it, "controlled." Proper diet and exercise can return health. This isn't a reversal, as User_ID seems to think, it doesn't make someone normal, it doesn't eliminate the diabetes.

In a person who does NOT have diabetes, if they ate a hot fudge sundae twice a week, they might get fat. But they probably won't get sick.

In a person who DOES have diabetes, if their insulin levels are normal and have been normal for - let's call it a whole year, thanks to proper diet and exercise...

if that person eats 2 hot fudge sundaes in a week, that person will get SICK. Why? Because he has diabetes. Not because those sundaes gave him diabetes. He had it for the whole year that his insulin levels were back to normal again. But they were normal ONLY because he had to eat in a special way that people who don't have diabetes don't have to eat.

People who don't have diabetes don't have to rely on specific dietary choices EVERY day of their lives, in order to maintain health. People who do have diabetes do. There's no falling off the wagon if you're diabetic. There's being actively sick, and there's being one hot fudge sundae away from being actively sick.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Diabetes Type 2 is *primarily* caused by obesity, in people who are predisposed to it. Not all obese people get diabetes, and not all people with diabetes are obese. But the two *tend* to go hand-in-hand.
Since obesity is primarily caused by diet even if we suppose this is true, and its not, its still true that diet is the primarily cause of type 2 diabetes. The same sort of diet that promotes insulin resistance (i.e., type 2 diabetes) also promotes obesity so diet is the common cause of both conditions, but you do see type 2 in normal weight people all the time where as you rarely see type 2 diabetes in people with truly healthful diets.

Quote:
if that person eats 2 hot fudge sundaes in a week, that person will get SICK. Why? Because he has diabetes. Not because those sundaes gave him diabetes.
Someone who has reversed their type 2 could eat a single sundae without any issue but if they ate them frequently their condition would return because sundaes are the sort of food that promote type 2 diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I also know for a fact that his Type 2 diabetes is NOT REVERSED, it is CONTROLLED, these are two completely different things. (look up the definitions)
His diabetes may have not reserved, I wouldn't know, but that doesn't mean you can't reverse type 2 diabetes. Like I said, if someone who had type 2 diabetes is able to maintain perfect blood sugar without the use of external insulin or other medications....in what sense have they not reversed their condition?

I'm not exactly pulling this out of thin air, there are a number of studies that have shown people can reverse type 2 diabetes with a healthful diet:

Reversing diabetes is possible - CNN.com
Neal Barnard, M.D. | Dr. Neal Barnard

Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
user_id, I recently read Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes because of a comment on this forum!
I'm gearing up for a 3 week trial. I don't have diabetes but my other is genetically predisposed and he needs to do something different or he will end up in really bad shape.
So one thing that impressed me about his diet is the amount of research done all over the world and the length of time (years) that trials have been done. It really explains the way animal fat clogs up the "locks" that the insulin "key" has to use to get glucose into the... well, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed about these things but I read the information, studied the results. He explains why some foods are addicting - all physiologically. It's an amazing book!
So my meat-eater man isn't anxious to start but after my business trip this week we are doing it.
I'm going to use the 7-day plan in the book to start off and develop my own recipes or get them online after that. I've snuck in some recipes and some are awesome, some not-so-much. But I've been avoiding animal fat for several days and I am feeling so much better. We're about to start back on a work-out program, too, getting back to where we were a year ago.
I love that book!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss