Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In all my years in pediatrics, I never heard of the bold.

I just looked at the pictures. I think that girl looks "just right". Her legs are slim. Her mom looks overweight; I wouldn't call her obese. I was expecting people who looked entirely different from the posts about both of them.
I just looked at the article now. Holy cow!!! These comments for those people? SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I view it as an initial screening. The school bringing awareness to parents. The parents can utilize this information as they see fit. It may inspire parents to consult with their pediatrician or think about their lifestyle and diet habits, etc.
The school is NOT using BMI as an initial screening. If you read the paper sent home with the child it says "Your BMI falls outside of a healthy weight." That is a diagnosis. BMI should not be sole metric used to diagnose overweight.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,687,324 times
She doesn't look that fat to me.

When I was in year 5 at school I think it was (age 9-10) we did an IT project where we all got weighed. That girl is 66lbs which is 30KG and I remember in our class the fattest girl weighed 60KG and the thinnest weighed 22KG.It's a good thing our teacher didn't weight himself because the scales would have exploded.

The girl is pretty short for her weight though.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
I'm saying that professionally, as an RN, I never heard that you should be able to see kids' ribs.

@Hopes-there are lots of such articles here in the US, at least in the professional literature.
'Not my child:' Most parents fail to recognize if their child is overweight -- ScienceDaily (From the University of Nebraska)
Childhood obesity: do parents recognize this health... [Obes Res. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI (From the NIH)
Many Parents Don't See Child Obesity (WebMD, a general publication; Lead author is from the University of Michigan)
That might explain why even health care professionals sometimes don't perceive weight correctly, if no one is telling them the correct things to look for.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we're all a bunch of idiots with no education regarding obesity! The BBC reporters know better!
That wasn't a dig so please don't get defensive. Studies have shown that, and the fact that you hadn't heard that bit of information before explains why some health professionals don't know - they just don't hear it. Not having heard a piece of information doesn't make you an idiot, I hadn't heard about it either until a year or so ago, doesn't make me an idiot either.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That might explain why even health care professionals sometimes don't perceive weight correctly, if no one is telling them the correct things to look for.
That's right, we're all ignorant! I think that doctor was misquoted.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
That's right, we're all ignorant! I think that doctor was misquoted.
Possibly the doctor was misquoted but it seems about right to me considering when I was a kid I remember being able to see the ribs of me, my brothers and most of my friends, so it was normal which would fit with it being a sign of a normal weight in a child.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Possibly the doctor was misquoted but it seems about right to me considering when I was a kid I remember being able to see the ribs of me, my brothers and most of my friends, so it was normal which would fit with it being a sign of a normal weight in a child.
There's nothing about being able to see ribcages that makes it the primary criteria to determine whether or not a person looks healthy.

On this wiki page, there is a photograph of a kid whose ribcage is visible - and whose stomach bulges out as if she were obese.

Take a look at that photo, then come back here and tell me you still feel that "if you can see their ribcage, it means they're a normal weight."

My opinion: if you can see their ribcage, it means you can see their ribcage. I can see my upper ribs just fine and I'm 20 pounds overweight.
Starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's nothing about being able to see ribcages that makes it the primary criteria to determine whether or not a person looks healthy.

On this wiki page, there is a photograph of a kid whose ribcage is visible - and whose stomach bulges out as if she were obese.

Take a look at that photo, then come back here and tell me you still feel that "if you can see their ribcage, it means they're a normal weight."

My opinion: if you can see their ribcage, it means you can see their ribcage. I can see my upper ribs just fine and I'm 20 pounds overweight.
Starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its more along the lines that if you can't see their ribs then they are overweight, not that if you can see their ribs they are a normal weight.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
If based on those pictures you think that girl is even slightly overweight then you are mentally ill or retarded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss