Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM

818 posts, read 917,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But OP, you haven't answered any of our questions about who it is you're so concerned about. Is it a gf? Someone you've just begun dating? An LTR? Spouse? A cousin or other relative? Was she overweight when you met her, or did she gain weight after you'd been with her awhile? Do you really think she needs you to tell her she needs to get in shape? Don't you think she knows?

And: what does "she needs to lose weight" mean? She needs to lose weight if she wants to keep you as a bf? So is "you need to lose weight" a veiled threat? She needs to lose weight to be healthy? Many overweight people are perfectly healthy, btw. All their medical indications are in the perfect range.

We don't know enough about your situation to be able to give you sound, relevant advice tailored to your (and her) circumstances. If you want people to take you seriously and give you their best shot at advice, you need to participate more fully in your thread.
No one in particular , the last woman I dated ( "bank stalker " ) was 30 + lbs over weight ( I never considered bringing it up to her. ) . I have a sister that needs to drop 50 + lbs, several co workers . They all come to me and ask what do you eat, how much do you exercise, etc. I tell them but if I make one peep further they get offended. I go out of my way to try and not be rude or pushy but they seem to take it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
No one in particular , the last woman I dated ( "bank stalker " ) was 30 + lbs over weight ( I never considered bringing it up to her. ) . I have a sister that needs to drop 50 + lbs, several co workers . They all come to me and ask what do you eat, how much do you exercise, etc. I tell them but if I make one peep further they get offended. I go out of my way to try and not be rude or pushy but they seem to take it that way.
Oh, you're bank-stalker-guy, lol! Well, this post really clarifies a lot. About all you can do in situations like that is answer their questions, and say you heard that this or that diet (low-carb, whatever) works great. Or you could say that once, when you had to lose weight, you did the Paleo diet, and it worked great. But idk these women, they may take offense if you mention weight loss at all, so...whatever. Trial and error, test the waters.

RE: exercise, you could tell them that building lean muscle mass helps burn fat (or instead of "fat" you could say "calories"). They might find that helpful.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
What exactly does the "one peep" entail? If you just answer their questions that should be enough and they shouldn't get offended. But if you continue by telling them to lay off such and such food/drink they always have then that could rub them the wrong way.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
so, I may as well get her a chainsaw and not insult her weight??

see, men can learn!!
Under no circumstances should you ever insult her weight AND get her a chainsaw.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Dude. If this is about your SISTER, don't post it in the Romantic forum! Sisters are completely different.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
What exactly does the "one peep" entail? If you just answer their questions that should be enough and they shouldn't get offended. But if you continue by telling them to lay off such and such food/drink they always have then that could rub them the wrong way.
Yes, exactly, many times it's not what a person say, but how they say it. The less said, in many cases, the better.

Unless someone is a personal trainer or nutritionist common sense would say to stay away from this subject, so one doesn't embarrase themself and put their foot in their mouth.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,646 times
Was she overweight when you started dating or is this new weight she's gained? Is the weight in any way shape or form related to bearing YOUR child/ren?
I would just start making lifestyle changes as a couple and not even have an official conversation.

random.....but as a plus size woman, I always found it comical that guys would start dating me and then a few weeks/months into the relationship try and have the "weight loss" talk with me, as if I wasn't overweight from day 1?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
From a foxhole with a bullhorn????

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Major reason for teenage girls developing eating disorders right here: Daddy's body-shaming. ^^^^^
I grew up in a home where we regularly discussed exercise and eating well so that we didn't get fat. Instead, I've maintained a healthy body weight for my entire life.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
From a foxhole with a bullhorn????

Too risky. Ill play it safe and email her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss