Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 01:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,292,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regirock View Post
Simple. instead of eating of 5 cheeseburgers, you eat 4 until u stop losing weight. Then decrease the number of cheesburgers you eat until you reach the desired weight. It's called being at a caloric deficit. Nutrition 101
I think this answer proves that you aren't mature enough for this discussion thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Where am I fat bashing?

So we've reached a point in society where not wanting a parter of a different race/culture is racist and not wanting an overweight partner is fat bashing? ok.
Would this be a good place to point out your thread where you said black and white Americans are mostly lazy fatasses? You also said that you might prefer to marry a foreigner so your marriage would last longer, which answers one of your other questions in this thread.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM

877 posts, read 1,321,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I tend to agree with what you're saying here, but I think that a good first step is always to try to eliminate junk food, access to junk food, get a bit more exercise of some sort, etc.

I agree it's not "the answer," but what I see on here plenty of times are people finding someone and thinking "she'd be perfect if she only lost X pounds."

Um... no. She was fine before you met her and someone else will like her with X pounds on her and won't make her feel like crap for being herself.

I do agree that people need to research diet and fitness and not just go on anecdotes and crap they read on Buzzfeed. Absolutely. I don't do low carb, but I do lower carb than most people. It does take weight off. Anything that's processed is something I eat rarely, and I am the sort who will go out for a cheeseburger and either eat the bun and skip the fries, or eat half the bun and a few fries. I have realized that I tend to find sweets VERY sweet because I don't eat them very often (unless you count organic oatmeal cookies and dark chocolate... even those things are eaten VERY sparingly).

Soo... if I go to a nice restaurant with my husband, do we get dessert? Hell yes. We split one.

Do I eat dessert every night? If you count a small square of dark chocolate and some fruit? I reckon. If dessert means ice cream and cake? Good grief. No.
Exactly, simple changes are what it takes to kickstart weight loss. Learning to eat in moderation. For a lot of overweight people, eliminating some of the junk foods they snack on and replace them with fruits/vegetables can help them lose the first few pounds.

If a person has a lot of weight to lose, there is obviously MORE to it.

But one doesn't have to study or research anything to know that hey, a bag of potato chips isn't nutritious.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,493,805 times
Quote:
Exactly, simple changes are what it takes to kickstart weight loss. Learning to eat in moderation. For a lot of overweight people, eliminating some of the junk foods they snack on and replace them with fruits/vegetables can help them lose the first few pounds.

If a person has a lot of weight to lose, there is obviously MORE to it.

But one doesn't have to study or research anything to know that hey, a bag of potato chips isn't nutritious.
Weight isn't just about "the weight" for everyone.
The reasons are not as simple as "just eat less you dummy!" In every situation....for some it's a change in mental health that is needed to "kick start" their weight loss.

One cannot change without the other.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,664,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
You can
do it
Pack and walk out
She already knows why
This will help her
Talking will not

Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 PM

18 posts, read 18,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I think this answer proves that you aren't mature enough for this discussion thread.
No im being serious. Dramatic changes in someones diet is the reason why most people cant lose weight. Small changes in ones diet and having it accumalate throughout the year will result in better long term consistency. The key to weight loss is CALORIC DEFICIT regardless of food choices.

Iv had my sister lose nearly 100 pounds 225 to 135 within two years using this method. She went from eating 2500 kcals to 1500 kcals.

7,400 posts, read 6,398,303 times
Quote:
Where am I fat bashing?

So we've reached a point in society where not wanting a parter of a different race/culture is racist and not wanting an overweight partner is fat bashing? ok.
Let's be intellectually honest. Not all preferences are without some sort of prejudice, and some are truly just preferences.

There's a big, big difference between recognizing an issue and addressing it with sound, supported data in a matter-of-fact and direct way, and spewing dogma, verbiage, based on assumptions of one's character.

One approach uses the data, the research, as the basis of their position. Sound data and research doesn't come packaged with thinly veiled insults and a superiority complex. A study on the physiologic effects of insulin and leptin and their role in weight gain/loss doesn't attempt to make assumptions about people's characters. It doesn't say "You people just need to be active and watch what you eat. Eat healthy." What generic, ambiguous advice that is.

It's as generic and nonsensical as a religionist or preaching telling people to stop sinning. Oh, well, what sins do you speak of? Baptist interpretation of sins, Methodist, Episcopalian, Catholic, Unitarian, Quaker? I mean, they all, 35,000, have their own view or idea of what constitutes "sin." So, whose advice does one follow? There are soooo many "experts" out there with varying beliefs.

Wading through the garbage is key, and how does one do that if they've been fed hogwash and nonsense for a long time? Many don't realize what they say, their diction, can not only come off as insults, but they're also naive because the presume to know the real issue when they simply don't.

Don't make baseless assumptions about people's character and use thinly veiled insults and you won't be called out on your own biases.

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
A grudge? Weird, I thought it was just having a memory. I brought it up because you tried the "Who, ME?" approach when someone else pointed out how insensitive you were being. No worries, I think it's pretty clear by now what kind of poster you are.

Let me guess what's next ... ooh, an attack on my ability to read.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,180,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Because your partner loves you?

I'm sure you're one of those who would leave a loved one who gotten cancer or some terminal illness :*(
Lol, come on bro. I usually agree with you, but that's a stretch to compare somebody being fat(which for the most part you have control over) and somebody getting cancer. I think most responsible, level headed people would not leave their significant other if they got cancer. I think there are A LoT of people out there who would leave their SO or at the very least be turned off by someone who gained a lot of weight and didn't show any concern or care about the weight gain. I remember a guy I used to work with told me he told his wife that if she were to ever get in a bad accident or something like that and she were to be maimed and have her limbs torn off, he would stick by her. But that if she ever got fat he would leave her.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM

877 posts, read 1,321,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Weight isn't just about "the weight" for everyone.
The reasons are not as simple as "just eat less you dummy!" In every situation....for some it's a change in mental health that is needed to "kick start" their weight loss.
I'm not insinuating that they're dummies. I've already acknowledged that there may be more to it than that.

But living with an enabler isn't going to change that (assuming it's mental). I have a friend with PCOS and she'd always been 100+ lbs overweight.
And then in high school she joined drill team and along with that I think she went gluten free (personal choice) and she actually lose 100+ lbs. It took a few years, but she did and was and is very proud of herself.

And if someone has an addiction to food they need to address that. If it's not a food addiction they'll turn their attention to something else.

But I see nothing wrong with encouraging them to seek treatment for that. And I hope no one else would see anything wrong with encouraging. I wonder if he'd made the thread about encouraging someone to seek treatment for food addiction, if he'd still get the responses he's getting.

I want to say yes because what a lot of folks are taking issue with seems to be whether it's about health versus appearance. Because some are saying they wouldn't even accept a claim about health being the main concern.

And a lot of the responses are based on whether or not OP is even in a serious relationship with said woman. In which case I never even said it would be appropriate for him to bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss