Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,384,734 times

Advertisements

Snapea Crisps | Made With 70% All-Natural Peas | Healthy Snacks

this is not an ad, I have been trying to lose weight and instead of eating chips ive been munching on these, its not deep fried and its a vegetable, BUT, when i use a napkin and press on these, oil comes out so it might be not as good as what i think it is.

should i avoid this or? I find myself eating a lot of this as i think its a better option than chips, so i think in the end i end up more fatter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 AM

283 posts, read 386,377 times
Don't snack. High carb snacks will only make you hungrier and pack away the carbs into fat cells.

"snack" on nuts, raw veggies, beef jerky, deli meat, avocado, hard boiled eggs, or slather butter on ryecrisps. Berries, apples, and other high fiber fruit sparingly.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM

283 posts, read 386,377 times
How about you have some snappea crisps along with a slice of cheese or something else that is satiating? I'm not opposed to starchy snacks entirely, but pair a handful of chips or something else with something that has protein (greek yogurt, raw broccoli, etc). This will make you feel full. Remember, you mentioned that you eat more snappea crisps than chips. That means the starchy snacks aren't filling you up and you're now compelled to ingest more insulin spiking fat packing calories.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

this is not an ad, I have been trying to lose weight and instead of eating chips ive been munching on these, its not deep fried and its a vegetable, BUT, when i use a napkin and press on these, oil comes out so it might be not as good as what i think it is.

should i avoid this or? I find myself eating a lot of this as i think its a better option than chips, so i think in the end i end up more fatter
Avoid them if you can.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,441,001 times
Quote:

Yeah, I say avoid them as well.

It isn't really a good idea to be snacking if you are trying to lose weight, but here are a few healthier options for you if you MUST snack:

Air popped popcorn with garlic powder, parmesean cheese (just a bit) and cayenne pepper
Raw Almonds
Broccoli
Cottage cheese with almonds and craisins
Almond butter and low sugar jelly on whole wheat bread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 AM

18 posts, read 20,447 times
I do eat them very rarely but only as a "treat". They are not my trigger food so having them about three times a year is ok for me. Just remember tho that all treats are to be included in your food plan too. I wish you well on your journey to wellness! :-)

Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:

What does the label tell you and how do they fall within your daily dietary limits and requirements?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 AM

877 posts, read 1,318,425 times
Not healthy, but they're a slightly healthier alternative to a bag of doritos.

That said, if I dare eat one, all hell breaks loose. Better safe than sorry for me and my lack of self control.

So with sandwiches (as an example), I'll eat cut up red bell pepper slices, carrot sticks, sliced cucumber...or even slices of a granny smith apple.

I try to reach for a piece of fruit or vegetable before giving into a craving (not that I'd crave snap pea crisps or chips though).

I look at it this way: What nutritional benefits come from the snap pea crisps? What other options will provide my body with the nutrients it needs to remain energized throughout my workout and the day while at work? Which options will keep me full? If I'm being vain, which will support healthier hair and skin?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:01 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
Rather than whether it's a healthy snack, what you should be wondering is how many calories, fat and carbohydrates does this item have? Will it satisfy my hunger? By how much will it increase my calorie intake for the day? Does it fit into my weight loss plan?

And, if you don't have a weight loss plan, that would be the first thing to figure out.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM

179 posts, read 248,538 times
I wouldn't worry about the oil per se. Oil is not the enemy, you need some oils to help absorb some vitamins. But I would echo those who have suggested more protein, less starch and fit it into your calorie allotment. For thos snacky times, I'll often use some kind of baked cracker and some hummus spread - getting some good protein and feeling like I'm eating more good food than crappy diet substitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss