Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,796,058 times

Advertisements

Yep, skinnaaay and loving it, keep the carbs. Down four dress sizes in nine months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM

23,663 posts, read 24,215,779 times
I do a "light carb" diet. I don't entirely eliminate carbs, but reduce them. I can still maintain a healthy weight and diet.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,450,449 times
I have cut down on carbs, but not totally. I now eat brown rice instead of white, and I only eat Nature's Own wheat bread. It doesn't have preservatives and is high in fiber. I still like my potatoes once in a while though. Otherwise, I eat a lot of fish, chicken, fruits and vegetables with an occasional steak.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 PM

29,533 posts, read 22,797,163 times
Yea I cannot give up carbs. Maybe it's just me but I have more energy and less grumpy eating carbs. I also switch it up by eating brown rice once in a while and eating more complex carbs like oatmeal. I do eat a lot of wheat bread instead of white bread.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 PM

32 posts, read 112,226 times
I have tried low crab diet it help to avoid extra calories. I cut down sugar, rice and cold drinks from my daily calories because i want to lose weight fast and be fit soon, I also doing yoga and some other exercise.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,571,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronit View Post
I have tried low crab diet it help to avoid extra calories. I cut down sugar, rice and cold drinks from my daily calories because i want to lose weight fast and be fit soon, I also doing yoga and some other exercise.
I could never do a low crab diet. I love crab! (sorry couldn't resist)

Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,935 times
When you guys do low carb diets, what exactly do you do? I am trying one... basically I am only restricting things like refined carbs (very few breads, pastas, etc... and anything processed). But I am not going full blown no carbs or anything and I am really not counting anything.

For example, I made a beef stew for dinner for a few days and it has beef, carrots, green beans, potatoes, onions, and peas in it and it's in a tomato base. A lot of those veggies are higher in carbs (especially potatoes) but I figure they are pretty much unprocessed and okay. I have no idea how many carbs my stew has.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,955,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It seems like the low carb diet is back in the news lately. I remember the low carb craze back in the early 2000's, I went on one in 2002 during the summer. It worked well, but I felt grumpy some of the time.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/low-car...452625427.html
The health benefits of a low carb diet are:

1. Greater weight loss than on a low fat diet. Of course you can lose weight on a low fat diet but people tend to lose more on a low carb diet. Weight loss in obese individuals is the factor that most significantly decreases risk of cardiovascular disease.

2. You may lose more abdominal fat on a low carb diet than on a low fat diet. Abdominal fat is more active and more harmful than fat in the legs or buttocks.

3. Less hunger while reducing weight on a low carb diet may lead to higher compliance.

4. Insulin and glucose levels are decreased on a low carb diet. This is important for both diabetic and non diabetic people. Low carb diets also decrease insulin resistance which is a good thing for anyone who is obese.

5. Triglycerides decrease more on a low carb diet than a low fat diet. Triglycerides generally decrease when people lose weight however, they decrease more on a low carb diet than on a low fat diet.

6. LDL particles shifted from small to large on low carb diets compared to large to small on low fat diets.

Here are some studies that have been published in well respected, peer reviewed journals. Some only allow you to view the abstract without a subscription. There are lots of other studies out there.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/...jc.2002-021480
JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat: *A Randomized Trial
http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S0002.../abstract?cc=y
MMS: Error
Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet - Springer

Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,955,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When you guys do low carb diets, what exactly do you do? I am trying one... basically I am only restricting things like refined carbs (very few breads, pastas, etc... and anything processed). But I am not going full blown no carbs or anything and I am really not counting anything.

For example, I made a beef stew for dinner for a few days and it has beef, carrots, green beans, potatoes, onions, and peas in it and it's in a tomato base. A lot of those veggies are higher in carbs (especially potatoes) but I figure they are pretty much unprocessed and okay. I have no idea how many carbs my stew has.
One thing you should do is to find out your personal carb tolerance. The best way to do that is to start with a very low number (around 20 or 30) net carbs per day. Net carbs are Total carbs less fiber. Do one week at a very low number, then increase the number by 10 carbs per day each week until your weight starts to stabilize (you are no longer losing weight). At that point you will know what your personal carb tolerance is. Everyone is different.

In order to find out how many carbs are in your stew enter all the ingredients into Fitday or some other food diary. There are tons of free ones on the internet. Once you put in all the ingredients you will know how many carbs there are as well as how much fiber. Subtract the fiber from the carbs and divide that number by the number of servings of stew you made and then you know how many grams of carbs are in each serving.

Different people have different carb tolerances. You have to experiment with yourself to see what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss