Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Im still saying no on this. Its just something fat people like to say to explain away their fatness instead of facing it, or, instead of using the "im depressed" excuse.
You can debate whether overuse of sugar is an addiction or not but the fact is that many people, not just fat people, struggle to eat less sugar.

For the OP: I find that I have to cut sugar out of my diet completely. If I do that it is hell for a few days but then the cravings stop! It's like magic. If you stop eating sugar you stop wanting it. I have also cut out all grains, most fruit, and all sources of carbohydrates. I have lost 15 pounds without hunger and I just don't crave sugar all the time. Even if I stay fat it is worth eating this way to be fully in control of my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
My mother said it takes two weeks to break a habit and it seems to me she was correct. It's only a generality, though and I don't think it applies to quitting smoking. The urge to smoke didn't leave me in two weeks, but eventually it did. But, no matter how long it took I've still ended up with COPD. Maybe when it gets bad I'll say I regret the years I smoked, but since I enjoyed those years so much, I can't say it. I do know if I could quit anyone can because no one could have the addiction any worse than I. Nicotine ruled my life. If I attended a play, all I really wanted was to be in the lobby smoking. All these years after quitting it's wonderful to be in charge of myself.

The two weeks worked when I stopped biting my fingernails. I was 20 when that happened and I never resumed the habit.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I developed a sugar addiction when I quit smoking. I'm still trying to get over it, and am finding it extremely hard--just as hard as cigarettes, if not worse.

I spent 3 years in Weight Watchers having them tell me I can eat "anything I want in moderation". Needless to say, I didn't lose an ounce for all that money, and I'm thinking it's the worst thing you can say to someone with a food addiction. If I could moderate what I eat, I wouldn't have a problem, now would I? I just quit them last month and now need to work on reprogramming myself.

Next week, I am starting a "no flour/no sugar" diet, and am planning to stay on it for life. I think the key to success with it is not attempting to eat low fat, low calorie. At least, that's the advice I'm receiving from people who eat that way long term. You eat "real" food, and just cut out anything that is made with wheat flour or sugar. I'm also eliminating high sugar fruit, as like you, I can eat 2 lbs of grapes in one sitting. I'm not expecting it to be easy, but quitting smoking wasn't easy either and I did it.

As for how long it takes, I'll let you know when I get there, LOL However, I do know the first days (actually the 2nd for me) are always the hardest. After that, every day should get a little easier than the one before. When I quit smoking, I finally got to a point where I wasn't thinking about cigarettes anymore. But then one day out of the blue, I'd get a craving for one. It would throw me since I'd gone for months without ever thinking or desiring one. The key was not to break down and let the craving take me over. Let it pass and the next time it will be twice as long before the craving hits.

Don't know if any of that helps. Only thing I DO know is you're not alone!
I also wanted sugar all the time when I quit smoking (it will be three years in December). I ate bags of Jolly Ranchers the first couple of months. Eventually I started buying apples, and when I wanted something sweet I tried to eat an apple instead. That does not mean I didn't ever eat candy again--as a matter of fact, people have been bringing in candy crack, a/k/a candy corn, to the office all week, and I can't stay away from it. I cannot buy it for at home, because I will eat the entire bag and feel sick.

Weight Watchers didn't work for me. Too much thinking, and I was always hungry. It just wasn't enough food, and being hungry all the time just makes you think about food all the time.

Cutting out flour and sugar did work for me last year--I'd lost 22 pounds. It took about eight months, though. Then I had to go on prednisone for a serious medical problem, and that makes you eat constantly. I am being weaned off the prednisone now and working on losing the weight again.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Congrats on quitting smoking. I have someone I really care about giving up on quitting altogether. Honestly, I don't know how people do it. Just wanted to give you a huge high five!
Thanks!

But oooh, some really bad advice here not to mention one person with some obvious issues that I hope you just ignore.

I have done this before and it worked really well. The problem was, I thought I was "cured" and started eating sugar again. That was a mistake, and now I have to start over. But basically an Atkins style (or Paleo if you wish) is the best way IMO to get over sugar. You need fat and protein in your diet. Mind you, I'm not talking about replacing sugar with big macs. I'm talking about not trying to eat a low-fat diet. Use real butter. Include real cheese and full-fat yogurt. Stay away from low-fat salad dressings. When companies lower the fat in products it increases the sugar content. Low-fat eating also leaves you feeling empty and hungry. Eat carbs, but not processed foods with flour. Have rice or potatoes with your dinner. Stick to "real" food. If you eat fruit, make sure it's on the list of "low sugar" fruits, like apples.

I find when I do this, it takes several days but I start losing my cravings for sugar. I also find that I'm not as hungry, and start eating less of everything. But let that happen naturally. Spend the first several days just focusing on not eating sugar. I really believe that the low-fat diet contributes to hunger, which contributes to snacking, which leads us eventually to the cookies and chips. It's amazing how ALL my food cravings start to fade when I stay away from processed carbs. No more grumbling stomach when I wake up in the morning. I have more energy and I sleep better.

If you're like me, you've gotten your system out of whack. I think it's easy to do. On one end we're surrounded by unhealthy processed fast food. On the other end, we're surrounded by unhealthy processed diet food that is low in fat, high in sugar and just as bad IMO. The only way to get off the crazy train is to eat a diet that is strictly whole foods, not messed with by the food industry. And then we have to deprogram ourselves of all the bad diet rules we've been fed for years which got us into this mess in the first place.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can debate whether overuse of sugar is an addiction or not but the fact is that many people, not just fat people, struggle to eat less sugar.
Its a willpower and mental issue rather than a addiction. Next time you hear someone saying "I have a sugar addiction" ask them when it was diagnosed by a medical professional. They will say, "I....er...uh...I just think im addicted because I just love doughnuts and cant help myself around ice cream". That is the sign of a fatty who cant stop eating crappy foods. It has NOTHING to do with addiction.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Weight Watchers didn't work for me. Too much thinking, and I was always hungry. It just wasn't enough food, and being hungry all the time just makes you think about food all the time.
Congrats to you too on quitting smoking. In my experience of sitting in WW meetings for 3 years, it's a good program for people who need to lose 20-30 lbs. Even the two WW leaders in my group who lost 80+ lbs did it on other diets then switched to WW to maintain. Like you, I didn't like all the tracking and counting. Like you said, it forces you to obsess about food all day which I find counter-productive. They also push too much processed food. All their cookie bars, that are 2 points each, don't do me any good when I can't keep myself from sitting down and eating the whole box, LOL

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Its a willpower and mental issue rather than a addiction. Next time you hear someone saying "I have a sugar addiction" ask them when it was diagnosed by a medical professional. They will say, "I....er...uh...I just think im addicted because I just love doughnuts and cant help myself around ice cream". That is the sign of a fatty who cant stop eating crappy foods. It has NOTHING to do with addiction.
I wish you would find something useful to contribute here. The OP is looking for help in getting off sugar and I don't think it's useful to accuse him/her of being a fatty who can't control himself. Does it really matter whether the addiction is physical or mental? The result is the same.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:58 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I wish you would find something useful to contribute here. The OP is looking for help in getting off sugar and I don't think it's useful to accuse him/her of being a fatty who can't control himself. Does it really matter whether the addiction is physical or mental? The result is the same.
Its all about making better decisions and not making excuses and looking for support group to help you with your excuses by saying "I totally understand' or "I get it". Best help for many people like this is a big dose of reality and not hand holding and kumba ya.

Biggest excuses people make for when they are overweight:

1. "Oh, I have depression and my meds make me gain weight. That, and eating makes me feel better" - to this I say get out and exercise because its PROVEN to cure depression.

2. "Im fat because of my thyroids" - To this I say, oh really, when did your doctor diagnose you with this thyroid issue? Are you taking medication?

3. "Im addicted to sugar". To this I say BALONEY!! You just cant stop eating sugary, sweet, bad-for-you foods. Pick up a book on nutrition, start exercising and you will have NO DESIRE to eat crappy sugary foods again.

It really is very very simple. Go to the market, dont buy soda, dont buy fruit juices, dont get cupcakes, doughnuts, breads, cookies, etc. It works. As soon as your mind starts telling you "Oh, get these frosted vanilla cupcakes with the rainbow sprinkles", just say to yourself "NO, I need to eat healthy and lose weight for not only my own health, but also for my children who look up to me. Then go grab some avocados and spinach instead.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Im still saying no on this. Its just something fat people like to say to explain away their fatness instead of facing it, or, instead of using the "im depressed" excuse.

You do understand that someone who is overweight may be overweight for a myriad of reasons and not just over eating right?
For those who do not have food issues it is something that will never be understood by them.
I don't understand anyone forcing themselves to throw up to lose weight, personally I will do what I can to not throw up because I dislike it so much. So for me to voluntarily do this to myself is not going to happen and I will never understand why others do it.

The sugar addiction is the same as any other addiction, it is something that has to be done by the one with the addiction and if they don't have it they start going through withdrawal.
When one stops consuming caffeine or stops consuming as much caffeine as normal it is the same thing, withdrawal starts, headaches come with a vengeance, you are cranky, you are tired, you hurt for no particular reason. Then when your body adjusts to the different level of caffeine or none at all things even out but one small bit of caffeine can start the addiction all over again.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Generally speaking: One has to be properly motivated to actually become proactive and do something about any addiction they know they have and find a way which doesn't involve taking any meds.

I have gotten over my sugar addiction as well as other things at the same time however don't want to "toot my own horn" too much as my story is in this section of the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss