Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM

283 posts, read 385,357 times

Advertisements

Featuring Drs. Noakes & Phinney. Documentary on fat adapting to set new world records and train harder and longer. Also an iron athlete who became pre-diabetic from his former carb loading diet.

Interesting note from the one athlete that tap water and table salt are the perfect sports drink.

Comments welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:41 PM

192 posts, read 250,295 times
Another "documentary" to sway the public to take meat out of the "bad" category, while creating a new niche to profit from. So they're struggling to make it true.

I've become way to familiar with this "Docutrickary" trend. Did they include the info below, or did they use the typical/paleo half-truths that politicians use.

Here's an article written by a low-carber:
Primal North: Timothy A Olson - Featured Low Carb Athlete

You can see the false statements and lack of open-ness (my HIGH-carb, HIGH-cal community is the most open)

"Timothy Olson...demonstrated he can do the event on low-carb"

what DID he eat?

Low carb researcher Steve Phinney was asked what Olsen ate for the race: "I wouldn’t tell you the details even if I knew because it’s confidential research information. And I don’t think he’d want any of the details of what he’s doing to be public, because, realize, all of a sudden this guy knows
absolutely that he’s got a remarkable competitive edge."

BS. He just doesn't have to slow-down to eat. Except he DID.......

Phinney never mentioned Olson does consume in-race carbohydrate in the form of soft drinks, Gu gels, oranges, Cliff gels, honey stingers, and the carbohydrate-rich EFS drink.

Olsen: "I decided to have a few quick drinks of Sierra Mist and two orange slices"
"restock my pockets with gels that work for me."

Old 11-11-2014, 01:49 PM

Oh I forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
became pre-diabetic from his former carb loading diet.
..........IF the high-carb diet was also high in fat, which is the typical American diet.

Diabetes, is mostly caused by putting carbs(refined is worse) WITH fat in a diet, which nature doesn't do with any food. Refined carbs are worse. The reason carbs and fat are maligned AND defended is they're only bad TOGETHER!!!!

The reason: Too much fat blocks insulin receptors from taking glucose from the blood - leading to prolonged high levels of blood glucose, which prolongs insulin production.
Because glucose can't leave the bloodstream, the pancreas continues to create redundant insulin, leading to exhaustion of pancreas, and diabetes.

* How Free Fatty Acids Inhibit Glucose Utilization in Human Skeletal Muscle | Physiology 'Studies in humans clearly demonstrated that FFA(fat) directly inhibit glucose transport
and phosphorylation in muscle cells'

* 'Fat disrupts sugar sensors causing diabetes' - BBC News - Fat 'disrupts sugar sensors causing type 2 diabetes'

All diabetics eat a high-fat diet and always did.

- Gary High-Fruit
[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/7TcBzbi1eXqyjlVrdUN1zRQXGHc95aXRj33-BUKKGN098qJkL76kt8*7ZQLU9K-9Og5j7lZ7UHqaQ9SaSqN-n*VCv97kFy1v/copyfor30bad.jpg?width=70&height=70[/IMG]
46 years old

Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM

283 posts, read 385,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Another "documentary" to sway the public to take meat out of the "bad" category, while creating a new niche to profit from. So they're struggling to make it true.
What would this documentary profit from? Macadamia nut sales? Couldn't the same be said about Ornish's cookbooks available on Amazon?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:50 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
I have trouble buying the high fat argument based on how I react to wheat and sugar. If I eat Special K in the morning with non-fat milk, a meal that is low-fat, two hours later, I'm suffering the effects of hypoglycemia--in a bad and scary way. Same goes if I were to just eat a cup of grapes for breakfast. I'm dizzy and shaky. Conversely, I can eat two whole eggs with cheese and an avocado on it and I'm fine for hours. In fact, I've found I eat less overall when I don't try to remove the fat from my diet--and I lose weight.

Granted, though I've been tested annually, I don't show signs of diabetes or even pre-diabetes. I just know I react very very badly to sugar and wheat and it doesn't matter if there is fat in it.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
If I eat Special K in the morning with non-fat milk, ....or a cup of grapes for breakfast......... I'm dizzy and shaky.....two hours later, I'm suffering the effects of hypoglycemia
a cup of grapes is 40 calories. Almost nothing. Hypo, meaning low.
It matters what you ate the last 36 hours, because fat stays in the blood-stream for up to that long. And if you have glycemic issues, you should know they're cause is a diet high in fat WITH carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I eat less overall when I don't try to remove the fat from my diet--and I lose weight.
How much do you weight now? ...and does it fluctuate?

Eating less isn't sustainable and causes your body to fight with cravings. Then it stores fat for those occasions when you don't eat enough. High-fat diets cause the body's appetite to shut down, and u don't eat enough. That's the reason you over-eat.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
What would this documentary profit from? Macadamia nut sales? Couldn't the same be said about Ornish's cookbooks available on Amazon?

There's a billion dollar industry that sells a high-fat product. You know what it is. That's a lot of money to lose, and people have been cutting back since the 90's. Look at a paleo forum; they're not getting exited about nuts (avatars of a caveman holding a spear)

Old 11-11-2014, 09:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Meat is not bad for you. Veggies are not bad for you. All things in moderation.

Anyone who tries to make you believe one diet extreme or another is the only way, is pushing an agenda.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Anyone who tries to make you believe one diet extreme or another is the only way, is pushing an agenda.
Heck, it doesn't even have to be extreme. I think anyone who believes one diet is THE diet for everyone is selling something.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:50 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Keto-adaptation, not even full adaptation.....but just to the point where you are functioning normally, can take some time, YMMV. I think this is one of the reasons people fail on a low-carb diet.....getting over the low-carb slump can take longer than people are willing to put up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss