Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM

662 posts, read 313,311 times

Advertisements

We have an industrialized food system that "designs" food to be far easier to overeat than real, whole foods without flavorings or chemical additives. Personal responsibility for what one eats is important, but its just as important to have a food supply that isn't loaded with junk designed by groups of scientists and consumer taste tested to make sure people will eat a lot of it regardless of how healthy it is.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:41 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Be careful with ketogenic diets. I've studied them a lot, I've read the wondrous stories of keto successes. I'm amazed at some of them eating only raw meat with some raw fat mixed in. I just can't accept that's healthy even if it works, due to my long familiarity with what constitutes a healthy, balanced diet. Keto just does not pass my sniff test.
Raw meat and raw fat? Not this girl. You definitely don't have to eat that. Gguerra's list is what I eat too.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:20 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I cook with olive oil only.
I rotate or use for different things: olive oil (light cooking, dressings) , grape seed oil (high heat), avocado oil, coconut oil (thai food, baking etc.), and various nut oils on occasion. Oh, I also have a MCT oil which is low heat/light flavor.

I have no desire to limit my micro nutrients like antioxidants and stuff by going keto. Both times my autoimmune issues flared up horribly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
I don't fry much, but when I do, it's often with butter. If I'm doing a stir fry, I use Grape seed oil and a bit of Sesame oil.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Like me. I did some research today but my head wasn't into chemistry so I dropped it, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Raw meat and raw fat? Not this girl. You definitely don't have to eat that. Gguerra's list is what I eat too.
That's the part of keto that hit my limit. I can see having just a chunk of cooked beef for dinner. I cannot see eating it raw, let alone raw fat too. Some keto enthusiasts endorse raw meat with raw fat. That violates all nutritional knowledge I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I rotate or use for different things: olive oil (light cooking, dressings) , grape seed oil (high heat), avocado oil, coconut oil (thai food, baking etc.), and various nut oils on occasion. Oh, I also have a MCT oil which is low heat/light flavor.
I suggest that your avocado oil can suffice for your grape seed oil. As I said avocado oil has the highest smoke point of all cooking oils.

I love that you and I share an interest in Thai cooking, and I have tons of coconut (and palm) oil as supplies for my soapmaking. I sometimes use coconut oil for my Thai recipes.

What is MCT?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't fry much, but when I do, it's often with butter. If I'm doing a stir fry, I use Grape seed oil and a bit of Sesame oil.
Sesame oil is a delightful seasoning oil. I couldn't live without it, not with my enthusiasm for Asian cooking.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I know why Americans are so damn fat!

So do I. They eat more in calories than they expend.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Sesame oil is a delightful seasoning oil. I couldn't live without it, not with my enthusiasm for Asian cooking.
Same here!

Since cutting out gluten, I have also basically cut out butter. However, I do use sesame oil because I love love love me some Asian food!

Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Like me. I did some research today but my head wasn't into chemistry so I dropped it, for now.

That's the part of keto that hit my limit. I can see having just a chunk of cooked beef for dinner. I cannot see eating it raw, let alone raw fat too. Some keto enthusiasts endorse raw meat with raw fat. That violates all nutritional knowledge I have.

I suggest that your avocado oil can suffice for your grape seed oil. As I said avocado oil has the highest smoke point of all cooking oils.

I love that you and I share an interest in Thai cooking, and I have tons of coconut (and palm) oil as supplies for my soapmaking. I sometimes use coconut oil for my Thai recipes.

What is MCT?

I forgot sesame oil! I have a half gallon.

MCT is medium chain triglyceride (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...lycerides-mcts). It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I won't buy it again.

I agree with the avocado versus grape seed. I usually rotate between the two for higher temps, buy one then buy the other when it runs out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Kathryn, I can see no dietary reason to not eat butter. I can see plenty of reasons to not eat margarine, and I cut out margarine 3-4 years ago. I'll be willing to debate the healthfulness of butter, particularly against margarine. Noting that butter has one of the lightest (smallest molecular size) fats. I can't find any health related reason to not eat butter.

Mikala, how the hell did you buy a GALLON of sesame oil? Do you bathe in it?

But SRSLY I can't believe you bought that MCT. That sounds seriously Frankenstein.

I can't understand ANY reason to buy grape seed or rotate with avocado. As I said, I have only two oils: olive and avocado.

I should disclose: I have a BS degree and 2 years of college chemistry as background. I've been cooking since I was about 15 years old. I have a serious interest in my own health and have been a 'health hound' since college. I have a serious interest in cooking oils as they affect our health, my health. I am seriously interested in oils as used in cooking. I know all that cis and trans and poly- and mono-unsaturated stuff. I use the same knowledge as a an amateur soapmaker where our oils are the major force in soap recipes. I have it on oils from science, health, cooking, and soapmaking. I recognize that I don't know everything because I'm still perplexed from an earlier post in this topic, I now question again if my choice of olive oil as my primary oil is wise. I'll re-research it.

And also, my principal oils used in soapmaking are olive, coconut, palm, and castor oil. (Of course you wouldn't want to consume castor oil, but it makes great suds and creaminess in soap.) I sometimes borrow coconut or palm oil from my soapmaking stock, when the whim strikes me. I buy my oils from a commercial supplier, dirt cheap because I buy in quantity. I get my olive from Amazon, Kirkland brand, same as Costco. (Except my OO drives itself here courtesy of Amazon Prime, while Costco is a long drive for me.) I don't buy the extra virgin stuff. Kirkland non-EV OO is fine with me. I don't know what they mean by 'virgin.' I hope my imagination is rampant.

Between me and Sonic I think we have both sides of 'poly' covered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.