Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times

Advertisements

Observation.
Two truckers eating breakfast yesterday in a small,independent cafe in Oldsmar.
One in his mid-40s had eggs,toast and coffee.About average size for his height.
The second, in his 20s, had a cheese omelette,bacon,sausage links,fried potatoes,five waffles and a long pour of syrup all on one very large plate.He only used a fork.
To go with this he had two plates of toast and five packs of butter,a coffee and a large Coke.
Had to be 250lbs and not much of it muscle.
I find people's eating habits remarkable to watch.Free theatre of the absurd.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Observation.
Two truckers eating breakfast yesterday in a small,independent cafe in Oldsmar.
One in his mid-40s had eggs,toast and coffee.About average size for his height.
The second, in his 20s, had a cheese omelette,bacon,sausage links,fried potatoes,five waffles and a long pour of syrup all on one very large plate.He only used a fork.
To go with this he had two plates of toast and five packs of butter,a coffee and a large Coke.
Had to be 250lbs and not much of it muscle.
I find people's eating habits remarkable to watch.Free theatre of the absurd.
I also observe people's eating and food shopping habits as relating to their weight.

It makes me sad and sympathetic to see someone very overweight who has trouble walking and some seem to be in pain. I want to wrap my arms around them and talk to them about changing their eating habits to end their pain.

But, like smoking or over-drinking alcohol, it's none of my business and each of us must make up our own mind on how we care for our bodies.

I just hate seeing people destroying their health through their forks and spoons.

Obesity hits close to home. I have a sibling who is morbidly obese and has diabetes and other serious health issues. There are some long-standing psychological issues that he doesn't care to deal with. He shovels food in almost without chewing. For him, it's not about the food. Food seems to fill a void for him; alleviates pain.

A very complex issue, isn't it, this obesity?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
The saddest thing I have ever witnessed was a morbidly obese family shopping. It was Dad and Mom, both at least 100-200 lbs overweight, and two kids around 8 or 10. They were bursting at he seams, already at the morbid stage of obesity. There were frozen pizzas and liter bottles of soda in the cart. The worst part though was the kids were both eating candy bars as they walked through the store.
Normally I don't bother looking at what other people buy, but this was shocking and sad. My heart broke for those kids.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The saddest thing I have ever witnessed was a morbidly obese family shopping. It was Dad and Mom, both at least 100-200 lbs overweight, and two kids around 8 or 10. They were bursting at he seams, already at the morbid stage of obesity. There were frozen pizzas and liter bottles of soda in the cart. The worst part though was the kids were both eating candy bars as they walked through the store.
Normally I don't bother looking at what other people buy, but this was shocking and sad. My heart broke for those kids.
The part i hate about people walking around in stores eating, especially messy candy, is that they will get it all over their hands and then touch clothes, shopping carts, drop it on the floor, leave wrappers in the aisle, if they dont pay for it now they have shoplifted. I dont want some kid putting their sticky chocolaty hands on the merchandise.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I totally ignore those supermarket taste samplers where an employee or manufacturer's representative hands out free samples of their goods. Or when asked I simply tell them I'm not hungry.

The truth is that I'm not a daytime nibbler, that I don't want to mess with my eating timer, and particularly that it grosses me out that I don't know if they prepared the samples in a hygienic way.

Then there's the problem that I see used sample cups sitting on shelves around the store or tossed in shopping carts and I have to find a clean cart when entering the store. I'm OCD in not being able to use any shopping cart that isn't totally empty!

And anyway its usually gross stuff I know I wouldn't eat anyway, particularly if it is something sweet. Myself, I'm a salt person, salt is MY flavor!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
That's one thing I *don't* miss about being overweight. The judgment. Let's see, I'm a size 8/10 now and I go out to eat and consume a big meal chock full o' calories (which I do once per week) and that's ok since I am not overweight. Yet the overweight version of me goes out to eat and orders the exact same thing and I'll get internet consternation. SMH.

People who are overweight will forever be targets, I guess. I don't eat carrots and baked chicken all of the time. I watch what I eat MOST of the time. I fully acknowledge that I am not the perfect dieter or eater. I do what I can. It's just a shame that people make judgments based on what they put in their shopping carts. My only issue with the obesity epidemic is that people just need to own it and stop shifting around the blame. This isn't to downplay legitimate issues...but too often people want to consume a lot while not moving at all and then seem oblivious as to why the pounds come on. Especially after 35. At 41, I know that my metabolism is in the crapper. I have to work twice as hard and I'm still not the same weight I was when I married. But it's either I do the work, or I have additional health issues. I choose the former, and Lord willing, I'll continue.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I'll admit I wasn't in this topic from the beginning, and also admit I've read naught but the last few weeks. I sense that the topic was originally one of recriminations, but the topic I've seen and known over the last few weeks since I began my participation has been that it is a topic of information, of enthusiasm, a support topic for me where I have been encouraged to go pedal to the metal and eat less, exercise more. Upon reading what has been said here I know that I am assured of success as long as I keep on keeping on. My course has been set and I am going to reach my twin goals of physical fitness and attractive appearance to my gender opposites, by the use of my twin tools of a healthful diet combined with a deliberate program of physical fitness exercise at my gym.

Yes I know it is a losing battle, at your age, at my age, at any age. But it isn't about winning the battle at all. You can't win the war unless you win some battles, and even in losing the battles it matters that you fought. Winning the war to me is living the good life, in living a long life in good health. Of course I'm going to ultimately lose that war, we all do. The point is to extend the war as long as you can, because in life the point isn't winning the war at all. It's all about fighting the good battles. And all we have to do to accomplish that is make the right lifestyle choices that lead to good health, and to my mind good health and fitness is the most attractive physical attribute in those who I seek. I'm assured that as long as I fight the good battles I will find my gender opposite who thinks the same as I do, and in the end that's all I really want out of life. That and to enjoy it for as long as I am able.

Yet the formula is so simple! Just eat well and exercise well. You don't even have to do it all the time. Doing it most of the time is quite sufficient. It's a battle you can't lose unless you decline to even make the attempt. And even runners up take away some good from it all.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Typically obesity breeds children into obesity simply due to the kids growing up in a household where poor food choices and over eating are common place daily occurrences.

I think that's sad as well. I sometimes wander how these families can afford their food bills - which must be outrageous. Seriously ... think of 4-5 obese people ( mom dad couple kids ) all consuming 4000-5000-8000 calories of junk food on a daily basis. And typically junk food is kind of expensive. I guesstimate a monthly food bill equal to many peoples mortgage payment ( maybe $1500-2000 ) - That's like $20,000 dollars a year in after tax earnings to feed themselves ? How can they sustain that cost when likely most obese families are not 2 income wage earner families.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Typically obesity breeds children into obesity simply due to the kids growing up in a household where poor food choices and over eating are common place daily occurrences.
I have many dear sweet friends and family members that are obese. I know it's not easy for some to get to and stay at a healthy weight, I've had to fight weight gain my whole life.

We'll go to holiday gatherings with family and they make the same traditional foods that they have for decades, I'll call it "white foods", the opposite of the healthy colorful plate that nutritionists want us to eat. It's food made with love, yet the very food that keeps most of the family overweight and unhealthy. On one side of our family, there are 3 of us who buck the trend and bring healthy green fresh salads and veggies and we are the only ones who eat it.

It's heartbreaking to have loved ones that are 100 pounds overweight.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I totally ignore those supermarket taste samplers where an employee or manufacturer's representative hands out free samples of their goods. Or when asked I simply tell them I'm not hungry.

The truth is that I'm not a daytime nibbler, that I don't want to mess with my eating timer, and particularly that it grosses me out that I don't know if they prepared the samples in a hygienic way.

Then there's the problem that I see used sample cups sitting on shelves around the store or tossed in shopping carts and I have to find a clean cart when entering the store. I'm OCD in not being able to use any shopping cart that isn't totally empty!

And anyway its usually gross stuff I know I wouldn't eat anyway, particularly if it is something sweet. Myself, I'm a salt person, salt is MY flavor!

You're also gonna hate buffets and salad bars.. My daughter who worked as a server in a restaurant, said that people take the spoon that is in the food at the salad bar, and taste the salad dressing, and then put the spoon right back for you to help yourself to it. they also take a taste of the other food, and put the fork back into the food for the next person in line.

Also people do sneeze on the food even though they have the sneeze guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss